About future releases of Puppy Linux

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Alberto

About future releases of Puppy Linux

#1 Post by Alberto »

To the kind attention of Mr. Kauler.
Dear Mr. Kauler,
I have downloaded and burned a Puppy Linux 1.0.3 CD, then I started to get acquainted with it. My knowledge of Linux is low (I am a beginner). I found Puppy light, interesting, nice and full of software, but in my case I noticed that my Matrox Millennium G400 video card isn't completely supported (only low resolutions are permitted as 800x600x24 which gives evident cushion distortion and 640x480x24 which is OK but gives images that are bigger than my 17" Sony Multiscan monitor), notwithstanding it belongs to Linux supported hardware. Besides my Aureal Vortex au8830 sound card is not recognized as it isn't supported by Linux (but it is supported by ALSA).
I'm writing this to you, thankful for your effort about Puppy, in the hope not to bother you and that you can take it into account and add the suitable drivers in future Puppy Linux releases.
With kind regards,
Alberto Zeni (Genoa, ITALY)

#2 Post by Guest »

My Friend,

Since you come from the land that has given us Valentino Rossi and now us Aussie and Italians make such a great team I will endeavour to hasten the release of of my Puppy flavour with XFree86 support, ie much much better support for Intel, Neomagic and now your Matrox card. The drawback is that it is just a tad larger in size than a std Puppy release......As for ALSA I did try to get something working but the config script was giving me hassles....it would work flawlessly on my test rig running Slackware but the test would fail under Puppy, so at the moment it is, well at least for me, a work in progress. But in the meantime if you could provide the lines that alsa has added to /etc/modules.conf (I think that's the location) I will see if I can do a work around for you.