incorporating updates for Puppy....

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
basslord1124

incorporating updates for Puppy....

#1 Post by basslord1124 »

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I think incorporating the idea of regular online updates would be pretty cool. That way one could update their system to the latest version without having to download a new ISO. Of course I suppose I am a little bias here just b/c I do hard drive installs but I still think it'd be a cool feature to have.

rarsa

Re: incorporating updates for Puppy....

#2 Post by rarsa »

Disclaimer: These are my opinions. The fact that I lurk around the forum frequently does not make my thoughts more qualified than any other persons's.
basslord1124 wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up before but I think incorporating the idea of regular online updates would be pretty cool.
Actually, yes, almost every new user has thought of this but you are actually answering it in your last sentence.
basslord1124 wrote:I am a little bias here just b/c I do hard drive installs but I still think it'd be a cool feature to have.
Puppy is a LiveCD that "can" be installed as a full install. So from my point of vlew that it can be installed as a full install is a secondary feature.

People should only do a full install if they absolutelly need to do it due to low memory. There is no other advantage whatsoever compared to the frugal intall.

Although my last statement brings up an interesting issue:
I will venture to guess that people with a resource constrained computer is less likely to have access to a fast or reliable connection to download the ISO.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

The new packages all wind up in the pupget-repo. So, theoretically, a script could be written to install them and do some changes for the upgrade.

One problem is the difference between full-install and normal: no pup_xxx.sfs file. If Barry removes something in a new iso, the updater doesn't delete it. It simply no longer exists, because you're using another pup_xxx.sfs file. The exception is when you made some change to it, which results in it's existance within the save-file. I'm not familiar enough with the update system to know what Puppy does in that case. Old ones used to just clear out anything in /usr that wasn't registered with Pupget. Dunno if it still does. I always start fresh and manually copy some of my stuff over.

It would be possible to just upgrade individual apps manually from Barry's packages though. Bigger, more structural changes would be trickier.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

The updater clears out anything with an older time stamp than that of the 'official' file in the iso. At least that's the impressions I got when I looked over the update script recently, but I haven't gone through it in detail yet.

Some mechanics of how a Puppy installer might be constructed - It might be possible to create something that functioned similar to unleashed, which basically creates a complete Puppy filesystem in the rootfs_complete subfolder, but instead of creating it in a subfolder create it in a partition. Then instead of packages.txt containing the full list with all installed packages marked 'on', everything would be marked 'off'. Then mark them 'on' in livepackages.txt, and include the file list. Unleashed contains a script, createpupgetpkgs, which not only creates all of the packages but creates a database with file lists for every package. It is saved in the 0packages_db-xxx package and can be found for download on ibiblio. I have been thinking for a while how this might be accomplished, in case you haven't noticed. I have two computers that benefit greatly from using a full install as opposed to a frugal install, and being able to easily update them would be great.

I actually have something on the cooker for Grafpup following along these lines, but it's nowhere near a reality yet. The eventual plan is to offer full and minimal install cd's along with the live cd, just like a lot of bigger distros do. I think it is both feasible and desirable. However, I have so many other projects going at present it is unlikely to see the light of day for a while.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

basslord1124

#5 Post by basslord1124 »

I see what you all mean by some of the suggestions.

I tend to overlook that Puppy is more marketed as being a live CD or a small enough OS to slap on USB drive and I am sure many here utilize those features. Thus, updates for that become rather silly I suppose. I am one of those who goes with hard drive installs just b/c it gives me the opportunity to put some older machines to use, all of my old machines lack CD burners anyways so there is no sense for me to consider doing the multisession thing. I just find hard drive installs better for my needs.

I will say though I think Barry has people like me (the HD installers) in mind, b/c recently I updated one of my Puppy 2.12 machines to 2.13. In the install process the prompt actually came up saying that it detected the other version. And gave me the option to do a clean install or only upgrade the needed files to the latest version. Of course that option may have been there and I just recently noticed it...I am a new pup, only been using Puppy since 2.12.

klhrevolutionist

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Some of us are working on this !! It takes time as there are so few who wish to offer a stable base + support options.

What some of us wish to do is take puppy 1.0.9 which is one of the most stable releases to date and build a community that offers software, chat and a forum.

As it stands now we have a website and a small following that is gaining ground. Others wish to portay this as an alienation against puppylinux but in fact it is an extension of the community.

I here your ideas & there are others who are in agreement that have the same vision as you. Hopefully you will tun-in to the irc channel and help us get more organized & structured so as to speed up this envisioned process.

Website
Chat
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!