For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Erik Veenstra

QEMU-Puppy 2.01-1

#1 Post by Erik Veenstra »

I've just released QEMU-Puppy 2.01-1.

QEMU-Puppy is an OS and a set of applications on a USB memory
stick. This OS can be booted natively, or on top of an other,
already installed, OS. Just borrow a PC, boot your own
environment and return the PC unaffected.

"No installation, no garbage..."

More information and download:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/index.html

(Please grab the torrent and seed it for a while.)

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/

PS: I run into a non-bootable system when building QEMU-Puppy
2.02. Probably as a result of the bigger initrd.gz? I'm not
sure yet...

Sit Heel Speak

#2 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

The torrent is giving a 425 HTTP error as of this writing, but it is downloadable through SourceForge. I'm downloading it right now on the Superb Internet, Seattle mirror.

Erik Veenstra

#3 Post by Erik Veenstra »

> The torrent is giving a 425 HTTP error as of this writing...

The web site of Linux Tracker is awfully slow, indeed. But, the
tracker itself is up and running. So, skip the web site and
start with the torrents. I've put them on my site:

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qempuppy/dow ... gz.torrent
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qempuppy/dow ... gz.torrent

gegroet,

Mtree

#5 Post by Mtree »

Dear Erik,

First, thank you for putting together QEMU Puppy 2.

With the cleaner mount and union of the .sfs files it is now possible to use your QEMU with other puppy_save.sfs files and I just loaded QEMU puppy into XP with a puppy_202 remastered file that included a complete XANDROS 4 underdog.lnx partition. About 450 mgs. And it all works!!!
Had to rename the puppy_202 to puppy_201 to match your script, but, heh, who cares?

It works. :)

Mtree

M.Gregg

#6 Post by M.Gregg »

Hi,

Erik, I would like to say that creating the qemu puppy creates a brilliant learning environment for newbies. I learned a lot with the earlier qemu puppy's and it helped me to understand how to manipulate files. The most important thing is for people to understand puppy and be able to create working examples.

The problem with other distros is (first impressions) when you work for days only to find that no hardware is recognised and that one program after another has bug's. Qemu cuts straight to the heart of this problem with a creation that works and looks brlliant. Your hard work is never in vein!

Kind regards
Michael

MU

#7 Post by MU »

Erik, I run the Qemu-Puppy109 in Puppy 2.02 to be able to test my programs in both environments.

I'd like to use Ftp to exchange files among them, but using your nifty Ftp-Server I get:
sh-3.1# ./ftpserver_qemu_linux
/tmp/eee.ftpserver_linux.2/bin/ruby: warning: Insecure world writable dir /tmp, mode 040777
/tmp/eee.ftpserver_linux.2/bin/ruby: loading from unsafe file /tmp/eee.ftpserver_linux.2/bootstrap.rb (SecurityError)
sh-3.1#
Is this a new problem, or was this fixed in newer versions, so I should take the ftp-server from the 2.01 Qemu?

**edit** just tried the one from Qemu-Puppy 2.01, it throws the same error and exits.

**edit2** I changed the permissions of /tmp now as a workaround, and the server runs. Very helpfull tool :!: :)

Thanks, Mark

Erik Veenstra

#8 Post by Erik Veenstra »

> I'd like to use Ftp to exchange files among them, but using
> your nifty Ftp-Server I get:
>
> Quote:
>
> sh-3.1# ./ftpserver_qemu_linux
> /tmp/eee.ftpserver_linux.2/bin/ruby: warning: Insecure world writable dir /tmp, mode 040777
> /tmp/eee.ftpserver_linux.2/bin/ruby: loading from unsafe file /tmp/eee.ftpserver_linux.2/bootstrap.rb (SecurityError)
> sh-3.1#

FTPServer is built in Ruby. Ruby checks the permissions of
every directory in the path to a script before it runs it.
Because I use RubyScript2Exe to build to executable, /tmp is
part of these paths. So, the sticky bit of /tmp should be set:

chmod +t /tmp

There's nothing I can do in the application to work around this
problem. It's an environment issue.

> Is this a new problem, or was this fixed in newer versions,
> so I should take the ftp-server from the 2.01 Qemu?

It's always been a problem.

gegroet,

MU

#9 Post by MU »

ok thanks, using chmod works ok :)
Mark

MU

#10 Post by MU »

here is my contribution to Eriks great work: KQemu, the Kernel-acceleration-module, and Qemu 0.8.2 with a small "startup-wizard".

Tested/compiled in Puppy 2.02, so I don't know, if it works in 2.00 or 2.01, as the Kernel is slightly different.

You first must extract Eriks Qemu Puppy 109.
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/qemu ... z?download

Then these 3 Dotpups:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Emulators/KQemu-Puppy109/

Now you can run from the Dotpups-menu Puppy 109 in Puppy 2.02, in a window or fullscreen.
Great to test new Dotpups :)

Screenshot:

The Kqemu is simply a dotpup of the sourcecode, with the already compiled Kernel-module added (to meet the license-conditions).
You can uninstall it in Pupget, once QPuppy was started the first time, only the Kernelmodule remains then.

The QPuppy will install this module automatically, let you search for Eriks installation, and run a new Qemu with KQemu-support.
It does not overwrite Eriks files, instead it creates only some symlinks in a new folder.

I added some dialogs to make the usage slightly easier, as I always forget the options of Qemu.

