Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Development Ideas/Requests

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#271 Post by Lobster »

cb88 wrote:Maybe Lobster could use it as a basis for his time machine top speed 190 mph twice the speed previous speculation has deemed nessesary.
The universe is expanding (quite fast too). Moving (physically) to the same spot but a different time, puts you in space. Part of the reason for starting with broadcasting to the past or future is to make this less of an issue. Once a link of future to past relay broadcasts are set up, we will have the knowledge basis on how best to proceed.

http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/tmxx/dido.html
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

Re: heavyweight unified request list (HURL)

#272 Post by WhoDo »

dot wrote:Filesystem Explorer:

Could you please include XFE in the standard .iso, to replace the similar but uglier uXplor? As a Windows refugee, I'm used to working with tools like XFE; I like to see the filesystem tree and I do become annoyed with ROX's window clutter on occasion.
Xfe was already IN, but due to a glitch in compiling from the Unleashed package, it didn't show up in the menu. That has been fixed for the next release.
dot wrote:Codecs:

Isn't Gxine based on the same engine as MPlayer? Their homepage has a link to an extended codec pack, so what if the woof-woof page said something like: "If you need WMV / ASF functionality, get it from here ... Check the laws of your country first"? (I think the VLC has a line of legalese somewhere that says "users are responsible for paying MP3 licence fees to the artists" or something like that.)
I would prefer if all multimedia was contained in a single squash (sfs) file. Then the issue of proprietary codecs becomes moot, AFAIK. They become a separate download by each individual user, which keeps the licensing intact.
dot wrote:Browser / Mail:

Firefox and Thunderbird for me, please. They're bulky, but I really need the add-on functionality (Scrapbook! DownThemAll! Flashblock! CacheView!). Besides, their sleek looks and good reputation might be comforting for Linux newbies (like myself).
In the upcoming web_215.sfs that will be available with RC1 Office Edition. Have you tried the new version of Seamonkey in RC1 Standard Edition yet? I actually prefer it to Firefox myself.
dot wrote:Puppy versions:

My preference would be for one expandable standard version. As a user of Puppy 2.14, I keep seeing posts about how Pizzapup has this and Grafpup does it that way, and what awesome tools Muppy has - I want them all! I'm a bit tired of distro-shopping right now.
I'm fine with Abiword in the standard edition and OOo as a separate download. By the time you reach the limits of Abiword functionality, you will probably have decided that Puppy is for you and worth expanding.
Question to the kernel / startup experts: is it possible to specify and change preferences on which apps to load into RAM at startup?
Search the forum for Sunburnt's posts on his sfs file GUI bootloader, that lets the user determine what flavor of Puppy they will have today! :P
dot wrote:My contribution:

I don't just want to stand on the sidelines and make requests. I'm afraid my Linux and programming skills are extremely limited, but things I could do include:

- Localization. Give me something to translate into German, or from German into English.
- I don't want to promise too much, but I could try my hand at pawedcasting, like recording audio tutorials (English / German). I just need to find a mic and someone to tell me how to make audio files into a podcast.
- Debugging. I could test the dialup apps, for example. I can use the command line and have issued the ./configure - make - make install commands before, sometimes even successfully.
- Crypto: I'm about to test TrueCrypt (and cryptsetup, maybe), so if you're interested in how it went, I'll report back.
These are mostly things that fall into Lobster's baileywick. I'm sure he'd be delighted to get the help you're offering here. Thank you.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

WhoDo

#273 Post by WhoDo »

cb88 wrote:Put the maximixe minimize button back on Gxine Sad (was it's removal intentional?) its a pain without it. Even kind of freaks me out Shocked (maybe I don't quite freak out Laughing ) . Like whoa what happened to the other button. I really hope this isn't happening in any other apps.
Put it back? I didn't take it out! The fact it is missing is a function of the updated version of Gxine. Check out the new configuration options and you can begin to see why they decided it might be redundant. :P

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

WhoDo

#274 Post by WhoDo »

The Alchemist wrote:2.15 looks fantastic, the only thing i´am missing is the possibility to shutdown directly from ICEWM... :lol:
Hmmmm...not sure what you mean by this. Menu>Logout>Shutdown is about as "direct(sic)" as it's ever been. :?

