Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pizzasgood

#91 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's odd. As far as I can see, what you have is correct. Are you sure there are no files on other partitions that might be confusing it? Like backup pza_save files, or other pza_300.sfs files? Maybe the zdrv_300.sfs file from Puppy 3.00 is detracting it. Try putting it in a directory somewhere temporarily to see if it makes a difference.

Is Grub installed on /dev/hda2? If so, you could try dropping the (hd0,1) from the kernel and initrd lines (keep it on the rootnoverify line). Then it would more or less match my grub entry:

Code: Select all

title PizzaPup 3.1
  rootnoverify (hd0,4)
  kernel /boot/pza-301/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 loglevel=3
  initrd /boot/pza-301/initrd.gz
EDIT: Maybe Puppy 2.12 didn't like booting from ReiserFS? I know it could mount and use it, and what you've said proves that it will load a save-file that's on a reiser partition. But maybe it won't search for a pup_xxx.sfs (or pza_xxx.sfs) file on one? I never tried that. I'd go test it, but it's 1:44 and I should probably have been asleep a while ago. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow before I catch my plane. Otherwise it would have to wait until Sunday.

As for why the CD works, that's because LiveCD is designed to save to the save-file on the harddrive, then load it on the next boot. The "Frugal HD Install" was just a modification of that, using Grub to boot from the harddrive itself rather than a CD. After it's booted, it behaves exactly the same as if it had been booted from a CD.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Whitesnow

Pizzapup 3.01 vs. 3.00

#92 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi Pizzasgood :-), and thank you for your reply and your great job on pza_distros (excellent also as frugal on my old notebook: 64 MB ram with 172,57 swap, Coppermine processor, 4,66 GB HD). :-)

Pizzapup 3.00 doesn't boot on an empty etx2, too (same error as old one) and without files from official 3.00 on / in an other partition either (files moved to /hda1/root/my-documents - hda1 is my only full HD install with 2.17 and Grub files on it, other partitions are for frugal experimental or guest use).
If you try to boot without pza_save file in hda2, hda1 is mounted as "pup_new" "become /". See the picture (sorry, bad quality shot, tried to make it readable).

I've downloaded Pizzapup 3.01 yesterday and no problem (kept ext2 as filesystem), all works fine with frugal boot, but something to tell you about the system and/or software behavior:

1. when X starts, "Bloc Num" function is active on my notebook keyboard (it doesn't happen with pza_3.00).

2. "Choose locale country localization" doesn't fetch on-line files for my country, I tried all (Italy)_it choices (which one to choose? What are the differences?).

3. "Wizard Wizard" and the his copy "Defaults-Wizard" failed to change and don't start anymore after the first use (you need to set up changes in /usr/bin/default* by hand)

4. "Puppy-Software-Installer" doesn't work (empty program window at the end) and when it's looking for server files, it runs on a yellow board with white color fonts, not readable).

5. *.sfs files don't mount/unmount on click and the correct application type is ignored by Rox.
I've copy "filemnt" in /usr/sbin from my 2.17 and set the command: 'filemnt "$1"' in "Properties". Now at least mount/unmount function works. :-)
One question: is there a numer limit to sfs loading from /mnt/home at system boot?

6. [For pza_3.00 only] I downloaded Wine 0.9.28 without OpenGL (for official 2.12) and when I run a setup.exe, it crashes. One can upgrade glibc or it is dangerous? This is the console output of wine command:

sh-3.00# wine
wine: glibc >= 2.3 without NPTL or TLS is not a supported combination.
It will most likely crash. Please upgrade to a glibc with NPTL support.
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit

7. Partview doesn't work. Could you provide an indicator like that blue one that comes in official later versions to view how much space on personal sfs file one has?

Thank you very much again for your kindness and very useful work on Pizzapup. :-)
Attachments
pza_mountig_error.jpg
(82.9 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

mrbulldog

ftp://puppy:linux@ftp.servage.net/Pizzapup/pizzapup-3.0.iso

#93 Post by mrbulldog »

link does not work
login incorrect error

Pizzasgood

#94 Post by Pizzasgood »

:!: I'm sorry Whitesnow, I never even say that last post. I'm about three quarters of a year late, but here goes:
1. Pizzapup 3.0.1 runs a program from /root/.xinitrc near the top to enable the num-lock. I don't remember the name but it's something like "numlock_x" or "xset_numlock".

