Vice - CBM/C64 Emulator

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
PeterSieg

Vice - CBM/C64 Emulator

#1 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi. I have compiled vice - the cbm emulator - within puppy 2.13.
Find it here (5MB!):
http://puppylinux.abcde.biz/cms/?Linux_ ... uppy_Linux
To install:
cd /
tar zxvf vice.tar.gz
Executables are in /usr/local/bin:
x64 - C64
x128 - C128
xpet - PET2001
Support files are in /usr/local/lib/vice

D64 - Game file - search the net :wink:

Peter
Have fun :)

orion70

#2 Post by orion70 »

Hello all. I'm new here and new to Puppy, so I'm an absolute beginner, but I hope to participate often to this forum.

Sorry to bring up a very old post, but I wonder if this version of VICE (or another Puppy compatible version of the same emulator) is still available somewhere in the Internet.

Thanks in advance for your help!

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

orion70

#4 Post by orion70 »

Thank you zigbert - I'll give it a try, although the reason why I was looking for VICE is that you can emulate also C16 / Plus4 and VIC-20.

I tried and install Pfau Zeh to emulate the VIC, but it does not seem to work... When I launch the executable, there's a strange error message (no file with that name, but the file IS there, and with THAT name!). :?:

eightbitz

#5 Post by eightbitz »

Vice 2.10 compiles easily on 4.12. For a true commodore experience check out these keycap stickers ( I just ordered a set :D )
http://www.amazon.com/COMMODORE-64-NON- ... 214&sr=8-4

What would be nice now is to boot directly into vice w/fullscreen and bypass JWM. I'd love to prank my buddy at work and put a live puppy cd in his drive that boots up to the C64 screen. :wink:
Last edited by eightbitz on Tue 20 Jan 2009, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

I agree what a great idea. if you get the details lined up on how to do it via command line. I'll walk you through a simple how to due it with a simple remaster trick (little script) and the one of two places to put the commands. If you could get to a machine just like the office one to practice all the better.

'Nice' office jokes are always welcome. For a new young but bright co-worker I installed a dos based text to speech program in his autoexec,bat that used the PC built in speaker (the beep) since the machines did not have sound cards installed it drove him nuts. He really was hearing voices and the old school squarewaves are hard to pin point.
Attachments
tran.zip
NOT FOR LINUX : old school PC speaker based EXE (MS-DOS) to translate text to speech. confuses the heck out of the newbees
(29.44 KiB) Downloaded 521 times

el ginko

#7 Post by el ginko »

I've done this for XP, using VirtualBox, and making it run fullscreen without host keys enabled, I couldn't find a way to completely hide the JWM taskbar, so I used Icewm as the wm, then disabled ROX-Filer for the pinboard, which leaves a black background...minus the sun splash screen, its pretty neat to see a dvd boot right into winxp. I could get a small version of icewm/xfce to make this happen with vice [imho xfce would be ideal, the .pup is supersmall]

if anyones really interested in that, and doesn't have the know-how, id mash it together tomorrow.

-eg.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

I tried the debian etch version of vice (1.19)
http://packages.debian.org/etch/vice
and only needed to update libreadline to 5.2 on puppy 2.12 to have it running just fine..........I took the roms from a windows compilation. For fullscreen it needs DGA extension enabled which may be disabled in xorg.conf.

Oh the joy of BASIC and shooting alien sprites :)

regards

mike

eightbitz

#9 Post by eightbitz »

I have compiled Vice 2.10 with the fullscreen option. Unfortunately I guess I can't attach files to this forum. If anyone wants it send a message to eightbitzATyahooDOTCOM

Really what I'd like to do is to make puppy transparent to the "user", and just open up automatically to a fullscreen C64 emulator. CCS64 gives the most authentic emulation and its available for dos/win. Maybe a fullscreen dosbox, or Wine?

It would also be cool to make Puppy's boot up dialog black on black (or invisible) and autoset the resolution to a standard 1024x768.

I'll try to work on some of these things tonight. :wink: