puppy on ultra 10

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
lederlunge

puppy on ultra 10

#1 Post by lederlunge »

hi!
i asked myself if it could be possible to boot a puppy on an ultra 10 sun maschine equipped with an ultaSPARC-processor. i have tried to read about the t-2 puppy-receipt, but found it somewhat TOO advanced for me.

has anyone else tried it ?
i am not shure, but i have heard that the sparc-processor is open-source: you-re allowed to build one in your garage if you want.
mayby something for the one-sparc-per-child-project.

i have tried to install the latest t-2 CD-s for sparc but the mashine stopped after 30 second-s.

Ultra-10 (UltraSPARC-IIi) 440MHz
384 MB ram
CDROM, no usb, type 5 keyboard and mouse

thanx in advance
#
http://www.jamendo.com/de/album/104/

RobertB

#2 Post by RobertB »

I assume, both by the lack of replies to this post and by the offhand mentions in other threads, that Puppy is not cross-platform? I was about to send a note to someone on Craigslist, giving away what I'm sure was once thousands of dollars worth of high-end server equipment:
Sun Ultra 60 - Solaris Server
Date: 2008-05-07, 10:09AM

Sun Ultra60 server.
18Gb and 9Gb SCSI drives
1280 Mb RAM
OpenBoot 3.31
UltraSparc II 360Mhz
GFX8P 1152X900 video
Includes DLT tape drive
Works well - I am just not using it anymore.
I'm not complaining -- Puppy has brought several old machines back to life. The most recent is my elderly neighbor's Pentium III -- HD has a broken Windows ME installation, so I gave her a boot CD and set up a save file. Her kids/grandkids are telling her that she needs to upgrade to XP -- I told her it probably won't even work on her box. She's happy enough playing the built-in games in Puppy.

Um... oh, yeah, the topic. I sure wish I could rescue this once-amazing piece of hardware, but I guess not. That's ok, the kids will be happier if I *don't* bring home yet another computer!
Attachments
sparc.jpg
Picture of Sun Ultra60 server, being given away for free on Craigslist.
(6.09 KiB) Downloaded 842 times

cb88

#3 Post by cb88 »

i have a project at my college to build a cross platform linux cluster if you live near north carolina we might could drum up the shipping cost for it....

you can be sure we would put it to good use :-) you can check out our site at http://gcadvsg.rr.nu
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

RobertB

#4 Post by RobertB »

It was in Dallas, but apparently someone saw the value of the box -- the listing is now marked "deleted by author". Sorry!

cb88

#5 Post by cb88 »

heh... using my amazing google skillz i also came to this conslusion shortly after posting....
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.

RobertB

#6 Post by RobertB »

That's too bad... I was hoping you were posting to say *you* were the one he gave it to. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

I assume, both by the lack of replies to this post and by the offhand mentions in other threads, that Puppy is not cross-platform?
Puppy is compiled to run on the x86 processor series
(I believe it is compiled to run on x486 upward)

To support another processor is not a simple undertaking.
Which one should it be?
The Sparc, the ARM, the Godson, the Cell and so on . . .

To be honest it would probably be best to start from scratch
and compile each program and aim for it to be 'Puppy like'.
A major effort would be required. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cb88

#8 Post by cb88 »

actaully it would be all *that* major as far as i can tell t2 seems easy enough to use(dowloaded the t2 sde but don't have the bandwidth to get the rest :-( )... but most other processors are not really in puppy's target auduience.... i mean if you have sparcs laying around chances are you are not gonna want to run a desktop distro on it like puppy chances are you are gonna run a high security server distro like debian or even one of the BSDs

Aitch

#9 Post by Aitch »

MM Sun hardware

Plenty around - 64 bit processors, multi processor mobos, up to 16Gb memory even on old ones, scsi raid, - mmmm, drool

back to possibility though, I posted this

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28862

Which may put PPC Mac within reach?

Any Devs wanna take a look?

Edit: PS isn't Dingo T2 based?

Aitch :)

billybob

Sun Ultra 10

#10 Post by billybob »

> MM Sun hardware

if MM means yum, yum.. you might better know before you run out and acquire one of the larger, newer Ultra 30s, 60s, 80s: they had UltraSPARC III CPUs in them. That model of CPU had serious design flaws which led to infrequent CPU crashes with ecache parity errors. Suns software workaround in the kernel was not a perfect solution. So, if you get one of this breed of CPU and run Linux on it, then it's very likely that the Linux kernel doesn't handle the ecache PEs at all.

It seems that the Ultra 10 was an older model which came with UltraSPARC IIi CPU which did NOT have the ecache problem, AFAIK.

Newer Sun UltraSPARC IIIs may look like a bargain, but most big outfits [ie: corporations, USGov, etc.] unloaded them all because of this flaw.

buyer beware!