Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cb88

#76 Post by cb88 »

i haven't noticed bubbles not working maybe you got a bad download did you check the md5? i never do but it couldn't hurt

cb88

puppyjim

#77 Post by puppyjim »

Thanks for your reply pizzapup - I'll check my copy of 2.14 (I never thought of that - I must be getting senile) :roll:

puppyjim

#78 Post by puppyjim »

cb88 wrote:i haven't noticed bubbles not working maybe you got a bad download did you check the md5? i never do but it couldn't hurt

cb88
I've checked my copy of 2.14 (bought cd - not download) and it crashes as well. Therefore either I have a screwed-up computer OR something is different with pizzaPup!

The bubbles_game only goes wrong after the "Hall-of-fame" window appears - except of course pizzaPup. 8)

Pizzasgood

#79 Post by Pizzasgood »

The only things in Pizzapup I can think of that would possibly do anything would be adding some SDL packages and changing the GTK themes/engines.

The SDL stuff is this:
libsdl-1.2.9
libsdl_gfx-2.0.13
libsdl_image-1.2.4

I don't remember which ones are in PETget and which ones I added myself though. I think just libsdl_image. That one is just two files (really one file and a symlink).
/usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0
/usr/lib/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0.1.3

I don't think that's the problem though. GTK seems more likely to affect it. Try changing the theme in Pizzapup (start -> Desktop -> GTK theme) to the one in standard Puppy (not sure off the top of my head which that is, but one of the more boring ones). If Bubbles crashes then, we'll know where the problem is (sorta). I could upload a PETget of the themes package I used if that's the case.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

puppyjim

#80 Post by puppyjim »

I tried the change in desktop image (lion sketch - that was the most Boring available) and it did cause odd problems.
So changed back to the default and all seemed okay for a bit and then problems. So I re-booted but still had funnies occuring.

There is obviously a connection - it needs a GURU to sort it. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'm a MINUS something - well we've all got to start somewhere - bottom of the heap sounds good :roll:

moncha

#81 Post by moncha »

I love pizza pup. Thanks!

The only problem I'm having is playing certain DVDs where I need the menu to play the movie. For example the movie I just tried started with the director's comments. Is there a way to use mplayer with a DVD when this happens?

I tried VLC but it wouldn't play a DVD. Gxine wouldn't start.

Pizzasgood

#82 Post by Pizzasgood »

I didn't include Gxine, so you'd have to install it and the xine-libs package, then maybe it would work if I didn't break anything...

I know (vaguely) what you mean though. I only had one DVD thing at the time (as in multiple DVD's, but they're a group for a lecture thing). I had to fight a bunch to get different parts of the thing to play.

I haven't messed with a DVD since then, but now I have a drawer full of them that my mom gave me, so I'll be able to do some heavy duty "testing" before the next Pizzapup.

In the mean time, I think there might have been a version of Mplayer uploaded on the forum somewhere that includes menu support. Otherwise I don't really know. Like I said, I don't have any experience using DVD's on a computer, and very little experience using them on an actual DVD player hooked up to a tv.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

arraen

#83 Post by arraen »

Realy wonderfull Pup! :)
Work fine on Compaq Armada 1750, 196 RAM, and broken IDE controller, from 128Mb flash drive (GN-WLBZ201)

But I'm have one terrible trouble - don't working Wi-Fi from GN-WLBZ201 (based on zd1201), on original 2.17 work fine :(
Module load without any problems, but still "Puppy does not see any active ethernet interfaces" :(((

Please, please, please help! :)

Pizzasgood

#84 Post by Pizzasgood »

2.17 is five versions newer than Pizzapup 3.0, and has a newer kernel. That might be the reason it works better.

Or, maybe it's just the network script that's having a problem, in which case we can configure it by hand. Try running these commands from a terminal and then post the output here:

Code: Select all

modprobe zd1201
iwconfig

arraen

#85 Post by arraen »

Or, maybe it's just the network script that's having a problem, in which case we can configure it by hand. Try running these commands from a terminal and then post the output here:

modprobe zd1201
iwconfig
sh-3.00# iwconfig
lo no wireless extentisions.

