Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

Calendar icon:
/usr/share/midi-icons/date48.png

Bctangokde doesn't have an Opera icon, just the globe icon it uses for Firefox. Opera should come with it's own icon, probably in /usr/local/opera/ or somewhere. Otherwise there are plenty of Opera icons on the web.

EDIT: Didn't see the request for a sylpheed icon:
This one isn't bctangokde, but it is included by default:
/usr/share/midi-icons/email48.png

I'm attaching a bctagokde icon too
Attachments
internet-mail.png
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 1336 times
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

xandas

Opera icon

#32 Post by xandas »

Attached is a Opera icon.
Enjoy it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ch&id=3319
Attachments
opera48.png
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 1445 times

HdE

#33 Post by HdE »

TonshA wrote:The multimedia support really blew me away. The best I've ever seen for a Puppy release (That I can recall anyway)...

..Clicking on an excel file didn't open the file in Gnumeric. Didn't do anything actually. Easily fixed by setting the run action in Rox. No problem. It's a spit'n'polish thing...
I've just booted off the Live-CD a few times, but this looks like one of the best Puppies yet! Good Job!!

xandas

Alsa, Skype. Old computers.

#34 Post by xandas »

Pizzasgood, your pizzapup is very well done. It runs incredibly fast with a beatuful screen definition. I think that it will be a "landmark" as Grafpup, 2.02Opera by John Murga, Muppy 007 and 2.10CE editions.
The only thing that don't works is the alsa detection of old cards.
I found that copying the folder /lib/modules from Puppy 2.02 opera, by john Murga and replacing the "modules" folder in /lib/ resolves the problem. (also present in 2.13 and 2.14 Puppies).
But I dont may to put in work Skype. (in Murga202 distro works OK).
¿Some guy may help me?.
Xan

Scoticus

Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

#35 Post by Scoticus »

Sorry to say I am totally unable to load your pup. On booting up the display gave the various keyboard options but totally froze at that point.

Trust this may be of assistance

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

sml

#36 Post by sml »

I doubt it would be any help at all. Maybe you can provide more info. Hardware, messages, does puppy work, which version, etc etc.

Scoticus

Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

#37 Post by Scoticus »

Sml

If you were addressing my post all I can say is that I have fully described what happened. The boot sequence took me from starting the system up till the PizzaPup displayed the keyboard choices. No error messages were displayed and the system froze. Had to power off and start over with Barry's 2.14 version.

Strangely enough something similar happens with Muppy 007.

Sorry I can not give any clear hint on this.

Perhaps you can assist me. I liked the Opera icon provided by xandas and ask how do I substitute this for that currently being used for the browser identification.

I am very new to this and have been seeking out the various options open to me and this is how I am in this section of the forum rather that for the beginners.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Ian

MorganP

#38 Post by MorganP »

I have now been a Pizzapup user now for 4 days and love it! (1st time for any Linux). My kids love the dog on the wallpaper.

I have run into a problem with TightVNC Server. When I connect ot it I get a screen that shows the desktop wallpaper and icons, but I do not get the bar at the bottom, and if I start a program from one of the icons I get a window without any border. So if I bring up for example, the file manager, there is no way to move it or close it.

I have tried it on two different PCs with the same result. I do also have an installation of eboxpup on a box and the VNC server works as I expect on there.

Pizzasgood

#39 Post by Pizzasgood »

@xandas: Thanks, I'll look into that. My own audio has felt shaky for a couple versions now too.

@Scoticus: What about the standard Puppy 2.12?

@MorganP: I have very little knowledge of TightVNC and anything related. That's a type of remote desktop setup, right? Are you saying the other computer doesn't get the taskbar from the Pizzapup box, or that the taskbar dies when you connect to another machine? The taskbar and window borders are part of the windowmanager, IceWM. Is there some setting in TightVNC regarding windowmanagers?

What windowmanager does the eboxpup use? JWM, IceWM, XFCE, Enlightenment? Check /etc/windowmanager if unsure.

When the windowmanager is dead, you could try opening rxvt and running the command icewm & to restart it, but I don't know if that even works. It can't break anything though. :wink:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Scoticus

Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

#40 Post by Scoticus »

Pizzasgood

I have just started with Puppy. Went straight in at 2.13 and as part of finding out what was going on downloaded Muppy 007 and your Pizzapup. In both instances I could not correctly boot up.

If 2.12 is available I will download this and report back.

Ian

steings

PZZAPUP

#41 Post by steings »

I don't know who to address this to but I love this Distro. Great job.

Steings

Pizzasgood

#42 Post by Pizzasgood »

@Scoticus: http://puptrix.org/isos/Puppylinux-official/2.12/
Thanks. Knowing whether a bug is something I induced or if it was already there helps determine what might cause it.

@steings: That would be me, thanks. :) Couldn't have done it without everyone else though. Thus my feeble attempt at a "credits" section in my first post.

Scoticus

Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

#43 Post by Scoticus »

Pizzasgood

Used your link and downloaded 2.12 and like your 3.0 final once again only got as far as the keyboard choices only to replicate the problem.

I totally gave up on Muppy 007 so I do not have it to go back on but the problem there was nearly identical. I was presented with a Yes / No question and it was there that it froze.

