Network wizard Beta version for testers

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
barriew

#106 Post by barriew »

Rarsa,

Sorry never saw you last request to me - been doing other things! BUT, I've now loaded 2.14 and it looks as though using the zd1211rw driver, WPA will work. It connected, but didn't acquire an IP. In fact I have a problem in that after a reboot it doesn't acquire an IP even on an OPEN connection, although using the wizard there are no problems acquiring an IP in this case.

I will do some more investigations tomorrow.

Barrie

barriew

#107 Post by barriew »

Rarsa,

Now tested the Open Connection, and it does not retain the connection after a re-boot. Here is the log output

Loading extra ethernet driver modules...

The following interfaces have been found: eth0 eth1
Trying to connect
WARNING: Interface eth0 has not been configured. Use the network wizard.
/etc/eth1wireless found
Configuring wireless interface eth1

Testing if eth1 network is alive... (press Enter to cancel)
..Trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)...
Error initializing interface eth1.!

This is with a Full HD clean install of Puppy 2.14, with zd1211rw driver. This works fine after running the wizard, except no Blinky, but doesn't after the re-boot.

As suspected, WPA does work, but with the same problems described above. Here is the log

Loading extra ethernet driver modules...

The following interfaces have been found: eth0 eth1
Trying to connect
WARNING: Interface eth0 has not been configured. Use the network wizard.
/etc/eth1wireless found

Acquiring WPA connection for eth1... (press Enter to cancel)

Testing if eth1 network is alive... (press Enter to cancel)
.Trying to get IP address from DHCP server (60sec timeout)...
Error initializing interface eth1.!

Barrie

Barrie

rarsa

#108 Post by rarsa »

You are sooo lucky. I had the same problem so I was able to fix it.

I sent Barry a fix for rc.network just as he was uploading 2.14 so it didn't make it for this release.

Install the latest rc.network (version 2.14-3 or newer)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4716#94716
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

barriew

#109 Post by barriew »

Thanks Rarsa - that's fixed it. I think I will stay with 2.14 for a while now :D

Barrie

rdchin

Results from my "testing" and GUI suggestions

#110 Post by rdchin »

Thank you rarsa for the wpa-psk/tkip wizard!

It works on my Acer 3502 1 GHz laptop with built-in Atheros WIFI and on my ancient AST Ascentia Pentium 1 266 MHz laptop with an SMC EZ-Connect Wireless 802.11g USB adapter.

I am strictly a "user" and am critiquing from that point of view.

Suggestions for the GUI:
1. The encryption buttons "Open", "WEP" and "WPA/TKIP" have no indication that they have been pressed. i.e. "Open" and "WEP" use the same window screen. The profile buttons indicate which one is pressed with a dotted outline around the selected button. Could you put a dotted outline around the encryption buttons too?

2. Change name of the "Open" button to "None" for (no encryption).

3. The Basic/Advanced button for WPA/TKIP does not appear to do anything right now. Is it for future use?

4. Could the "Save" and "Use this Profile" button be combined into one button? "Save & Use", I think if someone creates a new profile that they want to use, wouldn't they want to save it too?

5. Create new button "Copy" to copy the profile to a new name.
"Save & Use", "Copy", "Delete". The save and delete buttons should be separated to minimize accidently clicking the delete button when trying to save the profile.

5. Move the "New Profile" button to the top of the Select Profile button list and rename it "create new profile manually". Since the second way to create a new profile is by scanning, perhaps make a button for that also.

Select Profile
create new profile manually (button)
create new profile by scanning (button)
template (button)

My work flow:
1. Create new or select existing profile.
2. Select encryption.
3. Edit or fill in relevant fields.
4. Save & Use profile.

1. Select existing profile.
2. Delete profile.

1. Select existing profile.
2. Copy profile to new profile name.
3. Edit relevant fields.
4. Save & Use profile.

laptopnewbee

#111 Post by laptopnewbee »

rdchin wrote:4. Could the "Save" and "Use this Profile" button be combined into one button? "Save & Use", I think if someone creates a new profile that they want to use, wouldn't they want to save it too?
when you select a profile from your list and it is being viewed why would you wish to save it again? it seems a waste to overwrite a profile with the exact same profile. to me it makes sense to keep the two functions seperate that way you can view profiles till you have the exact one you want and not waste processor time (however small it may be) on resaving the already saved.
rdchin wrote:5. Create new button "Copy" to copy the profile to a new name.
"Save & Use", "Copy", "Delete". The save and delete buttons should be separated to minimize accidently clicking the delete button when trying to save the profile.
why copy? why not as you already have it up input the new name, and save? imho (or maybe nsho) while making sure that delete is not hit in error is a good idea, the buttons are named correctly and have the correct functions.

btw rarsa, the reason i haven't been commenting on the wizard is due to not having to deal with wpa anymore, however while i can't check on it's operationality anymore, i'm more than happy to add my input on what i think will make it more intuitive, or keep it intuitive.
so much to learn, so late a start.

rdchin

#112 Post by rdchin »

laptopnewbee wrote:
when you select a profile from your list and it is being viewed why would you wish to save it again? it seems a waste to overwrite a profile with the exact same profile. to me it makes sense to keep the two functions seperate that way you can view profiles till you have the exact one you want and not waste processor time (however small it may be) on resaving the already saved.

