XnView v1.68.1 (Free graphic viewer and editor)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Bruce B

XnView v1.68.1 (Free graphic viewer and editor)

#1 Post by Bruce B »

HowTo Install XnView v1.68.1 (Free graphic viewer and editor) in Puppy

Fature List

Import about 400 graphic file formats
Export about 50 graphic file formats
Multipage TIFF, Animated GIF, Animated ICO support
IPTC, EXIF
Resize
Copy/Cut/Crop
Adjust brigthness, contrast...
Modify number of colors
Apply filters (blur, average, emboss, ...)
Apply effects (lens, wave, ...)
Fullscreen mode
Slide show
Picture browser
Batch convert
Thumbnail create
Screen capture
Contact Sheet create
Multi-page file create (TIFF, DCX, LDF)
And more!

-------------------------

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

1) Download XnView

XnView v1.68.1 (static) + NView/NConvert v4.16 (TAR GZ not the RPM version)

home:
http://www.xnview.com/

download page:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview ... linux.html

2) Extract files from commandline

tar -xvwf XnView-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static.tgz
cd XnView-1.68-x86-unknown-linux2.x-static

3) Edit the install script as follows

(comment out lines 25 - 31)

# case "`id`" in
# uid=*(root)*)
# ;;
# *)
# echo "You must be root \!"
# exit
# esac

(change base dir on line 38)

BASEDIR="/root/my-applications"

4) Install

./install

5) That's it

You can run XnView from the commandline. Use ROX and drop a shortcut on the desktop. If you are really adept add your own menu item for it.

Enjoy!

----------------

Note: These instructions are for v1.68.1 only. I think a new release is due soon. The installation script may be different and this HOWTO may need to be modified for the new release.

#2 Post by Guest »

Don't know if you saw the related thread over here, it's kind of buried in another topic. http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87

Can you use the capture feature? It crashes using the noted manual install. (Thanks again GuestToo.)

I hope that a Unix upgrade does indeed come out soon, although it is very useful as is.

Waldo2

#3 Post by Waldo2 »

Oops, that was me in the reply above, apparently I was not logged in.

Another question: Can you use full screen mode? I could not escape from this. Using Ctrl-Q escapes but quits the program.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

i got stuck in a fullscreen slideshow ... i couldn't seem to get out of it at all ... i had to kill X by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace

anyway, the program is just a few executables and a library file and an app-defaults file ... if you have the executable, library file, and app-default file, it will run ... if you are missing anything, it won't run at all

Waldo2

#5 Post by Waldo2 »

There seems to be a partial remedy. There is an ongoing thread in the XNview Unix forum about full screen behavior. It is apparently a bug, with somewhat inconsistent behavior depending on distro. The only thing which worked for me under 1.0.2RC IceWM was Ctrl-Q which quit the program but left the rest of the desktop intact. However I just brought up 1.0.2 Final using IceWM, and now when I run full-screen slideshow I can escape normally. However full screen mode leaves the title bar and Start bar showing on the screen. If you roll off the Start bar, the only things showing are the title bar, and the little IceWM Start bar stub. Not perfect, but not too distracting for me at least.