GPS App in Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
pigshed

#31 Post by pigshed »

Poor little threads been unloved for so long ...

I take it this should work in Puppy 4 ? I just manually extract the files from the tar ??

Another piece of linux GPS software which looked quite interesting is "Viking". Appears you can download some of the google map images and run with them which could be interesting. Anyone tried it or know if it works on puppy ??

Cheers, Adam.

pigshed

#32 Post by pigshed »

Uhmm ..

Well, I downloaded john Doe's tarball. ... and just extracted the files into a directory .. went there in rxvt - typed gpsdrive - bash:gpsdrive: command not found ....

It's not easy being this incompetent you know !

This is always my puppy downfall .. whenever I try and install anything ... the instructions aren't applicable as package manager doesn't have the options mentioned for puppy 2 .. and then it just seems to become voodoo ... dead easy if you know what your doing - but otherwise - you haven't got a sniff ..

Downloaded the Viking tarball .. extracted that .. read the readme and my as well have been slapped around the head by a wet kipper.

All the threads asking the mysterious question ... when will linux become more mainstream ... when it has some conformity and consistency between the hundreds of versions .. when you can download an app you want, click on it - and it works.. When you don't always need two machines because you know the linux install probably won't work straight off and you'll need to spend the next two sleepless days and nights uncovering the secrets to make it work.. I know it's only my lack of knowledge, but everytime I try and install something the process ends up looking like the script for the next indiana jones film ...

Humbug.

RobertB

#33 Post by RobertB »

I don't know if it'll help, but Linux requires that you specify an executable script's path explicitly, if the proper voodoo has not been performed to make it available everywhere. And unlike DOS, that rule applies even if you're sitting in the directory where the script is!

So if "gpsdrive" is in your current directory, you would have to specify the *current path*. Dot for "current path", slash because it looks wrong without it:

Code: Select all

./gpsdrive
As for installation, I'm having similar issues -- if it's not in a .pup or .pet, I just don't have the mojo to install it. I'm a programmer, but I'm in the Windows world at work, and I think it's installed DRM in my brain that prevents Linux from working properly! Darn that autorun.inf. :)

HairyWill

#34 Post by HairyWill »

pigshed wrote:when will linux become more mainstream
Who cares, I'm having fun already.
As to gps and mapping there is loads of OS software what is it you are trying to do?
Do you have a gps? Which model?
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

pigshed

#35 Post by pigshed »

Hi Robert,

I think my voodoo was well out in that case .. !! I was in the right directory - but didn't add the directory name when trying to execute - but then as I guess I've not installed it anyway, it probably won't work anyway .. we live and learn .. well - hopefully ...

HairyWill,

The GPS is a "roadangel" - I've used it previously on the same laptop but running XP and autoroute. Just plugged it into the serial port and off we went...

Was thinking of taking the laptop on a little road trip and using it for route finding and generally working out where I was - where I should be and bringing the two together...

edoc

#36 Post by edoc »

BUMP! :lol:

Just curious if anyone is still monitoring this thread and if so if there is any news re. GPS and Puppy - especially on Netbooks.

Despite past troubles with HP notebooks and Linux I am looking hard at the "business class" Netbooks from HP as they seem to be better built and engineered than the others and natively Linux-friendly (not that the others are not).

What GPS hardware are Puppy folks using and is it with gpsdrive or some other app?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

PaulBx1

#37 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have Lupu 528 running on a Dell Mini 9 netbook. I found that someone had created a pet in the puppy-lucid repository of Puppy Package Manager for gpsdrive so I installed it. It complained a couple of dependencies were not found, libmysqlclient.so.16 and libpq.so.5. Not sure why because these are available in the same repositories, so I installed them too.

I was able to type gpsdrive at the command line, and it was in the graphic menu too. From the command line I now get a lot of complaints about icons missing. So I found those openstreetmap icons in PPM and installed them too. Strangely still some complaints; for example the postbox icon is not in the directory it is looking for, but in another directory. So I'm guessing these icon libraries were restructured at some point which broke things.

When I run it I get a map of northern Europe but can't do much besides zooming in or out. Not even moving around. Also I notice it does not think there is a gps, however I have the BU-353 plugged in and in Windows it works (after having installed the driver). The website claims most linuxes have that driver in the kernel (it's a very common device, they've sold gazillions). Pupscan shows a device, "Prolific Technology, Inc.", vendor 067B, Product 2303, Kernel module p12303, so I guess it is in the puppy kernel. Also the dongle LED is blinking which means it is on and finding satellites. Hardinfo shows it also. Perhaps there is some setup in gpsdrive I have to do, but as I said I can't do much with that. Has anyone had any luck with gpsdrive? I'm guessing the person who did the pet must have...

PaulBx1

#38 Post by PaulBx1 »

I think there is something wrong with gpsd, the daemon, not starting up something to do with a socket. And I got into "dependency hell", never able to quite clear out all missing dependencies (e.g. perlapi and upstart-job, neither of which I can find). So maybe I will start from scratch and try again. If that doesn't work I will buy a gps package and run it on Windows. Kind of discouraging what a huge mess this gps stuff is. Installing all that stuff really filled up my pupsave too. And a bug, PPM apparently lets you install the same package twice.

DPUP5520

#39 Post by DPUP5520 »

GPS works well in PupRescue when used as an add-on module for kismet haven't tested it on it's own though
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

PaulBx1

#40 Post by PaulBx1 »

OK, I carefully installed again, starting with gpsd. That appeared to work. I then installed gpsdrive. That had a couple problems; first it has so many dependencies that I couldn't see the full list or the buttons at the bottom of the PPM window! Probably could use a scrollbar. I just guessed what was there and hit "enter" which did a trim the fat operation. Then it said libmysqlclient.so.16 and libpq.so.5 were missing. I was able to find and install these.

I found this page which gave some hints. Dmesg informed me the device was /dev/ttyUSB0, so I entered this to start gpsd:

gpsd -nND2 /dev/ttyUSB0
And that appeared to work, at least it reported interacting with the device. Then in another console window I entered "gpsdrive". It reported "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock', and also complained about not finding /root/.gpsdrive/way.txt for some reason. The original gpsd window started cranking out messages, "client 127.0.0.1 (0) connect on fd 6", and "detaching 127.0.0.1 (sub 0, fd 6) in detach_client". Over and over. In the gpsdrive application it is still pretty well stuck, but at least it no longer reports there is no gps device.

Well, that was interesting, not sure what it all means, but I think I will buy a package to run on windows. I haven't tried kismet yet.

PaulBx1

#41 Post by PaulBx1 »

I noticed gpsd is also reporting that it "can't create socket". Not sure what socket it is talking about. I had run this command:

gpsd -nN -D1 -F /var/run/gpsd.sock
That socket is there if i look when it is running. If I set the debug level to 8 I see this:

control socket opened at /var/run/gpsd.sock
launching (Version 2.92)
Can't create socket
With D8 I do see a lot of communication between the gpsd and the device though. But I think it is bad that socket is not created.

BTW /etc/services appears to have the right data in it for this to work.

ockhams

#42 Post by ockhams »

Better late than never.

Try Tangogps and gpsd works a treat for me in lucid

edmont

gps

#43 Post by edmont »

I'd been receiving what looked like email for a scam .

After getting annoyed with this I decided to try and find the location
where the messages were coming from.
To do so I used two pieces of software , the first located the senders
I.P address , the second found the general location where the
message had been sent from .
In one instance the caller used a mobile phone to call from the
U.S.A and it appeared that he'd left the GPS on ; this provided
a much more accurate fix on the location .

Of course it's probably illegal ; however I was wondering if there
was some remote way to turn on the GPS of a mobile , this might
be useful information even if you don't want to be tracked.

Maybe the U.S.A , being the way it is on homeland security , likes
to have accurate GPS data on its citizens .

Anything available , through puppy linux , to help accurately locate
cellphones .