I also use a trick (second virtual display) for fullscreen, as for me QPuppy sometimes hanged in normal fullscreen-mode at shutdown.
With the second display, you can hit CTRL-ALT-Backspace in this case, to return to Puppy.
I did not test that in Xvesa, only Xorg, so use Xvesa at own risk and report your results please.
The dialogs inform you about that option.
And Eriks real great Ftp-server is run automatically with QPuppy giving access to "/" in gFTP.

To use another Puppy than 109, adapt the "qpuppy" bashscript accordingly to match the different filenames (like initrd.gz instead of image.gz)

Enjoy, Mark
(feel free to grab anything from it for own scripts)

MU

#11 Post by MU »

my QPuppy started the ftp-server at every Qemu-start, causing many files in /tmp.
I added a check for a running instance of the ftp-server now.
I had no success yet with it, when I ran win98 in Qemu.
Leechftp and Total Commander can connect it, but cannot get the "dir" then, and finally interrupt the connection.
Also with the Dos-comandline ftp I had no success.
More see here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5189#65189

Mark
Last edited by MU on Thu 26 Jul 2007, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Béèm

#12 Post by Béèm »

Mtree wrote:Dear Erik,

First, thank you for putting together QEMU Puppy 2.

With the cleaner mount and union of the .sfs files it is now possible to use your QEMU with other puppy_save.sfs files and I just loaded QEMU puppy into XP with a puppy_202 remastered file that included a complete XANDROS 4 underdog.lnx partition. About 450 mgs. And it all works!!!
Had to rename the puppy_202 to puppy_201 to match your script, but, heh, who cares?

It works. :)

Mtree
I just installed Qemu on my XP.
Booted the virtual machine from the virtual cdrom with the puppy_2.02-seamonkey.iso.
Had created a virtual disk to store the puppy_save.
Couldn't run in xorg, but yet in xvesa (800x600x24).
But it runs ooh soo sloow.

Do you have that experienc also?
Puppy Linux 2.02 SMkey, KDE354mini, wine0.9.20, devx-qt-renamed.
Puppy Linux 2.10r1 SMkey, JWM, devx_qt_renamed_210, KDE355mini

arausch

Puppy 2.12

#13 Post by arausch »

I'm probably missing something really simple here, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

The puppy 2.01 that comes with your Qemu-Puppy works great, but when I try to replace it with 2.12 I can't get the networking portion to work.

I've replaced the pup_201.sfs file with the newer pup_212.sfs.
I've replaced the ext_201.sfs file with the zdrv_212.sfs (driver pack).
I've put the following in a batch file:

allinoneqemu.exe -hda pup_hda.vft -hdb zdrv_212.sfs -hdc pup_212.sfs -hdd pup_save.3fs -m 256

It runs correctly, but just won't load any network drivers (manually or with autoprobe).

Booting directly from the USB stick with the 2.12 version loads up the networking without a hitch, so it's gotta be something I'm missing with allinoneqemu.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew

arausch

I'm an idiot

#14 Post by arausch »

Ok, so I'm an idiot.
The problem is that when it loads your initrd.gz and vmlinuz it is laoding the wrong version, so it looks in the wrong place for the modules. I tried tricking it by creating a link to the correct module directory, but it gave some type of error about 'Module structure mismatch'.

I've tried replacing the files in pup_hda.vft with the newer versions, but I end up with a 'Kernel Panic'. So I need to figure out how to install the patches to these files. If/when I figure it out I'll post it here, if someone beats me to it please post here.

Thanks,
Andrew

darkerror05

#15 Post by darkerror05 »

ok I am trying the same thing. Could anyone tell me how to edit the .vft file?
-darkerror

arausch

VFT Files

#16 Post by arausch »

The VFT files are simply image files (.img) that are renamed to .vft (virtual-fat). You can create them with rawrite or qemu-img (I think thats what it's called).

In windows you can use WinImage to modify/create .img files.

I still haven't figured out how to apply the patches to the files located in puppy_hda.vft, but I honestly haven't put alot of time into it (yet).

darkerror05

#17 Post by darkerror05 »

Thanks that helps alot. Now i probebly will just make a new image. Will I have to rename it to the .vft?
-darkerror

netjess

QEMU Puppy

#18 Post by netjess »

I was wondering....
Why is this over 200MB? Before I looked here I downloaded the latest QEMU and Full Puppy ISO and have it on a 128 thumb it is only taking up 100MB.
Now I will confess that I havn't gotten the networking ironed out w/o having to use Win-Tab (openVPN) to bridge the nic. that is only another 1MB, but you have to jack with the host system. I am just getting started though. I have not used QEMU before this.

Is it the games you put on or is it items that you are using to get it to work more universal with less config changes?

Do you have a setup with less fluff and just basic apps, Office items, Browser, mail and maybe gzine.

FYI,
This is how I am launching it:
REM Start qemu on windows.
@ECHO OFF

REM SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx is faster than windib. But keyboard cannot work well.
SET SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib

REM SDL_AUDIODRIVER=waveout or dsound can be used. Only if QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=sdl.
SET SDL_AUDIODRIVER=dsound

REM QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=dsound or fmod or sdl or none can be used. See qemu -audio-help.
SET QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=dsound

REM QEMU_AUDIO_LOG_TO_MONITOR=1 displays log messages in QEMU monitor.
SET QEMU_AUDIO_LOG_TO_MONITOR=0

REM PCI-based PC(default): -M pc
REM ISA-based PC : -M isapc
REM -M isapc is added for NE2000 ISA card.

qemu.exe -L . -m 512 -cdrom puppy.iso -soundhw all -localtime -M pc

Erik Veenstra

#19 Post by Erik Veenstra »