WhoDo

#275 Post by WhoDo »

cb88 wrote:when set to 64mb seamokey (the new theme is really slick) gets sluggish. when I switched back to JWM the menu was out of wack some parts looked normal others really big.
A problem with incorrect size of certain menu icons. Icewm corrects but JWM doesn't. It will be fixed in the next release.
cb88 wrote: As for the boxy puppy logo I like it, the problem is that it needs eyes.
Maybe. It was created from an early M$ Longhorn background that had a stylised steer. I just took the parts of the steer and turned them into a puppy shape. Eyes might work. Maybe getting rid of the logo altogether is even better. We'll see what happens when the Community #irc has its say.
cb88 wrote: A workaround seems to have been implemented in the case of x not starting (it gives an error message something like choose exit to prompt or try to start x agian).
Actually its a fancier version of xwin created by Pizzasgood to overcome that sort of problem.
cb88 wrote: Make the window frame in Vista Black theme the same color as the taskbar or maybe gradient like the menu(i don't think it should fade into white like the. Taskbar and menu look great!
You can do this to your own taste, if you like. The theme is at /root/.icewm/themes/Vista_Black ... all you have to do is modify the various parts of the window frame to taste using Gimp or something similar.
cb88 wrote: Let's dump dillo already just installed hv3 and I could view the community form(that is an exellent start) it seemed fast better than dillo.
Dillo works and hv3 is still immature, IMHO. This was meant to be a consolidation edition i.e. get rid of bugs and usability issues while adding look-and-feel tweaks. I'm sure the community didn't want to introduce a whole new set of potential bugs in what we hope will be a showpiece for Puppy in the wider Linux community. hv3 will wait a little longer. Maybe Barry will include it in 2.16; who knows.
cb88 wrote: There are so many advanced things on the virge of being put into puppy that an upgrade of the 2.15 may be needed within a few short months just to make it worth using reletive to the then current official realease.

No rush on the final seriously,
Well yes and no. Barry wants to release 2.16 Alpha soon, but doesn't want to bring that out until 2.15CE Final has surfaced. He is taking a liesurely route with 2.16 Alpha, and we're trying to accelerate 2.15CE Final. Hopefully it will all come out in an appropriate timeframe.

Although there is a "features freeze" currently in effect for 2.15CE, I would be willing to ignore that for the right usability feature, such as Sunburnt's GUI boot manager, or an update to rarsa's network wizard, etc. Everything else for the next edition will be contained in external "plug-in" squash files that are not subject to the freeze.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#276 Post by Lobster »

those wishing to offer non programming HELP - try here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 689#105689
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DavidBell

#277 Post by DavidBell »

veronicathecow wrote:Hi DavidBell, that was what I also suggested.
Next time I'll refer to them as Dotpup Collections :-)

I also like Reggies scheme, for me with slight variations ...

1/2. Bare Bones boots up to JWM and presents menu listing in a GUI of component selections (better for new users)
3. Make Selections (Same as Reggie)
4. Selection get's downloaded or found on HDD, CD and installed
5. Burn new CD etc (Same as Reggie)

I think it would make a great package, and long term it might make creating new Puppies easier (I guess). It would be nice if was possible to just update the core and/or applications as needed - so within reason new Puppies could use old application collections and vice-versa.

DB

richard.a

#278 Post by richard.a »

WhoDo wrote:
The Alchemist wrote:2.15 looks fantastic, the only thing i´am missing is the possibility to shutdown directly from ICEWM... :lol:
Hmmmm...not sure what you mean by this. Menu>Logout>Shutdown is about as "direct(sic)" as it's ever been. :?
Actually it is fairly simple to put a shut-down icon on ther desktop... there is one shown on a customised desktop capture I posted on another thread somewhere.

Edit
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8&start=15
/Edit

Is that what The Alchemist was meaning, perhaps? I'm a great believer in one click commands, and used to customise AutoCAD for DOS menus for a living some years ago :)

Richard in Adelaide
going to bed time :)
Last edited by richard.a on Fri 23 Mar 2007, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

conradcliff

#279 Post by conradcliff »

Nothing about the toshiba support?... It's probably a dumb question isn't it? I'm such a newb. :(

bobn9lvu

#280 Post by bobn9lvu »

Hey Lobster, you know I really miss the right-click-menus in CE.
I just loaded it up on a C7 1.5 with 512m ram, and it really looks great...
For some reason, even Samba finds all of my networked shares, and even mounts em. :shock:

So, I do have one question;

Is it possible to add/change the theme(s)?
As it is hard to see some of the text.
I find it easier with a lighter background on the window bar(s)....

Bob :arrow: 8) :arrow: 8) :lol:

WhoDo

#281 Post by WhoDo »

bobn9lvu wrote:Is it possible to add/change the theme(s)?
As it is hard to see some of the text.
I find it easier with a lighter background on the window bar(s)....
Menu>Settings>Themes and choose one. IcebergX and Abby are both light background themes.