Pizzasgood

#86 Post by Pizzasgood »

:( Then fixing that is a little out of my league. You'd be better off searching the forum in general to see if anyone got that chip working on Puppy version 2.12 (that's what Pizzapup 3.0 is based on).

On the other hand, do you have the windows driver for that card? Then you could try using ndiswrapper to load it.

Otherwise, you could just use 2.17 and add the parts of Pizzapup you like best (wouldn't be hard, especially since I can easily make and upload packages of most of the things I added).

BlackAdder

#87 Post by BlackAdder »

The problem might be lack of the firmware. See an earlier post here.

Pizzasgood

#88 Post by Pizzasgood »

Probably. Playing with find shows that 2.17.1 has the driver and firmware, but Pizzapup 3.0 just has the driver.

You could probably just copy them over, but I made a quick PETget of the latest version anyways.

Thanks for the tip :)
Attachments
zd1201-0.14-fw.pet
firmware for zd1201
(84.11 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

klu9

#89 Post by klu9 »

Whitesnow

Problem booting

#90 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi, :-)

Pizzapup 3.00 frugal install doesn't boot on both my linux and fat/ntfs partitions (for fat/ntfs tests: with WakePup floppy with both empty fat and ntfs partition, with only frugal files in them).
No problem to load other Puppy (now I have 2.17 and 3.00 as frugal, too).
Picture shows what happens on boot now, tryng loading Pizzapup.
I just have all Pizzapup files in reiserfs partition hda2 (initrd.gz, vmlinuz, pza_300.sfs, zdrv_300.sfs, pza_save.3fs) and if I want to load Pizzapup like a frugal, I have to insert my cd at startup, like a live-cd use, but with the result of a hda2 mounting instead, like Grub would do! How can this happen an how can I load my frugal hda2 without cd-rom use?

This is in my Grub entry menu for loading:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Pizzapup (2.14-based frugal puplet on /dev/hda2)
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=idehd
initrd (hd0,1)/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends

Thanks in advance for your help. :-)
Attachments
pizzapup_boot_error.jpg
(82.33 KiB) Downloaded 728 times

Pizzasgood

#91 Post by Pizzasgood »

That's odd. As far as I can see, what you have is correct. Are you sure there are no files on other partitions that might be confusing it? Like backup pza_save files, or other pza_300.sfs files? Maybe the zdrv_300.sfs file from Puppy 3.00 is detracting it. Try putting it in a directory somewhere temporarily to see if it makes a difference.

Is Grub installed on /dev/hda2? If so, you could try dropping the (hd0,1) from the kernel and initrd lines (keep it on the rootnoverify line). Then it would more or less match my grub entry:

title PizzaPup 3.1
  rootnoverify (hd0,4)
  kernel /boot/pza-301/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 loglevel=3
  initrd /boot/pza-301/initrd.gz
EDIT: Maybe Puppy 2.12 didn't like booting from ReiserFS? I know it could mount and use it, and what you've said proves that it will load a save-file that's on a reiser partition. But maybe it won't search for a pup_xxx.sfs (or pza_xxx.sfs) file on one? I never tried that. I'd go test it, but it's 1:44 and I should probably have been asleep a while ago. Maybe I'll have time tomorrow before I catch my plane. Otherwise it would have to wait until Sunday.

As for why the CD works, that's because LiveCD is designed to save to the save-file on the harddrive, then load it on the next boot. The "Frugal HD Install" was just a modification of that, using Grub to boot from the harddrive itself rather than a CD. After it's booted, it behaves exactly the same as if it had been booted from a CD.

Whitesnow

Pizzapup 3.01 vs. 3.00

#92 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi Pizzasgood :-), and thank you for your reply and your great job on pza_distros (excellent also as frugal on my old notebook: 64 MB ram with 172,57 swap, Coppermine processor, 4,66 GB HD). :-)

Pizzapup 3.00 doesn't boot on an empty etx2, too (same error as old one) and without files from official 3.00 on / in an other partition either (files moved to /hda1/root/my-documents - hda1 is my only full HD install with 2.17 and Grub files on it, other partitions are for frugal experimental or guest use).
If you try to boot without pza_save file in hda2, hda1 is mounted as "pup_new" "become /". See the picture (sorry, bad quality shot, tried to make it readable).

