BarelyPup-2.13-0.1 - Nearly empty Puppy 2.13

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
lvds

#31 Post by lvds »

Hello,

...I understand. And can you give any clue for removing web browser opera ? Mine users have need for some firefox extensions and they won't be able to work with opera. So i think even if it does fill a little bit more the memory size we have to change the web browser.

Are there "external" files to remove or is it just removing the Opera directory enough ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

pakt

#32 Post by pakt »

lvds wrote:And can you give any clue for removing web browser opera ?
Huh? Are you sure you are using BarelyPup? Barelypup doesn't contain any browser, not even Dillo.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

lvds

#33 Post by lvds »

pakt wrote:Huh? Are you sure you are using BarelyPup? Barelypup doesn't contain any browser, not even Dillo.
yes, sorry :oops: it's early morning here and i was thinking/working on eBox distro. excuse me. It is because it is such a work to correctly remove un-needed software...

Best regards,
Laurent.

freke

#34 Post by freke »

I am still enjoying using puppy and am still learning. I have loaded barelypup on both cd and dvd but I cannot get it to save, I have tried all my (limited) methods but they do not work. I can only get by with the aid of the forum.

Ted aka thicko

pakt

#35 Post by pakt »

lvds wrote:It is because it is such a work to correctly remove un-needed software...
Exactly why I created BarelyPup. Perhaps you should use that instead ;)

Paul

pakt

#36 Post by pakt »

freke wrote:I am still enjoying using puppy and am still learning. I have loaded barelypup on both cd and dvd but I cannot get it to save, I have tried all my (limited) methods but they do not work. I can only get by with the aid of the forum.
Ted, please explain what you mean by "save". Do you mean you cannot create a pup_save.3fs file?

rob2306

Barely Pup

#37 Post by rob2306 »

I don't know if this is just something I did wrong or if there is something wrong with the script that loads grub for Barely Pup, but when I tried to install to my HD, the process of installing grub to MBR didn't finish/work - just closed the dialogue box. I eventually used the puppy 2.13 live cd and installed grub from the control panel menu -grub config (the grub folder had been created on the HD, but was empty). I was then able to re-boot into Barely Pup.

But hey, it's excellent work and great fun! :)

Thanks Paul.

pakt

Re: Barely Pup

#38 Post by pakt »

rob2306 wrote:I don't know if this is just something I did wrong or if there is something wrong with the script that loads grub for Barely Pup, but when I tried to install to my HD, the process of installing grub to MBR didn't finish/work - just closed the dialogue box.
Glad your enjoying BarelyPup :) and nope, you didn't do anything wrong - I left out the 'grub-0.97' package in BarelyPup 0.1. I've already added it to 0.2 which is in the works. The main change will be the addition of dialup networking.

Paul

freke

#39 Post by freke »

Yes whenever I make a cd or dvd as I do with all other iso, when I try to save I get the message something like (growsoft line 180 missing tme to upgrade to a dvd)
I am still learning.

Ted

jam

Pup Naming

#40 Post by jam »

Great job with this version. I had used Murga's latest "Mean Puppy" as my base but I'm going to try this one instead to build on. Another name I would suggest is BasePup, but BarelyPup is fine with me. There are so many flavors that at some point it's quite a project to track the various versions. These are the ones that come to mind:

- Puppy Linux 1.xx and 2.xx variants
- Hacao LInux
- PizzaPupst
- PuppyLite
- Mean Puppy
- Very Mean Puppy
- Muppy
- Puppy Professional
- Xpuppy Pro
- eBoxPup
- Lan Puppy
- Micro Puppy
- Grafpup
- PuppyCE
- LitePup

...and now BarelyPup. That's quite a list!

I'm sure I missed some on this list too. :)
Jam

pakt

Re: Pup Naming

#41 Post by pakt »

jam wrote:I had used Murga's latest "Mean Puppy" as my base but I'm going to try this one instead to build on. Another name I would suggest is BasePup, but BarelyPup is fine with me. There are so many flavors that at some point it's quite a project to track the various versions.
Yes, 'BasePup' is not bad, but a bit of fun never hurts ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that not all of these Puppy variants are based on the same version of Puppy. In fact this is what I see as being the biggest problem - not everyone making a Puppy variant includes the original Puppy version it's based on in the name. That would make selection much easier - most people would choose one based on a recent Puppy version. Then there is also the problem of naming a variant the same as an existing one but made by someone else... :roll:

BTW, I'm going to add a list of packages that I used to the first post. BarelyPup is not really meant to run 'as is' since many packages have been left out, e.g. dialup networking. A list of packages will make it easier to decide what to add.