You can also download a complete theme collection from the PSI repositories.

Hope that helps.

BTW. Right click on desktop to bring up the menu is back in the next release. You can add it yourself by editing /root/.icewm/preferences to read the following at about Line 158:

Code: Select all

#  Manage root window (EXPERIMENTAL - normally enabled!)
GrabRootWindow=1 # 0/1

pupshock

#282 Post by pupshock »

This very interesting thread has gone on for XX pages, and
may well hit XXX pages. This may not necc be a good thing.

There are plenty of great suggestions on this/that browser, editor,
theme, WM, etc. Unfortunately, they are not all compatible
in some way or other with Barry's mission statements,
eg a particular app may be 'big' but 'useful'.

May i respectfully suggest a poll, not based on the
specific app, but on which of Barry's mission statements for
puppylinux is the most important. Then we can move ahead
with the specifics, scoring each suggestion against the
community's expectations of mission statement importance.

Here is my order, in decreasing importance, of the mission statements:
1. It will just work, no hassles.
2. Totally in RAM
3. All apps for daily use
4. Run fast
5. save back to CD/USB if required
6. breathe new life into old PCs
7. easy install.

I dont know how to start a poll. If anyone thinks this is a
reasonable way forward, pls help. thanks

veronicathecow

#283 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi, pupshock, would you be prepared to set up a poll?
My own priorities would be
Ease of installation (If you end up with a broken install you are stuck)
Printing must work
Internet via USB, dial, wireless must work
Speed of bootup and shutdown (People just don't want to wait)
Must be able to coexist with Windows (Perhaps with a grub restore facility in case Windows gets re-installed and breaks Puppy
Runs fast (fully in RAM on older machines but does slow boot times)
Ease of configuring desktop (Time, resolution, adding shortcuts, auto start of programs)
ERGANOMICS. I suffer from RSI, Right mouse on desktop save times and movement. I also have poor vision 2 detached retinas and cataracts so while I appreciate fancy looking desktops a clean, high contrast, good fonts are essential (I'm writing this on a 23 inch monitor set to 1024x768)
Industry standard compatible programs for all common stuff used on Window, Office, GIMP NVU, Thunderbird, Firefox, XMMS, Gxine, MSN, CD/DVD writing, PDF (Achieved by a base Puppy and a CE edition?)
What would others like to see in such a poll?

pupshock

#284 Post by pupshock »

Sure, i dont mind setting up a poll.
Problem is, the forum poll only allows voting for _one_ of the
option statements, not a ranking of the options.
Its tedious, but a method could be:
1st poll on the most important mission statement.
2nd poll on the 2nd most important mission statement
(with the most important mission statement omitted from the
options)
etc ...
any other ideas how to get it done?

headfound

#285 Post by headfound »

Thats a nice idea, but this thread is about 2.15ce which is already on rc2!
Its basically set in stone. A new thread about the next ce with a poll would be good, especially if Barry is going to be changing puppy's structure.
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

WhoDo

#286 Post by WhoDo »

pupshock wrote:any other ideas how to get it done?
How about providing a link to Survey Monkey? Their polling features are way more sophisticated than you could reasonably expect in any BB software, and it's free to use AFAIK.

richard.a

#287 Post by richard.a »

veronicathecow - a set of very good points.

But, may I make the observation that all Community Editions historically appear to have been different in detail from the base version puppylinux distributions, and also from each other, as they all fulfil specific and different purposes.

And because of its completely modular nature, Linux in general is fragmented into hundreds of different arrangements of applications, utilities, and the bits and pieces which make each different group of users happy.

Discussion has occurred over browsers, email clients, and so on, for this particular Community Edition. In discussion changes from the "norm", it is essential that we should make sure that changes should only be "best practice". May I use as an example your thoughts on Networking; imho this is something which should not be tampered with, because we have finally got to the point where it works seamlessly, "with a minimum of fuss" as an airline used to say in its advertising.

What do I mean? Just that ethernet (using Cat5e cable) is the standard around the world, slowly being superceded by wireless.

If you ask specifically for USB connection, this is something not often encountered in professional installations, and is very different for setting up and so on, because it is technically a "poor man's LAN" type of connection.

In five short years of my networking experience, I've only seen one example of an USB networking connection, and that was done on the cheap by a fellow who had little expertise or experience in this field, and used second-hand hardware which had been discarded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical of USB connections, merely this fellow's choice of hardware and his practical way of installing and setting up.

So I believe we should be very careful before polling what we would personally like to use, but rather (as the 2.15ce team leader -WhoDo - has pointed out), it must be our opinions of what the project should achieve.

