MicroMuppy002

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jonyo

#16 Post by jonyo »

Re-read the posts & didn't mention all my lap info. One is an ibm 380 ed p150 80 megs (upgraded from 32) a ram. Took a chance, lenovo site sez it'll only take 48.

Other one is a compaq presario 1220 p200mmx 80 megs a ram (also upgraded from 32).

jonyo

Re: MicroMuppy002

#17 Post by jonyo »

MDG wrote:Toddyjoe,
Ilook forward to an update on this!

BTW, do you have wifi working? If so, what card are you using?

MDG
Some of these ol' laps require or only work with (~ rare) 16 bit wifi cards. I have a few setup on on 2 diff ol" laps that work great in win 98 & some have got it to work good in some pup variants (1.04, 2.01 - .13 & .14 come to mind) with the oronoco_cs driver that's been with pup for awhile. I'm still working on it in pup98 & 2.16 & haven't sorted it out yet with the ibm 380 ed & compaq presario 1220.

There's is only one card that fits the 16 bit pcmcia wifi card scenario (includes proper voltage & fit) that I know of that is still plentiful (~ 10 bucks on e-bay) - netgear ma401. A search of ma401 in pup brings up ~ 17 hits.

You're not with the MDG Co. outa Toronto maybe?

jonyo

#18 Post by jonyo »

Worked out.:) thx!
muggins wrote:jonyo,

if you dload sbootmgr.dsk from here:

http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/ ... ootmgr.dsk

then in linux do:

dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0

or for windows, google for rawrite.exe, then you would do:

c:\rawrite sbootmgr.dsk a:

muggins

#19 Post by muggins »

also for your notebook of things to remember, for those odd occasions when the smb boot floppy doesn't detect your cdrom drive, write this down somewhere:
occasionally i've come across it not giving the cdrom boot option, then if you bring up the sbm system menu by pressing <tab>, then select "set cdrom ports", enter "1F0,3F6" <enter>, then click "rescan all drives", and, hey presto, there's your cdrom boot option. i've used this for several pc's where the bios wasn't even aware of the cdrom drive!