I agree #4 was not a workable suggestion. You do want to test a profile before finally saving it. Should the "Use" button be renamed "Connect"?

laptopnewbee wrote:
why copy? why not as you already have it up input the new name, and save? imho (or maybe nsho) while making sure that delete is not hit in error is a good idea, the buttons are named correctly and have the correct functions.

The reason I suggested a "Copy" button is because some folks may use multiple passwords on the same SSID and rotate them on a regular basis. Another wireless profile manager allowed 3 or 4 passphrases for the same profile and you would select the passphrase you would want to use.

laptopnewbee

#113 Post by laptopnewbee »

rdchin wrote:The reason I suggested a "Copy" button is because some folks may use multiple passwords on the same SSID and rotate them on a regular basis. Another wireless profile manager allowed 3 or 4 passphrases for the same profile and you would select the passphrase you would want to use.
but if you pull up a profile to copy it you have to provide a new profile name. since you already have a saved copy of the profile change the name of what's onscreen, and save it. no copy button needed, it just happens as part of the process, just like saving a variation of a file using the save as menu choice, but easier.

rarsa

#114 Post by rarsa »

I requested in a previous post to focus on the functionality.

The whole UI will soon change... dramatically. I won't make any changes to the current UI so I can focus on the new one.

Here is a VERY EARLY preview.

http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... iewap8.jpg

Pure GTK so it will have tooltips (fly over hints) and a lot of window real state for all the niceties suggested.

So please, focus on the functionality and let me know if it works. (UI quirks not withstanding).

Thank you for all your suggestions.

laptopnewbee

#115 Post by laptopnewbee »

rarsa wrote:Here is a VERY EARLY preview.

http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... iewap8.jpg
i like it so far, please show me more when you have more.

paulh177

#116 Post by paulh177 »

boot puppy 2.14: nopcmcia

Code: Select all

# net-setup.sh -d > netsetup2.14-9.log.txt
cat: /etc/ethernetmodules: No such file or directory
"Puppy has done a quick check ..." etc
.Load driver -> select driver ipw3945
"Module ipw3945 has loaded successfully ..."
.OK
"Puppy has done a quick check ..." etc
"If you can see a new ... etc" -> I can,so I click
.Save
"Puppy sees 1 active network interface ..."
.eth0
"Puppy has found eth0 is a wireless interface ..."
.Wireless
Now I enter profile name, ESSID, leave Managed checked, and click WPA/TKP.
A new dialogue box for Shared Key appears and I paste in my 64-char hex key in upper case, and click Save.
The network setup screen blinks off and back, and I then click "Use this profile"

Message box now pops up:

"Shared key must be either - Alphanumeric betwen 8 and 63 character or - 64 characters hexadecimal"
.OK
Main network setup screen redraws with message:
"unable to connect to a wireless network"

Logfile contains the following:

ipw3945d - regulatory daemon
Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
version: 1.7.22
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection found at:
 /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ipw3945/0000:05:00.0
Daemon launched as pid 5099.  Exiting.
ipw3945
When I open /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf at this point it looks like this:

trl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ap_scan=2
update_config=1
network={
	ssid="default"
	psk="defaultpsk"
	proto=WPA
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
	pairwise=TKIP
	group=TKIP
}
If I manually enter my SSID and hex key into wpa_supplicant.conf, and then manually run wpa_supplicant, it loads ok
If I then run the network wizard again, it sees eth0 as an alive interface and I can proceed to click on DHCP, which gets me a lan address and I'm connected --
So somehow my hex key is not being recognised (I posted this same error in this thread on feb 5th with first version of the new wizard btw)

paul

rarsa

#117 Post by rarsa »

paulh177 wrote:A new dialogue box for Shared Key appears and I paste in my 64-char hex key in upper case, and click Save.
Thank you for your report. I found the bug.

Please try entering the alpha caracters in lower case. I will fix the wizard when I get home.

I am checking for a hex key with lower case. I'd appreciate if you can also test editing /usr/sbin/wag-profiles.sh and changing line 758

echo "${PROFILE_KEY}" | grep -E "^[0-9abcdef]{64}"
To

echo "${PROFILE_KEY}" | grep -E "^[0-9a-fA-F]{64}"
Thank you for all the patience testing and narrowing down the bugs.
Last edited by rarsa on Fri 23 Feb 2007, 23:24, edited 1 time in total.

paulh177

#118 Post by paulh177 »

OK rarsa that now works fine.
However the file that needs changing is wag-profiles.sh not net-setup.sh!