2. I have no idea. I've never used localization before. I should probably figure out how it works for the next Pizzapup so I can make sure it doesn't have any funny bugs.

3. Don't know what might be wrong with Wizard Wizard. The Defaults wizard is probably having problems with one of the already set defaults. It's not a very sturdy program. It requires a very basic formatting of the default files. Also, I don't remember if I upgraded it at all since 3.00. That was a year and a half ago.

4. The version of the software installer is outdated. I don't remember exactly what's been changed. Probably the servers, but maybe the methods of getting the lists. I know one version parsed the wiki, and I think modern versions don't do that anymore.

5. This predates mounting sfs files via click by six months or so. I'm nearly sure there is a limit, but I don't remember (probably 3 to 5).

6. glibc can be upgraded, but if I remember right it will result in a bunch of annoying but generally harmless error messages. It is best to do it by rebooting in pfix=ram, mounting the pza_save.2fs file, and manually installing glibc into the file. Otherwise you can lock up the system.

Puppy can save directly to a partition rather than into a save file and still run frugally or from CD, if the partition is a linux partition. Puppy must be seeing your full install and thinking that it is one of these save-to-partition setups.

@mrbulldog: My links are probably broken by now, but I'm pretty sure Caneri is still hosting this. Tomorrow I'll poke around and see if I can dig up a good link for you. I'm out of state for the summer, so if I can't find one you'll have to wait until I go back in mid August. I'm pretty sure I'll find one though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Pizzasgood

#95 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry, but it turns out Caneri doesn't have a copy of 3.0 on his server. He does have 3.0.1 though.
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/pizzasgood/

nooby

#96 Post by nooby »

May I ask.
Uses pza_300.sfs and pza_save.3fs

puppy2.1x seems to not be easily combined with
puppy400 in frugal mode on same partition in ntfs
when one use subdirectories.

If this pizzapup is based on puppy300 does that
mean it fail to co-exist too?

nooby

#97 Post by nooby »

http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/pu ... 0-info.php

The ftp fail if one click on it. Login incorrect. Should one use an ftp prog in puppy400?

Ah you gave a better link here above but it would help if you edited your
first post to link to that page. :)

vg1

#98 Post by vg1 »

Nooby -
as said somewhere in this post and others, pizzapup301 is based on puppy214, not puppy 301. The name meant the third pizzapup in a series, I think. That was when puppy3 did not exist.

It will coexist on the same partition with puppy4 in general, [not sure about ntfs]. It should also coexist with the 2 & 3 series. If there is a conflict with p3 or p4 picking up the save file then you can have it two levels deep [in a subdir]. The 'psubdir' parameter only looks one level deep and will not find it.

vg

nooby

#99 Post by nooby »

From here I am dowloading the iso I think will do? But I am too
new to get what the rc means.

http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/pizzasgood ... -3.0.1.iso

that one are 90meg and that is what pizzagood seems to refer to the
other was smaller. 52 minutes reamining for the dowload.

Is that the one I shall burn.

I tried to make blank the dvd+rw but it seems difficult.
Pburn not sure if it worked now I am in windows and have
used Nero two times to make it blank but it says it should
do it in 1.47 but stop at 25 seconds without reporting neither
success nor failure so not sure if it did anything with it.

Should I use burncdcc or pburn or nero then to do the iso
to be best compatible with my NEC dvd burner?

BurnCDcc worked very well for me in windows.
Last edited by nooby on Wed 09 Jul 2008, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

markofkane

#100 Post by markofkane »

That looks nice!! (I love Pizza, it's my favorite food)

I cannot decide if I want to leave Puppy Linux4 or not.

nooby

#101 Post by nooby »

I'm in or on or at ? pizzapup linux now. The old link failed.
Discontinued puppy site.
Well what to say about pizzapup. I have to test things first. :)
thanks to pizzagood for providing it.

mplayer fails and it tells me to do things way above my experience.
but I try it eventually someday. How do I test sound without
having mplayer are there other ways to test sound?

Pizzasgood

#102 Post by Pizzasgood »

I just edited the first post in this thread with a note that the links are broken, then added a link to the Pizzapup 3.0.1 thread (which I also edited to correct the link).

Yes, Pizzapup 3.0.1 is based on Puppy 2.14. I had no idea that Puppy 3 would come out so soon (or people would still be looking at Pizzapup 3.x after so much time) or I'd have used a different name to avoid confusion.

Pizzapup comes with XMMS for audio playback. Mplayer is only needed for video.