Puppy 2.15CE "Viz" - Development Ideas/Requests

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
WhoDo

#226 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:@WhoDo: Don't use the package of PupBeGone I gave you, it's faulty. I'm going to just make a brand new version that's faster, better looking, and most important, works. :roll:
Ok. Have removed from 2.15CE Unleashed for the time being. Thanks, mate.

WhoDo

#227 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:@WhoDo: Sorry I can't actively help with the bug-squishing. Too much going on around here. I have at least one exam nearly every week until May. Maybe I'll find some time next week over break. If nothing else, I might put together an sfs file or two for you, if you let me know exactly what you need.
Good luck with the exams. That's gotta come first. Bug-squishing will always be with us.

If you do find time to work on a squash file or two, I need the following:

1. web_215.sfs - Firefox, Thunderbird, Java, Flash9, Bluefish, Nvu, etc.

2. mms_215.sfs - Realplayer, mplayer, VLC player, extra codecs, Audacity, gxine Fullscreen, wxMusik plus anything else multimedia-related

3. pgs_215.sfs - Xara, Povray, ArtofIllusion, Xnview, Irfanview, and maybe Qcad if size permits.

I'm pretty sure Nathan has the new Open Office sfs under control, but I'll be checking with him again this week sometime.

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#228 Post by Pizzasgood »

Thanks. I'll see what I can do. I'll probably take the web one. Has flash 9 been sorted out now? I saw a thread about changing some configuration stuff.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

richard.a

#229 Post by richard.a »

The ability to access another desktop from the beta works nicely, but wouldn't it make sense to add the complementary server to allow the machine running the beta to be accessed itself? I did get the TightVNC (?) server to work on an earlier version, but from memory I had to jump through hoops to do it.

I mention this because the other Linuxes I've used seem to provide this "working out of the box".

Richard.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

WhoDo

#230 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Thanks. I'll see what I can do. I'll probably take the web one. Has flash 9 been sorted out now? I saw a thread about changing some configuration stuff.
Yes, Flash9 has been sorted IF you apply the fix that EdfomHouston has posted in this thread. Anything you can do will be awesome, PG. Thanks.

WhoDo

#231 Post by WhoDo »

richard.a wrote:The ability to access another desktop from the beta works nicely, but wouldn't it make sense to add the complementary server to allow the machine running the beta to be accessed itself?
TightVNC server would be a candidate for the web_215.sfs file, so it could be added to future versions without being compiled with the Standard CE edition only.

Remote Desktop is another kettle of Lobster altogether. It will only access Windows 2003 Terminal Server.

If Pizzasgood has the time and energy, I'm sure he'll give TightVNC server consideration for the web package.

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#232 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sure, why not? I've been meaning to play with some remote desktop type stuff anyway.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

WhoDo

#233 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Sure, why not? I've been meaning to play with some remote desktop type stuff anyway.
I meant to add Azureus to that list too, PG. I've had a few requests for a downloader that was a tad easier to use and more familiar to refugees.

Cheers.

Pizzasgood

#234 Post by Pizzasgood »

Gotcha.

I've mentioned once or twice that I have a modified xwin script in Pizzapup that partially solves the bad-shutdown problem. Rather than spitting out to the commandline immediately, it pops up a dialog saying "X seems to have failed to start. You now have the option to try again or exit to the commandline." The user can then choose the default "try again" and hopefully get things fixed. If it's doing this because of an actual problem, the techie-types can choose "commanline" and then fix stuff.

This is a version I set up tonight based on the Puppy 2.14 script, so it should work in 2.15CE:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/so ... ncy.tar.gz

It goes in /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin.

WhoDo

#235 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:This is a version I set up tonight based on the Puppy 2.14 script, so it should work in 2.15CE:
http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/so ... ncy.tar.gz

It goes in /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin.
Thanks, mate. I'll give it a try this evening. I'm starting to get really excited about 2.15CE because of all the great work you guys are doing to solve these little niggles. I can handle complaints about inclusions or omissions, but my sense of order won't let me accept faults in the underlying systems.

