Pctorrent(Pupctorrent)-1.7a another gtkdialog gui + ctorrent

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
plinej

Pctorrent(Pupctorrent)-1.7a another gtkdialog gui + ctorrent

#1 Post by plinej »

Here's a little gui for the ctorrent bit torrent client.

0.2 - updated the gui a bit.

0.3 - added the ability to create torrent files to the gui

0.4 - added some more options to the gui and re-vamped the create torrent portion. I also added a help section.

0.5 - revised scripts for the new gtkdialog3 binary. Added the ability to remove a tracker from your added trackers. You'll need the new gtkdialog3 executable for Puppy's 2.14 and previous. You can find it here:
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... 0.7.18.pet

06. - missed a couple of gtkdialog2 spots in my scripts so revised again.

0.7 - fixed a small bug & updated the icons to use the stock gtk icons and made program install to /usr/local/apps/ instead of /usr/local/

0.8 - fixed a small bug when creating torrent files

0.9 - enhanced the create torrent section and fixed some bugs

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.0 - I did a bunch of stuff this time around. Notes below:

1. renamed scripts to "pctorrent" & "pcreatetorrent".

2. All of the code is in each script and no other files are necessary.
The package will install the "pctorrent" & "pcreatetorrent" scripts to /usr/sbin/ and the help file will be installed to /usr/share/doc. You can then delete the /usr/local/apps/Network/Pupctorrent directory.

3. No more Xdialog dependancy. It depends on ctorrent, gtkdialog (version 0.7.20 or greater - currently the gtkdialog3 executable in puppy), & rxvt.

4. I removed the 2 rows of buttons at the bottom of the gui and made them into a menubar at the top instead. This way the gui heighth is decreased.

5. Removed some redundant and unnecessary codelines.

6. Fixed a couple of small bugs that I never noticed before going over the code in the last couple of days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.1 some slight modifications requested by maddox

1.2 I forgot dougal sent me an updated help html for this quite a while back. The original file was rather large and had some weird syntax highlighting that he fixed. So this is just an updated (smaller) help file and a minor tweak in the code.

1.3 no major changes here just some slight modifications

1.4 fixed a bug that would sometimes delete the temp file before it gets executed.

I was reading thru previous posts and saw that Newcrest wanted the ability to pass a selected torrent file in rox to my program. I made the script that will make that possible. Download the application_x-bittorrent.tar.gz file below and unpack it into /root/Choices/MIME-types

After that click on a torrent in rox and it should open up in my program.
This will only work if you've upgraded to pctorrent (not pupctorrent).

I'll also post a dotpet for the most recent enhanced ctorrent.

http://www.rahul.net/dholmes/ctorrent/
Attachments
ctorrent-dnh3.3.2.pet
(85.33 KiB) Downloaded 2497 times
application_x-bittorrent.tar.gz
(184 Bytes) Downloaded 2236 times
pctorrent-1.7a.pet
(11.06 KiB) Downloaded 2857 times
Last edited by plinej on Tue 30 Jun 2020, 11:28, edited 27 times in total.

plinej

#2 Post by plinej »

Here's a pic
Attachments
pupctorrent-0.4.jpg
(173.02 KiB) Downloaded 4870 times
Last edited by plinej on Fri 09 Feb 2007, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

is ctorrent smaller / better than transmission

#3 Post by Lobster »

:) very impressive

is ctorrent smaller / better than transmission? (in Puppy)

the seeding options look better from your gui
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

plinej

#4 Post by plinej »

ctorrent is smaller (this latest version I posted is 106.5 Kb's) it also has more options than Transmission.

plinej

#5 Post by plinej »

ctorrent also has the capability of creating torrent files to seed on trackers. I'll probably add that to the gui if there's any interest. Also the choose specific file to download option appears to be broken. It seems as though the command is correct but I'll see if I can figure out why.

AndyMack

#6 Post by AndyMack »

Im wondering for those who download via torrents do you/they use a peerguardian/Moblock program to protect yourselves or just leave it to chance.

rarsa

#7 Post by rarsa »

Nice,

I'd suggest aligning the entry fields. Also sizing the entry fields and buttons evenly.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

plinej

#8 Post by plinej »

Andymack, I've never used a peerguardian/Moblock program and have downloaded alot of torrents. Not even sure what those programs are.

Rarsa, I'll work on that for the next release along with a button for torrent file creation. I'll probably have some time late tonight.

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

IF you need some pointers for the alignement look at the code for the wag-profiles.sh script (I should be under /usr/sbin)

There I used the following trick:

Code: Select all

<vbox>
  <pixmap><input file>/usr/share/pixmaps/net-setup_btnsize.png</input></pixmap>
  <button><label>Delete</label><action>Exit=21</action></button>
</vbox>
This is, I created a vbox around each label and button and forced the size by using an invisible png with a standard size.

Or even better. Translate your script to tcl/tk.

I realized too late that it took me less time to learn tcl/tk than all the time I spent fighting gtkdialog to do what I wanted it to do for the network wizard. Using gtkdialog proved to be a tortuous process and I ended up feeling that I didn't really have control on how the app would look.

I can give you some pointers for that too.

plinej

#10 Post by plinej »

Thanks rarsa, I'll work on that aligning trick. As fas as tcl/tk I've looked into it before and was confused by it but maybe I'll try again. Any good guide to getting started?

rarsa

#11 Post by rarsa »

First: understand the quoting mental model.
I was totally confused with the quoting in tcl because of preconceptions from other languages.

Apparently I wasn't the only one. When I went to the #tcl room in free node to ask a question someone pointed me to this excelent page

http://wiki.tcl.tk/1726.

Once I read that page, my comprehension of the language increased 10 fold. That's when I realized how powerfull the language is.

Second: Bookmark these links and keep them handy

Tcl reference manual

Tk reference manual

Third. Get familiar with the geometry managers, specially "pack"
I'd recommend playing with pack to see how different -side and -anchor combinations work.

plinej

#12 Post by plinej »

Thanks rarsa, I'll definitely look into it.

plinej

#13 Post by plinej »

Had a few minutes and was able to change the gui for the better.

updated to 0.2 in the first post.

AndyMack

#14 Post by AndyMack »

peerguardian/moblock will block ip's from many sources who spy on you, mpaa etc.

I'd say the majority of people who d/l via torrents use one of these, it does'nt make you 100% safe but i'd rather use it than not.

Moblock seems to be the only one available for linux that is updated frequently. I'd like to install it myself but no-one seems forthcoming in helping.

plinej

#15 Post by plinej »

Alright, I'll look into it. It doesn't matter much to me because the majority of what I download is not pirated stuff.

plinej

#16 Post by plinej »

updated to 0.3 to include the ability to create torrent files to the gui.

plinej

#17 Post by plinej »

Updated to 0.4

Now there's an option to disguise ctorrent as Azureus incase if ctorrent is banned on a tracker you're trying to download from. You can also specify a file to download first from within the torrent. You can view the number of the file from the metainfo button. I added a feature to select your desired piece length when creating a torrent. The scrape button that you can see in the updated picture at the beginning of the thread will only appear if you have transmissioncli. The scrape feature will show you the number of seeders and downloaders on the selected torrent file. I don't see a feature like that built into ctorrent. The new help section should be able to help with any of the available options to set.

plinej

#18 Post by plinej »

updated to 0.5

plinej

#19 Post by plinej »

updated to 0.6

plinej

#20 Post by plinej »

updated to 0.7