Ice-cc configuration tools for icewm

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Nathan F

Ice-cc configuration tools for icewm

#1 Post by Nathan F »

Here's a handy set of tools that I will make into a dotpup if klrevolutionist or someone else gets Python packaged up. It's called Icecc and is a set of tools to set options for icewm. You can use it to change or add menu entries, set the background wallpaper, set launchers and menus into the toolbar, set keyboard shortcuts, system sounds, and most other options for icewm. I used it successfully a while back when I had python installed, so I know it will work in Puppy. Here's a screenshot of it running in FC4, with the main window, the menu editor, and background setter open.

The menu and toolbar editors are very simple to use. You just click on add for a new entry, enter a name, icon, and command to use to open the program into the fields and then click set and save. You can also cut and paste. This makes icewm almost as easy to customize as KDE but still way lighter.

My python installation, for those who might be interested, was on a seperate partition using a technique I learned from Bruce B. Basically, the whole thing was in /mnt/data/Share and I put symlinks in /usr and /etc pointing to it. Everything worked just like it was inside the pup001 file, albeit a little slower. I can't remember exactly where I found the binary that I used or I'd post more detailed instructions.

klhrevolutionist

Here you go

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

You do not need python for this one
This is the icewm control panel a Graphical frontend to configuring certain
components of icewm, some applets need to be configured as most components are already configured, however we all don't have the same hardware now do we??? simply drag 'n' drop the executable named icewmcp to the desktop if you like!!! to uninstall, delete icewmcp folder and ./icemcp folder have fun!!!
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Thu 01 Dec 2005, 22:38, edited 3 times in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Kal

#3 Post by Kal »

Give icewmcp.pup a try, its fun, but went back to normal, if it were more tailored to Puppy it would be all right. Lost my quick launch on the taskbar, make sure you have backups to the main control texts first before trying, I did.
Good Luck, Kal

#4 Post by Guest »

Looks good, and no Python required. Glad someone else was thinking of this.

thoughtjourney

#5 Post by thoughtjourney »

I'm making a similar (well, in concept at least ;) ) tool for JWM. So far, it includes a theme switcher, tray autohide options, window move and resize options, keyboard shortcut configuration and focus model configuration (ie sloppy or click). I'm looking to incorporate menu configuration soon.

The tool will utilise an include directive in the jwm config file (/root/.jwmrc) so that your personal config will be available after you upgrade Puppy to a new version.

Be watching our for it... JWM is great once you get to know it :)
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

klhrevolutionist

give credit

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I see you are amazed at jwm, I checked out your stuff it works fine if anybody has ever told you!!! You are dedicated, I can say that, keep up the good work!!!

#7 Post by Guest »

I think it installed, no Readme or anything poped up though....

How do I run this thing?

klhrevolutionist

here

#8 Post by klhrevolutionist »

go into /root/my-applications/icewmcp/
and if you scroll down you will see a read me file enjoy!!!

paullecorde

#9 Post by paullecorde »

I know I read the answer to this question in the forum somewhere but I can't find it by searching... I am using iceWM and have set the wallpaper to a pic. Each time I reboot iceWM replaces my wallpaper with whatever is in the "theme". How can I keep my wallpaper on reboot with iceWM? Is there a gui for setting this or do I need make a change to a script somewhere? Thanks for your help!!

puppian_guest

#10 Post by puppian_guest »

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

you can prevent Icewm from changing the background by killing X (start, logout) and typing startx icewm ... to re-enable Icewm backgrounds, kill X and type startx icewm-session2