Are you and Mark working of the same basics ? Barry's 2.13 and 2.14 will load right through and I can choose keyboards, screen sizes etc and other than my mouse not totally performing like it usually did on windows it worked ok.

I suspect that the problem you both have is related to my Logitech keyboard and mouse. I quite a while ago totally gave up on Puppy because I could not load it just like I have detailed.

Barry seems to have mastered what ever locked me out before. The question seems to be what is Barry doing that you and Mark are not ?

Sorry to put you to more work but with all the praise being heaped upon you for the Pup I would love to see what it is all about.

Hope this gives you something to work with

Ian
[b]Puppy 4.0[/b]; AMD Athlon X2 4400 Processor; 2048MB DDR2 Memory; 320GB HD; nVidia 6100 Graphics; 16x Dual Layer DVD burner; Philips 190X5 monitor,Epson Stylus Photo R265 printer. Logitech LX 710 cordless keyb & mouse

Pizzasgood

#44 Post by Pizzasgood »

It may be a driver issue. Try using the zdrv_xxx.sfs from 2.13 or 2.14. Renaming it to zdrv_300.sfs will let it work with Pizzapup, renaming it to zdrv_212.sfs will let it work with 2.12.

Maybe you can just put the renamed zdrv_xxx.sfs file on the harddrive, but you might need to put it in the iso itself. If so, use isomaster. If it isn't in the start menu, just open a terminal window and run it. Use it to open the Pizzapup iso and remove zdrv_300.sfs. Then use it to add the "new" zdrv_300.sfs file. Hit "save-as" to generate a new iso file. Burn that and see if it boots.

Otherwise I'll have to compare the startup scripts from 2.12 and 2.13 to see if there's some bug. But it sounds more like a driver problem to me.

Scoticus

Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

#45 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks Pizzasgood

Now you have set that cat among the pigeons.

I have managed to reach the exalted height of being able to change clock settings by using the consol when provided with an idiots guide. If you can similarly guide me I will advise the outcome.

Thinking about what works and what does not WhoDo's 2.15 CE again will let me in so I wonder if it is a driver problem. As I posted earlier on another post Logitech do not support Linux but somehow or other the community have managed to work with their equipment..

If you want me to follow your request I will be more than happy to work with you on this but please be assured that as I am totally new to this I will have to be led by the hand.

I will leave this totally up to you and ask that whether you want to direct me how to make the changes or just to ignore things that you please state your preferred option

Trust this clarifies matters

Ian

Pizzasgood

#46 Post by Pizzasgood »

I did a little research and confirmed that 2.13 added better support for USB keyboard detection (and more keyboard stuff in general). I think it might be more than a simple driver change.

This made me more anxious to get started on the next version, so last night I started prepping to convert Pizzapup to the 2.14 base. I was originally just going to replace the packages Barry changed, but he did so much when doing XDG and PETget that it will be simpler to apply Pizzapup to a new base instead. So-far I have a standard 2.14 that thinks it's Pizzapup 3.0 (that means I've changed the version number and implemented the pza_ prefix, and this time I used a variable so I could change the prefix if I felt like it).

My next goal is to add all the stuff from Pizzapup 3.0 into it. From there I can start doing new things.

However, I might upload an "alpha" when I get the main stuff added, before I make changes. In essence, it would just be Pizzapup 3.0 with the guts from Puppy 2.14 (PETget, official XDG implementation, and better startup scripts). So actually, it would be like Pizzapup 3.0.1 (and that's what the guts will see the version number as).

This would let people make sure I didn't break something, along with providing a solution to keyboard problems and access to PETget. Otherwise it would be at least several weeks before I uploaded a "real" alpha of 3.1, with changes and stuff.

So how's that sound? I should have it done by St. Patrick's day at the latest.

It will also include any small tweaks I've made since releasing 3.0. Not many though.

Scoticus

Pizzapup 3.0 FINAL

#47 Post by Scoticus »

I hope that this is not all down to me all the extra work you are doing.

If I can assist by checking how the changes respond to the changes just PM me and I will get on the job..

Hope everything works to plan and it is not too much work.

Ian

Pizzasgood

#48 Post by Pizzasgood »

If I said I'd have 3.1 done by St. Patrick's day, that would be too much. Just getting 3.0 upgraded to the 2.14 base isn't too bad. The only reason it might take even that long is that I have two exams between now and then (not bad considering I had two just last night).

I'm also making allowances for some other smaller things I'm working on in the mean time.

And it isn't extra work, because I was going to do it anyway. The only thing I wasn't planning to do before was upload a 3.0.1 version. But actually making one is a required step toward 3.1.

iscraigh

#49 Post by iscraigh »

Tried it out, that's what I have been looking for, firefox-gaim that works with msn, and mplayer. All under 100 mb. Can't believe I haven't tried previous versions. Does it contain the lates remaster script that supports ntfs? If not it would be a good addition.

great work.

Craig

Pizzasgood

#50 Post by Pizzasgood »

If it was in 2.12, yes. Otherwise, is it in 2.14? If not I'll add it to Pizzapup 3.0.1.

I can't guarantee it works with Pizzapup though, as I changed the pup_xxx.sfs file to pza_xxx.sfs. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll fix it.

Thanks. :)