vmware HOW-TO install on Puppy 2

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Gekko

#16 Post by Gekko »

brady747 wrote:Any chance on a walk thru on how to install the kernel source for 2.14? I have tried searching for about 2 days. Part of the problem is the the Chinese Great Firewall seems to block about 90% of Puppy resources (thankfully not this forum) for whatever reason. As Im in Beijing, that puts a damper on my research capabilities (although I proxy as much as I can). Im trying to install VMware server on puppy live cd 2.14 but I don't have the include folder mentioned in the post directly above so i gather I need to do what the first post says and 'install the kernel source'. Unfortunately Im clueless on this although I can handle the rest I believe (install script, mkdir, installing pup-dev package, etc)

THANKS!!!

Stuck in Beijing, happily for the most part.

Brady
Download qemu instead, much easier to install and configure. http://bbqsrc.org/?q=node/20
And can you use TOR to get around the proxy in China?

jcoder24

#17 Post by jcoder24 »

Gekko wrote: Download qemu instead, much easier to install and configure. http://bbqsrc.org/?q=node/20
Maybe it's just my old AMD 650MHz w/ 384M RAM but I find qemu (even with the accelerator) to be very slow and resource intensive. A WinXP SP2 install in qemu took two hours before reaching 50% before I killed it. It may also be me with this experience so if anyone knows of a way to improve my it, I'm all ears.

Because of those issues I've alway resorted to VMware. I usually install vmplayer since workstation and server take up way too much space. Typically a vmplayer installation is under 50MB, the installation alone for the server and workstation are usu over 100MB. However, there are two issues with the player (and possibly workstation and server)

1) Creating a virtual machine is a manual process but this they are tools and hacks (tutorials) on how to get it done.

2) VMplayer v2 installs in fine in newer versions of puppy but blue screens booting windows os -this maybe a problem with my pc. Vmplayer v1 works fine but only on puppy2 version 2.11 and below (i belive this to be a gtk problem so far)

brady747

#18 Post by brady747 »

Thanks for Qemu trip. Ill try that eventually but Im actually asking about Vmware. Sorry for delay, I was in Shanghai without internet for a week. I can tor around firewall, but its often to slow here. Today China is no longer blocking this forum (it comes and goes, who knows?)...so Ill probably try to read more but the puppy-linux main site is still slow or blocked. Anyone else have tips on how to get past the need for the source listed on the first page of this topic? Maybe I need to post a new topic but it was relevant to the processes listed above so I thought someone could help here.

Thanks!!!!!!
Brady
Back in Beijing

Komodo

#19 Post by Komodo »

Brady,
The kernel source needed by vmware server is included in the Devx-214.sfs. Once that is installed the vmware install script should find the kernel source in /lib/modules/2.6.18.1/build/include

Komodo

brady747

#20 Post by brady747 »

Thanks a lot Komodo. Ill give that a shot then in the next few days.

BAD PENGUIN

#21 Post by BAD PENGUIN »

perhaps someone can help me here, i am trying to install VMWARE Workstation 5.5.2 build-29772 on puppy 2.15ce, full HD install, my compiler comes from the devx215.sfx file installed on my system with sfs installer.

i did everything that was recomended in this thread, and ran the vmware-install.pl script

and this is what happens when the script tries to compile vmware
Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.1/include]

****sorry, rxvt will only scroll up but so much so this is the last part****

function)
/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function `LinuxDriverError':
/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:2055: error: `current' undeclared (first use in this function)
/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: At top level:
include/linux/elf.h:364: warning: array '_DYNAMIC' assumed to have one element
include/linux/sched.h:314: error: storage size of `mmap_sem' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:360: error: storage size of `action' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:389: error: storage size of `shared_pending' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:409: error: storage size of `real_timer' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:453: error: storage size of `rlim' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:464: error: storage size of `pacct' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:848: error: storage size of `start_time' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:878: error: storage size of `thread' isn't known
include/linux/sched.h:891: error: storage size of `pending' isn't known
include/linux/stat.h:68: error: storage size of `atime' isn't known
include/linux/stat.h:69: error: storage size of `mtime' isn't known
include/linux/stat.h:70: error: storage size of `ctime' isn't known
include/linux/file.h:62: error: storage size of `fd_array' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:299: error: storage size of `ia_atime' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:300: error: storage size of `ia_mtime' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:301: error: storage size of `ia_ctime' isn't known
include/linux/quota.h:226: error: storage size of `dq_dqb' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:416: error: storage size of `bd_mutex' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:417: error: storage size of `bd_mount_mutex' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:510: error: storage size of `i_atime' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:511: error: storage size of `i_mtime' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:512: error: storage size of `i_ctime' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:519: error: storage size of `i_mutex' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:520: error: storage size of `i_alloc_sem' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:546: error: storage size of `inotify_mutex' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:687: error: storage size of `f_owner' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:875: error: storage size of `s_umount' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:876: error: storage size of `s_lock' isn't known
include/linux/fs.h:905: error: storage size of `s_vfs_rename_mutex' isn't known
/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:151: error: storage size of `vmuser_fops' isn't known
/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only/./include/compat_kernel.h:21: warning: '_syscall1' declared `static' but never defined
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:415: Error: symbol `seq' is already defined
{standard input}:463: Error: symbol `sem_nsems' is already defined
{standard input}:485: Error: symbol `lock' is already defined
{standard input}:616: Error: symbol `name' is already defined
{standard input}:687: Error: symbol `lock' is already defined
{standard input}:1466: Error: symbol `flags' is already defined
{standard input}:1573: Error: symbol `tasks' is already defined
{standard input}:1806: Error: symbol `files' is already defined
{standard input}:2140: Error: symbol `blocks' is already defined
{standard input}:2850: Error: symbol `d_flags' is already defined
{standard input}:3358: Error: symbol `inotify_watches' is already defined
{standard input}:3489: Error: symbol `owner' is already defined
{standard input}:3559: Error: symbol `s_type' is already defined
{standard input}:3775: Error: symbol `mmap' is already defined
{standard input}:3817: Error: symbol `lock' is already defined
{standard input}:3888: Error: symbol `data' is already defined
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.1'
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config6/vmmon-only'
Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/download/modules/modules.html" and
"http://www.vmware.com/support/reference ... linux.html".

