puppy cannot find idecd boot media- Live-CD booting problems

Booting, installing, newbie
sgtmattbaker

puppy cannot find idecd boot media- Live-CD booting problems

#1 Post by sgtmattbaker »

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi-AP motherboard. In order to get my drives to work correctly and allow me to burn discs in Windows I had to choose my JMicron Raid Controller under devices and upgrade driver to install dual channel ide controller. When I boot puppy from a disc on my old (5 yrs. old) Dell it works on my new machine (the asus board) it gives me

puppy cannot find idecd on boot media. I have used poweriso to edit of the files to say PCMDIA=none instead of PCMDIA=idecd. Now I just get the same error except instead of idecd it is idehd.

Please help.. thanks

asdf

#2 Post by asdf »

Did you make a Linux partition and add the puppy files to it?

I created a fat32 partition on my hard drive so that linux and windows could read it. That made it easier for me to add the puppy files.

Link to other thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14216

sgtmattbaker

that didn't help

#3 Post by sgtmattbaker »

I tried editing the file in the iso to say PCMDIA=none and now instead of cannot find puppy on idecd boot media it is idehd media

asdf

Re: puppy cannot find idecd boot media- Live-CD booting prob

#4 Post by asdf »

sgtmattbaker wrote:I have an Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi-AP motherboard. In order to get my drives to work correctly and allow me to burn discs in Windows I had to choose my JMicron Raid Controller under devices and upgrade driver to install dual channel ide controller. When I boot puppy from a disc on my old (5 yrs. old) Dell it works on my new machine (the asus board) it gives me

puppy cannot find idecd on boot media. I have used poweriso to edit of the files to say PCMDIA=none instead of PCMDIA=idecd. Now I just get the same error except instead of idecd it is idehd.

Please help.. thanks
Alright . I was getting the same reply from my new machine also. That is because I have a SATA DVD/RW that i am trying to boot the Live CD with.

The hard drive is also SATA

So what I did was to make 3 Partitons on the Hard Drive
The first was a Windows Partition "NTFS" so i could Dual boot
I also made a FAT Partition to use between Windows and Linux as they both can read a FAT file system.
Finally I made a ext3 Partition to have Linux installed to.

I placed the files vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pupxxx.sfs and zdrvxxx.sfs.
from the Puppy CD to the Fat partition or ext 3 if you created one.

Then booted from the CD.
This work around got Puppy up and running for me.
But be advised for me to save my configuration it had to be saved to the HDdrive as it would not run completely of the CD.
So the CD was just a boot CD and read the files off the Fat partition of the Hard Drive
But you must have a Partition that Linux can write to as it would not write back to my SATA CD drive.
I just decided to place Puppy on my Hard drive for my new computer.
I can run Puppy off CD from any of the other computers in the house if I want to. Thats the nice thing about it.

Let me know if it Helps.

If this solves your problem place Solved in the title.

PS here is a post by rcrsn51 that may help

LINKY http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
A number of laptop users have reported that they cannot boot off the Puppy Live CD. User asdf has identified one source of the problem - the CD uses the argument PMEDIA=idecd but may not identify the laptop's CD-ROM drive as such. It has been suggested that these users boot off a WakePup or SmartBoot Manager diskette. Unfortunately, they may not have a working diskette drive. Here is a work-around:

Step 1: Assuming that the laptop has a functional OS, manually copy the four Puppy files off the CD to the root of the hard drive - vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pupxxx.sfs and zdrvxxx.sfs.

Step 2: Download and burn the attached ISO.

Step 3: Boot off this CD.

The CD contains a standard GRUB bootloader setup that launches Puppy from a frugal install at (hd0,0).
pupboot.iso.gz
Description
gz

Download
Filename pupboot.iso.gz
Filesize 58.21 KB
Downloaded 2 Time(s)

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Today, at 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total