i945gm video driver problem and solution

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
Wilsonb

#16 Post by Wilsonb »

Dougal wrote:
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
To me that looks like a device node is missing...
Thanks, how do add it?

Dougal

#17 Post by Dougal »

Wilsonb wrote:
Dougal wrote:
To me that looks like a device node is missing...
Thanks, how do add it?
You'll need the mknod utility, found in the devx (or just taken from another distro...).
Then run:

Code: Select all

mknod /dev/dri/card0 -m 0666 c 226 0
I hope those parameters are correct -- I had to google to find them.

Maybe Kirk can just make it and post the file here...

You should obviously have a look in /dev and see that it's really missing.

Another possible thing: in the thread where I found that info, it was mentioned that the driver might create that node on-the-fly, when you start X -- maybe you'll need to have the mknod utility so it can do it.

Where is Kirk? He should know better than me about these things.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

kirk

#18 Post by kirk »

It's not that unusual to get that a few times. Do a lsmod and make sure you have:

intel_agp
agpgart

You might have somthing other than intel_agp, but you must have agpgart.

This looks bad:
[drm] failed to load kernel module "i915"
Do a depmod -a and try again. I just tried dri on my laptop, it works fine. But this has an ati card. I'll try 217 on my wife's laptop (which has a 945gm) with the package I posted above and let you know how it goes. Might take a few days, she uses it a bit.

Wilsonb

#19 Post by Wilsonb »

Thank you so much for your time/effort.

I'm antisapating the results of the same chipset. I had it working with previpus build 2.16. (Dri Active for 945g.

Speaking of chipset, (stupid question), does puppy keep seperate hardware profiles? Selecting a specifichardware config at boot,depending on system booting up from

Dougal

#20 Post by Dougal »

Wilsonb wrote: does puppy keep seperate hardware profiles? Selecting a specifichardware config at boot,depending on system booting up from
Yes. In /etc/X11 you'll see xorg.conf files with profile names and they'll be copied over xorg.conf when you change HW.
Al the rest is autodetected at every boot.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

kirk

#21 Post by kirk »

Wilsonb,

I tried it on my wife's laptop (computer) and dri works. Here's what you should try.

1) Make a new pup_save file. You can boot with "puppy pfix=ram" boot option from CD and then reboot, this will get you another pup_save file.

2) Copy usr folder from the 945gm-stuff.tar.bz2 I posted above to /. DO NOT use the lib folder from the 945gm-stuff.tar.bz2 package. That's only for 2.16, you should have that stuff anyway. Which brings us to step 3.

3) Make sure you have /lib/modules/2.6.21.5/kernel/drivers/char/drm/drm.ko & i810.ko (or maybe i915.ko, don't remember). If you copy a module from the zdrv, make sure you do a depmod -a.

4) Add the
Load "dri"
to your xorg.conf and restart X.

5) Test it out!

jamesbond

#22 Post by jamesbond »

Kirk,

Thanks for your tip. For the longest time I thought I couldn't get gxine to play DVD on xorg - in fact that was the advice I told a few ppl earlier. Your post allowed me to fix it - and now my Acer uses xorg (instead of Xvesa) with full acceleration and gxine plays even better than before.

cheers!
James
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]