Execution aborted.
I installed vmware without a glitch onto openSUSE 10.2, without using a pre-built rpm package since i could not download rpm package pre-built but instead used the same one you guys are using. I dont know much about compiling kernels and programs from source, i have only done it, with success a few times, so i would much appreciate if someone could give me a remote clue what is going on, sincerly, bad-penguin

John Doe

#22 Post by John Doe »

BAD PENGUIN wrote: What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
You need the kernel source also (not all apps require it and most will just need devx to compile.

http://www.puppyos.net/test/

2006-Nov-11
Linux kernel source, pre-patched, for Puppy 2.12:

is what you want, I'm pretty sure that is the same one in 2.15

There is also a squash file of it around.

Put it in /usr/src/ rename linux-2.6.18.1 to linux-2.6.18.1.old and untar the source there.

BAD PENGUIN

#23 Post by BAD PENGUIN »

John Doe wrote:
BAD PENGUIN wrote: What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
You need the kernel source also (not all apps require it and most will just need devx to compile.

http://www.puppyos.net/test/

2006-Nov-11
Linux kernel source, pre-patched, for Puppy 2.12:

is what you want, I'm pretty sure that is the same one in 2.15

There is also a squash file of it around.

Put it in /usr/src/ rename linux-2.6.18.1 to linux-2.6.18.1.old and untar the source there.

i thought devx215.sfx did contain the kernel source so this clears things up alot, i'll give it a go tomorrow
cheers and thanks for the help

Komodo

#24 Post by Komodo »

I have installed VMware server version 1.0.2 build 39867 with the virtual machines on a ext2 HD partition using puppy 2.14 and I did not have to install any kernel source other than what came with the Devx-214.sfs package. Apparently, either different versions of Puppy Devx packages have a different set of kernel source files or other versions of vmware require additional source files. Something sure seems to be different from my system and what others are using.

If you successfully install vmware server or player would you please make a post detailing what was required for your particular version of Puppy and vmware? For the sake of other puppians who wish to install vmware in the future.

Komodo

maddog

kernel src for v4.00?

#25 Post by maddog »

Trying to install VMware server v1.0.5 but I haven't a clue where Puppy's kernel src is located. I suspect it isn't included on the CD. If so, where can I download it?

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

--Ray.

maddog

#26 Post by maddog »

I have learned elsewhere that I needed the devx sfs for my kernel but I suspect that I have the wrong one for puppy v4.00. I downloaded +devx-k2.6.25_400.sfs and 'cat /etc/issue' claims I am running, "Puppy Linux Linux 2.6.25 [i686 arch]" and 'uname -a' agrees. Do I have the correct src? Where is it in the sfs? When I gave the vmware installer the two most likely places it replied with .....

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /mnt/+devx-k2.6.25_400.sfs/usr/include

The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match your running kernel (version 2.6.25). Even if the module were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /mnt/+devx-k2.6.25_400.sfs/usr/dietlibc/include

The path "/mnt/+devx-k2.6.25_400.sfs/usr/dietlibc/include" is a kernel header file directory, but it does not contain the file "linux/version.h" as expected. This can happen if the kernel has never been built, or if you have invoked the "make mrproper" command in your kernel directory. In any case, you may want to rebuild your kernel.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

Anyone have any ideas?
--Ray.

maddog

#27 Post by maddog »

Downloaded the other v400 sfs (devx_400.sfs) and had the same results. It doesn't look like this is possible with Puppy Linux. :(

--Ray.