There is a further bug when you try to use "scan" where the wizard goes into a loop which can only be exited with a "kill -9".

Basically, if you hit "scan" it finds my hidden network ok, but whether I hit
OK or Cancel or even "the X in the corner" it rescans and comes back to the "OK, Cancel" screen displaying the network it has found.

There's no way to exit this, so I have to kill the net-setup.sh process.

Hope this helps too.

Paul

rarsa

#119 Post by rarsa »

paulh177 wrote:Basically, if you hit "scan" ...I hit OK or Cancel ... it rescans
Ok, here is the scoop:

The only reason I could find for this to happen is the following:

- After you click OK on the scanning window, it goes back to try to create the profiles window with the values from the selected scanned network.

- Your Network has a "funny" ESSID that maybe includes special characters such as " \ $ @

- The gtkdialog that shows the profiles window finds an error because of the special characters so it shuts down

- The lastest exit code for the profiles windows was the one corresponding to the "scan" button so it executes it again...

Unless you think that this scenario is totally wrong, I will defer fixing this bug until I release the new UI that won't suffer from the gtkdialog problems.

I don't want to keep spinning my wheels finding workarounds for gtkdialog. I prefer to just totally ditch it.

paulh177

#120 Post by paulh177 »

Hmmm my SSID is 10 characters, all alpha-only characters, mixed upper- and lower- case. There are no "special" characters used at all and no numerics.

What is being displayed in the dialogue boxes is <hidden> rather than the actual SSID. I'm sorry I haven't got screenshots for you to make this clearer.

(I also have to reboot out of 2.14 and back into Xp or 2.13 to get back onto the network and post this info, as when I'm using my pup_save under 2.14 it won't connect to the network at all -- I have to boot pfix=ram and reinstall net-setup.sh 2.14-9 each time -- so it is a pain to test)

From a personal point of view, this bug doesn't affect me, so I don't need it fixed. But as I noticed it I thought it a good idea to report it.

If you are going to change to a new development model anyway, maybe just leave it as it is?

barriew

#121 Post by barriew »

"Basically, if you hit "scan" ...I hit OK or Cancel ... it rescans"

Rarsa,

I had the same problem yesterday when investigating problems with the zd1211rw driver.

Barrie

rarsa

#122 Post by rarsa »

I have a pretty good idea of where the problem is, and what conditions may cause it, but I don't know what is causing it in this particular case.

Please run the net-setup from the console and send me the output.

bkk

Wifi w/WPA-PSK

#123 Post by bkk »

I spent weeks with Ubuntu trying to use this device. Using ndiswrapper, wpa_supplicant and your network wizard I was on the net in 5 minutes after remembering to enable legacy USB in my boot setup. Thanks a million.

bkk

bkk

wpa-psk

#124 Post by bkk »

Hi,
I just finished using wpa_supplicant, ndiswrapper, and the network wizard to install a linksys usb wireless nic on an ancient MB with a 45oMhz processor laying on my workbench. Once I remembered to enable USB, the set up was a piece of cake. The other players, Ubuntu, Freespire, Mepis, etc. should take a look. I invested weeks of effort doing the same project using Ubuntu, sifting through volumes of misinformation in a plethora of wiki's etc. Well done.

jfkfield2

New uI've tried puppy linux at the encouragementser comments

#125 Post by jfkfield2 »

I wasn't sure where to post all this. I understand you want new users comments. Here's some. I also put this in the encryption section.
I've tried puppy linux at the encouragement of my brother previously but I couldn't get wifi to work. The last time, it was better but I had just gone up to WPA from WEP and that wasn't there. So I hadn't used it to speak of.
I downloaded 2.14, burned an iso to a CD-RW and started up again. I had a little trouble with the WPA, it wasn't clear to me what numbers I really should be using for password and whatnot, that's not a fault of they puppy system but a lot of stuff you get with SBC Yahoo is "idiot proofed" and you don't really need to know much. But I looked it up.
When you're trying to get the WPA window up it's a little non-intuitive. You have to poke around a bit to get the right sequence of things. I lucked out the first time (beginners luck). It was working fine and that proved it COULD be done. That was helpful because I messed up and thought I could get the CD-RW to load the "change file" when I powered down but that's a no-no I found out.
Anyhow, I had to start over when I powered up and that time I had a bit more trouble with the auto help wizard thing. Having had it work once though kept me going 'cause I knew it could be done!
Turns out you really really need to use the scan thing. But it's a little tricky to select WPA then scan just right before it'll even see a WPA wifi node. Once it does, then just enter the key and you're there.
I'm using an ACER laptop with 802.11g. It's a Travelmate with a Pentium M and CD burner/DVD reader combo.