Compliling FTDI module for Puppy 2.13

Using applications, configuring, problems
Eastern Counties

Compliling FTDI module for Puppy 2.13

#1 Post by Eastern Counties »

Would it be too much to ask somebody to compile the ftdi module from the patched 2.6.18.1 kernel, so it can be used with Puppy 2.13? I tried downloading devx_2.13.sfs so that I could try to compile it myself, but its just too big a file for my dialup connection.
Thanks in anticipation
John

TheSquire

#2 Post by TheSquire »

+1

I am a Linux noob and have been working with Puppy 2.13 for 2 days. Please be gentle...

I googled for "ftdi_sio.ko" and "2.6.18" and found an RPM for Fedora Core 6. I downloaded 15 MB, extracted the file and tried to insmod it... to no avail.

insmod ftdi_sio.ko
insmod: error inserting 'ftdi_sio.ko': -1 Invalid module format

dmesg reported:

ftdi_sio: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

So, like Eastern Counties, I'm looking for a build of ftdi_sio.ko compatible with Puppy 2.13. Thanks!

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Puppy 2.13 already contains the ftdi_sio module. If you can't modprobe it, you probably have some kind of configuration problem which prevents you from accessing the zdrv file.

Eastern Counties

#4 Post by Eastern Counties »

Where should the ftdi_sio module be? I've looked where the other usb/serial modules are and can't find it there. Once I've found it, I can always copy it into /usr/lib/modules and use it from there (this is what I have been doing in Puppy 1.07).

TheSquire

#5 Post by TheSquire »

Thanks for the reply, tempestuous.

A little more digging indicates that the ftdi_sio module is created/installed only when activated, similar to how usbserial.ko behaves.

At bootup using the Live CD (Puppy 2.13) or on my HD installed version (also Puppy 2.13), neither of those modules appears to be present.

But... after I issue commands:

modprobe usbserial
modprobe ftdi_sio

... the .ko files appear in /lib/modules/2.6.18.1/kernel/drivers/usb/serial

This is progress! Maybe this is enough for you, Eastern Counties?

Unfortunately, my software isn't able to connect to the device that dmesg says has been attached to ttyUSB0. I will do some more digging here.

Edit: My software expects the character device to be /dev/ttyUSB0, not /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 as seems to be created so I created a logical link and now my software is working!!!

(Later, I suspect some work will have to be done in modules.conf to get things to auto-detect and auto-launch, though I would be content to add the required modprobe calls to my init scripts, if need be.)

Eastern Counties

#6 Post by Eastern Counties »

Thanks for that, The Squire. Now my modem is working again (via its FTDI USB-serial adapter).

Strangely, even though both the usbserial and ftdi_sio modules appear in
/lib/modules/2.6.18.1/kernel/drivers/usb/serial, the ftdi one was still not picked up. I copied it to /usr/lib/modules and edited my rc.local file to load it on startup and now all is fine.

Thanks again
John

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Since version 2.12 Puppy holds the full set of kernel modules in a separate "zdrv" file.
Your modules are "fetched" on-demand. It's worth reading the release notes -
http://www.puppylinux.com/download/release-2.12.htm

Eastern Counties

#8 Post by Eastern Counties »

Thanks, tempestuous, seems I could have saved myself a lot of time if I had bothered to read the release notes first. I already had the 'zdrv' file on my hardrive, so that must be how it all sorted out.