Paul

pakt

#42 Post by pakt »

Ok, I've added a list of the packages in BarelyPup to the first post.

pakt

#43 Post by pakt »

freke wrote:Yes whenever I make a cd or dvd as I do with all other iso, when I try to save I get the message something like (growsoft line 180 missing tme to upgrade to a dvd)
I am still learning.
Ok, the problem is that the CD/DVD burning packages are not included in BarelyPup. This was done in order to keep BarelyPup as small as possible. Not everyone needs the burning tools. You can make an iso file with BarelyPup, but you'll need to run Puppy to burn the iso image to a disc. The alternative is to use pupget to install the packages needed for CD/DVD burning.

Paul

freke

#44 Post by freke »

Thanks for the exlanation Paul,
I have saved it to my usb, and I am quite happy with that, but is there a way to transfer the save from the usb to my cd or dvd.

Ted javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

pakt

#45 Post by pakt »

freke wrote:I have saved it to my usb, and I am quite happy with that, but is there a way to transfer the save from the usb to my cd or dvd.
Ted, if you've got the iso file saved on a USB stick, just boot your PC with a 'normal' Puppy (like 2.13). Then just mount the USB stick with MUT and point the burner program to the file on the USB stick. The directory should be /mnt/sda1/

Hope that helps ;)

Paul

freke

#46 Post by freke »

Paul, sad to report failure on my part, I loaded puppy and mounted the usb then used burndiso2cd I tried as a multiple cd then as a single,
and loaded it to /mnt/sda1/ when that did not work I used /mnt/sda1/.iso
the read out came too fast for me to read but each time it failed to load,
what have I missed?

Ted

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#47 Post by Lobster »

BarelyPup clearly belongs to the family of "Barebones" here is the original logo . . .

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

lvds

#48 Post by lvds »

pakt wrote:Exactly why I created BarelyPup. Perhaps you should use that instead ;) Paul
I have began to use barelypup as a base to build a new distro but i have experimented a few problems regarding installation of new packages. If i use the PET-PUP pack manager to install a PET it always report problem and refuses to install. You can try for example with galculator.pet. It is ok to install PUPs if i click on them with ROX but i had no success with PETs.

Perhaps it is linked to a previously reported problem, but can you check and if the bug has been corrected yet perhaps may you build an update for Barelypup ?

Thanks for all

GatorDog

Abiword in barelypup

#49 Post by GatorDog »

slvrldy17 wrote:Been playing with this pup since you posted it - with mixed results. Am using an IBM T21 Thinkpad - P3 700Mghz, 512MB RAM. Have added a couple of browsers/applications - Iceweasel and Dillo and MT Paint installed/worked successfully. Some others - Firefox 2.0.0.1, Opera 9.1, and Abiword install OK according to the Pupget pkg manager and show up in the menu but will not open or run. Not sure why.
For Abiword, Petget reports missing dependencies:
libgnomecanvas-2.so.0
libgnomeprint-2-2.xo.0
libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0

I booted a full puppy. Copied the following files from /usr/lib to a jump drive.
libgnomecanvas-2.so.01400.0
libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0.1.0
libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0.1.0

Reboot barelypup. Copy the files to /usr/lib.
You have to create a symlink to these files.
To each of these files: Right click, select -Link
(a little window pops up to edit the symlink )
Edit the filename to the shorter version (first list above)
Click on the Symlink button.

Abiword should work now.

Petget also reported that fribidi-0.10.7 library is needed but it downloaded
that file successfully on it's own.

As my kids would say, "barelypup rocks!". :D

rod

GatorDog

#50 Post by GatorDog »

What do I need to add to BarelyPup to get Partition size and
Manage Running Processes to work from the taskbar freemem applet?

rod

edited

Similar to above solution. I copied /usr/sbin/kp and /usr/sbin/partview from
another version to BarelyPup; same folders.
Last edited by GatorDog on Fri 16 Feb 2007, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.