WPA wizard connection with two RA2500s - 1/2 with 2.14

davids45

WPA wizard connection with two RA2500s - 1/2 with 2.14

#1 Post by davids45 »

I have 2 similar Medion desktop computers, both have RALINK 2500 wireless setups. Under Windows XP, both show identical drivers (rt2500usb.sys), and both connect via my wireless router with XP.

Just trying my newly burnt Puppy 2.14 live CDs, instant success with the new Network wizard and the RT2570 driver on the newer SATA drive 8818 Medion computer (2.14 cannot see the SATA harddrive, by the way). I have eth0 (wired) and rausb0 (wireless) network connections running. Well done Rarsa, et al. :D

However, ....the 2.14 Live CD wizard in the older Medion 8383 with the Puppy-fetchable hard-drive and an existing and well-running 2.13 full hard-drive installation falls over at the last wireless hurdle. [I had not tried to set up the wireless with 2.13 on either of these computers.]

The wizard loads the RT2570 driver, up comes an active rausb0, it finds my WPA-encrypted wireless network (and even some of the neighbours' networks), but cannot connect to my network, whether using DHCP or I manually enter the static IP details. Blinky reckons there were data interchanges while it's trying to connect but no connection ensues.

Doesn't matter if the wired eth0 is up (I'm using this now) or down. Everything looks great on the rausb0 wireless link, except the final connection to my WPA network. RutilT goes through the same 60 seconds trying to connect without success.
Two very similar computers with a WPA router a metre away, 1 instant success, 1 repeated failure, but what looks like a failure grabbed from the jaws of success.

Any suggestions?

David S.

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

Sorry I cannot give you a straight answer. To be able to find what the problem is, you'll have to be my hands and eyes while debuging the problem.

Please try executing the corresponding wpa startup command directly from the command console on both computers and tell me if you see something obvious on the debug information. Having them side by side while you do this test may help as the output is quite verbose.

Do this in each computer:

1. Turn the computers on
2. Ensure that both computers have exactly the same configuration in /etc/wpa_supplicant.config
3. Rename the startup configuration files

Code: Select all

mv /etc/rausb0mode /etc/rausb0mode.bk
mv /etc/rausb0mode /etc/rausb0wireless.bk
4. Turn off the computers (I want to start with exactly the same conditions from a cold boot)
5. Turn on the computers.
6. Open a command console (rxvt) and maximize it
6. Execute the following command (It will keep running. It won't return to the prompt)

wpa_supplicant -D wext -i rausb0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd
7. Check the output, do you see something obviously different?
8. When you are done checking the previous output, open another command console (rxvt) and execute

wpa_cli status
On the computer that is connecting the status should be "CONNECTED". What is the status in the other one?
9. Check the output on the console where the supplicant is running. When you execute the wpa_cli status, it generates more output. Do you see something obviously different?
Last edited by rarsa on Sun 25 Feb 2007, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

rarsa,
should "/etc/wpa_supplicant.config" be "/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf" ?