Individually we can always apply add-ons to the programs in the standard puppy developed by Barry to suit what we want to use ourselves.

I hope nobody takes offence at the points I raised.

Richard in Adelaide.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

pupshock

#288 Post by pupshock »

Yessir, I'll look into a SurveyMonkey survey.
I think it'll be useful to give developers an idea
of what is important in puppy, and repeated surveys
can show how it evolves in time.
It's not aimed specifically for 1.5CE, or even CE at all.

pup2learn222

puppy 2.15ce

#289 Post by pup2learn222 »

Hi all I been thinking instead of making the puppy iso so big, could it be done another way & in my oppinion get the same result at the same time.

Making the iso with everything on it seems a waste if some one will not be using those apps.

1. Why not concentrate the best of your work to fix the so called bugs & make the iso better & smaler. <which should load faster> and d/l faster too for dial up's.

(By bugs I mean why should a simple sound card like awe 32 or 64 be so hard to set up, the wizzard doesnt work cant find the isa card,however if you put modprobe sb in terminal then sound works.Only by editing a file & adding it will return on next boot, how is a newbie just trying out feeling about now.)
Shouldnt this be addressed while booting up without intervention.

2. Put the apps & the pup & pupget files on a seperate downloadable ISO with all the libraries to support the pups or pupget.For a dial up user if they need it.

3. Also combine the 2 above to be placed on the cd iso this way once it is burned everything can be added without the hassle of finding it on the servers out there.By doing it this way the servers will be less in demand & we users would have a copy on our cd's which may help others that need something when the servers are down. Maybe set something up with bittorrent use.

Just burning the iso for a light use & saving to hd file seems a waste of a cd why not put the cd to good use. <This way a person setting up a friends machine to hd can do the whole process without the internet service, just in case they are on dial up too. It just makes sense to me.

richard.a

Re: puppy 2.15ce

#290 Post by richard.a »

pup2learn222 wrote:Making the iso with everything on it seems a waste if some one will not be using those apps.
That is why the regular puppy does not do this. There are a few choices, yes. But nowhere near what is provided in larger distributions of Linux. We are discussing a specific customised version of puppy here :)
pup2learn222 wrote:By bugs I mean why should a simple sound card like awe 32 or 64 be so hard to set up, the wizzard doesnt work cant find the isa card,however if you put modprobe sb in terminal then sound works.Only by editing a file & adding it will return on next boot, how is a newbie just trying out feeling about now.)
Sounds like you have had difficulties with your sound card being detected.

The only "legacy" (ISA) card I can't get to work through running the wizard is an Aztech which came as OEM with HP's Vectras VL series. I've personally had no sound cards, either PCI or onboard (like AC97) that haven't been correctly detected. My Aztech card isn't detected by ANY *nix OS except for SuSE Linux, the first one which I tried was 9.0

pup2learn222 wrote:2. Put the apps & the pup & pupget files on a seperate downloadable ISO with all the libraries to support the pups or pupget.For a dial up user if they need it.
For distribution to friends, I burned the version 2.02 SeaMonkey edition to a CD AS AN ISO along with all the add-ons I thought they might find useful. I figured they could extract the ISO and burn it to their own CD to run.

pup2learn222 wrote:3. Also combine the 2 above to be placed on the cd iso this way once it is burned everything can be added without the hassle of finding it on the servers out there.By doing it this way the servers will be less in demand & we users would have a copy on our cd's which may help others that need something when the servers are down. Maybe set something up with bittorrent use.
Sounds like you are getting away from the Joe User concept of simplicity where someone who knows nothing about computers can slip it into the CD drive, start the computer, and try the OS without needing to do anything else.

pup2learn222 wrote:Just burning the iso for a light use & saving to hd file seems a waste of a cd why not put the cd to good use. <This way a person setting up a friends machine to hd can do the whole process without the internet service, just in case they are on dial up too. It just makes sense to me.
You could burn the ISO to one of those tiny CDs that hold just over 200Mb of data, which come in a plastic case the size of a floppy. However they will cost you more in $ and cents than regular CDs which you can buy in bulk for around 50cents each Australian.

I would rather use a full sized CD which has a decent amount of space to write a description of the contents on its surface.

Just my thoughts, hope they are useful, pup2learn222.

There's a fair bit written on the website... check out specifically what Barry (whose brainchild puppy is) has written in regard to your thinking. Enjoy puppy, it's a great distribution of Linux. Create your own composition and then remaster it yourself using the tools provided in the basic puppy :)

Richard in Adelaide