Cheers

Pizzasgood

#236 Post by Pizzasgood »

Along that thread, you might want to see this:
http://www.puppyos.net/forum/azbb.php?1173888996

veronicathecow

#237 Post by veronicathecow »

I've used Tight VNC on Windows, very nice. Ditto for Azureus (But needs java I believe?

puppyfan12

#238 Post by puppyfan12 »

re the .sfs files...is there a limit to how many can be used at once?

I was thinking some of those apps (namely bluefish/nvu) belong in a webdev.sfs combined with xampp and possibly a free gui mysql db management alternative to navicat as opposed to including them in the internet.sfs/web.sfs or however it will be named. Maybe gaim & xchat should be combined with those as well? (the internet apps)

Azereus is an awesome internet app but it does require java to run. Does linux have any fully featured torrent alternatives to utorrent that don't rely on java? The one included with puppy looks okay for basic functionality but it lacks the advanced features of azereus and utorrent.

I'll gladly help package some when I figure out how.
Joe D.

Pizzasgood

#239 Post by Pizzasgood »

The limit is 5. Things in the web-addon can use Java, because the addon will also include java. I might consider xampp, depending on how big it is with the other stuff.

@WhoDo: what size range are you looking for with the sfs files? 40-80? 100-200?

thegoldenstrand

A few things I would like to see

#240 Post by thegoldenstrand »

A couple more drivers for Realtek, etc., added for network connections and internet.

Full support for 1080P for both nVidia and Ati graphics cards. So far I can get nVidia to work ok, but not Ati.

More compiling and.. maybe some of MU's graphics acceleration stuff

and..

for browsing.. anyway to by default not have all that junk that you are going to a site that is this or that.. no warnings by default or a simple way to turn em off.

Any CCCP like stuff that can be added, especially to view and listen to web content??

Looking forward to what is coming next.

Mike

WhoDo

#241 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:@WhoDo: what size range are you looking for with the sfs files? 40-80? 100-200?
Anything under 100Mb, so they take no longer to download than Puppy itself.

@puppyfan12:
The webdev.sfs idea was good but, with the limit of 5 files including pup_215.sfs and zdrv_215.sfs, capacity kinda lets us down at the moment. The way I see it is as follows:

Puppy 2.15CE Standard Edition + Open Office + Web = Office Edition

Puppy 2.15CE Standard Edition + Graphics + Web = Graphics Edition

Puppy 2.15CE Standard Edition + Multimedia + Web = Multimedia Edition

If we ever get past the 5 squash file limitation, say with aufs, then:

Puppy 2.15CE + all of the above = Puppy Mastiff Edition

Pizzasgood

#242 Post by Pizzasgood »

If it fits, I'll certainly add Xampp. I do a little php-programming now and then, and It's really nice to have your own local server for testing. But only if there's room in it. I haven't used half the apps that will be included, so I don't know how well they'll fit nor how much I can strip out.

First you scoop the icecream, then you add the sprinkles. And if you haven't already gone over your sugar limit, you can put a little caramel on top. So we'll see where we're at when I get the basic stuff done (browsers, editors, java, etc.)

If nothing else, I think there's already a Xampp sfs file for Puppy 1.x.x. It probably wouldn't take someone much work to port it to be 2.15 compatible. Not me though, I've got enough going on as it is. :)

raffy

Nathan

#243 Post by raffy »

Nathan is working on a LAMP add-on to Puppy 2. I hope he has kept the momentum even with the new kernel and aufs he started lately.

For Apache+PHP sfs, try this. It's only 2 MB, but is prepared for 2.02R, so one or two lib files will be redundant in 2.14. In console, command the usual "apachectl start". The conf are in /etc/apache. There are PHP scripts in /root/www/htdocs.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

drongo

#244 Post by drongo »

Any chance of a "network_stuff" sfs? Most of the live-CD toolkits I have seen are Knoppix based and I have computers that will boot Puppy no problem but won't work with Knoppix or it's derivatives. (That's right, Puppy is better than Knoppix! Sort of.)

Tools required would be Wireshark/Ethereal and Pentoo type stuff.

If not, is there an idiots' guide to making SFSs?

Thanks.

drongo

WhoDo

#245 Post by WhoDo »

drongo wrote:If not, is there an idiots' guide to making SFSs?
Dougal did a pretty fair explanation of the process in this thread, and I think Sunburnt or Pizzasgood has developed a GUI for actually creating them.