I've downloaded Pizzapup 3.01 yesterday and no problem (kept ext2 as filesystem), all works fine with frugal boot, but something to tell you about the system and/or software behavior:

1. when X starts, "Bloc Num" function is active on my notebook keyboard (it doesn't happen with pza_3.00).

2. "Choose locale country localization" doesn't fetch on-line files for my country, I tried all (Italy)_it choices (which one to choose? What are the differences?).

3. "Wizard Wizard" and the his copy "Defaults-Wizard" failed to change and don't start anymore after the first use (you need to set up changes in /usr/bin/default* by hand)

4. "Puppy-Software-Installer" doesn't work (empty program window at the end) and when it's looking for server files, it runs on a yellow board with white color fonts, not readable).

5. *.sfs files don't mount/unmount on click and the correct application type is ignored by Rox.
I've copy "filemnt" in /usr/sbin from my 2.17 and set the command: 'filemnt "$1"' in "Properties". Now at least mount/unmount function works. :-)
One question: is there a numer limit to sfs loading from /mnt/home at system boot?

6. [For pza_3.00 only] I downloaded Wine 0.9.28 without OpenGL (for official 2.12) and when I run a setup.exe, it crashes. One can upgrade glibc or it is dangerous? This is the console output of wine command:

sh-3.00# wine
wine: glibc >= 2.3 without NPTL or TLS is not a supported combination.
It will most likely crash. Please upgrade to a glibc with NPTL support.
Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
wine --help Display this help and exit
wine --version Output version information and exit

7. Partview doesn't work. Could you provide an indicator like that blue one that comes in official later versions to view how much space on personal sfs file one has?

Thank you very much again for your kindness and very useful work on Pizzapup. :-)
Attachments
pza_mountig_error.jpg
(82.9 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

mrbulldog

ftp://puppy:linux@ftp.servage.net/Pizzapup/pizzapup-3.0.iso

#93 Post by mrbulldog »

link does not work
login incorrect error

Pizzasgood

#94 Post by Pizzasgood »

:!: I'm sorry Whitesnow, I never even say that last post. I'm about three quarters of a year late, but here goes:
1. Pizzapup 3.0.1 runs a program from /root/.xinitrc near the top to enable the num-lock. I don't remember the name but it's something like "numlock_x" or "xset_numlock".

2. I have no idea. I've never used localization before. I should probably figure out how it works for the next Pizzapup so I can make sure it doesn't have any funny bugs.

3. Don't know what might be wrong with Wizard Wizard. The Defaults wizard is probably having problems with one of the already set defaults. It's not a very sturdy program. It requires a very basic formatting of the default files. Also, I don't remember if I upgraded it at all since 3.00. That was a year and a half ago.

4. The version of the software installer is outdated. I don't remember exactly what's been changed. Probably the servers, but maybe the methods of getting the lists. I know one version parsed the wiki, and I think modern versions don't do that anymore.

5. This predates mounting sfs files via click by six months or so. I'm nearly sure there is a limit, but I don't remember (probably 3 to 5).

6. glibc can be upgraded, but if I remember right it will result in a bunch of annoying but generally harmless error messages. It is best to do it by rebooting in pfix=ram, mounting the pza_save.2fs file, and manually installing glibc into the file. Otherwise you can lock up the system.

Puppy can save directly to a partition rather than into a save file and still run frugally or from CD, if the partition is a linux partition. Puppy must be seeing your full install and thinking that it is one of these save-to-partition setups.

@mrbulldog: My links are probably broken by now, but I'm pretty sure Caneri is still hosting this. Tomorrow I'll poke around and see if I can dig up a good link for you. I'm out of state for the summer, so if I can't find one you'll have to wait until I go back in mid August. I'm pretty sure I'll find one though.

Pizzasgood

#95 Post by Pizzasgood »

Sorry, but it turns out Caneri doesn't have a copy of 3.0 on his server. He does have 3.0.1 though.
http://www.puppylinux.ca/tpp/pizzasgood/