MU

#46 Post by MU »

xwin starticewm

Mark

setecio

#47 Post by setecio »

MU wrote:xwin starticewm

Mark
Is there a good place to learn the most usefull commands used in Puppy, maybe 20 or 30 of the most useful ?

MU

#48 Post by MU »

http://www.puppy-linux.info/

just "xwin starticewm" you will not find there, as it is Muppy-specific.
That script is used to set up some of the programs I have thrown together, to give a (more or less) consistent desktop.

Mark

setecio

#49 Post by setecio »

Thanks, excellent page. (shell commands link at top)

New Puppy Fan

#50 Post by New Puppy Fan »

xwin starticewm

Mark
Thank you, Mark.
1. Now I'm wondering how to remove from the system tray applications: Droparea, expose2now. I'm not sure if I will ever use them and what they are for. They appear in jwm too.
2. Is it possible (and how) to delete the upper tray and move the icedock applet into the system tray at the bottom. I got use to icewm standard look with multiple windows in it.

Thanks, Mark, I really appreciate your help.

MU

#51 Post by MU »

No, the icedock applets cannot be put in the tray.

You just could disable them completely if they disturb.

Drag'n'drop area and expose:
Click on the autostart icon, that opens a folder with scripts that start them.
Delete them or create a folder backup and move them there.
Mark

lickthefrog2

Weird Rox Thing

#52 Post by lickthefrog2 »

Deleted

New Puppy Fan

#53 Post by New Puppy Fan »

Thanks, Mark.
The Droparea applet is really COOL! The only problem (I don't know the reason why) is that all of the sudden all stuff on the desktop disappear and I have to restart X again. It happens quite often. I noticed one time it was while using mplayer and trying to open SHOUT cast in Streamtuner (blank page, no stations somehow, though in other distros SHOUTcast can play everything).
Other than that Muppy is just AMAZING product! Thank you again!

MU

#54 Post by MU »

I did not notice that yet.
Maybe a problem with your graficsdriver or memory.

You could try to install with 3DCC enhanced drivers.
Or choose another color-depth.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf
replace 24 with 16.

And try to create a swap-partition with gparted, if you have none.
500 MB should be more than enough.
But I think it will be not the swap.
If memory was full, Puppy just "freezed" on a notebook I had.

Mark

New Puppy Fan

#55 Post by New Puppy Fan »

did not notice that yet.
Maybe a problem with your graficsdriver or memory.

You could try to install with 3DCC enhanced drivers.
Or choose another color-depth.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf
replace 24 with 16.

And try to create a swap-partition with gparted, if you have none.
500 MB should be more than enough.
But I think it will be not the swap.
If memory was full, Puppy just "freezed" on a notebook I had.

Mark
Hey, Mark.
I switched from Vesa to XOrg, played with depth 24 and 16. Result is the same: when I mounted a USB drive and press Unmount, all icons on the desktop disappear and I have to restartX again. This strange behavior wasn't in Puppy 211 I used previously. I have 1GB of swap partition and enough space on a HD .

lickthefrog2

#56 Post by lickthefrog2 »

MU wrote:Muppy007 is a system inheriting the speed of Puppylinux, but
I think Muppy 007 was the last Muppy, as an updated 215CE with the new SFS-features of 216 will make Muppy obsolete.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I love Muppy, but I'm also strangely fascinated by constantly updating my OS. I suppose I will start playing around with 2.15 or 2.16.

If you have any thoughts or tips about upgrading, perhaps you might share.

Anyway thank you.

lickthefrog2

JimCockfield

Thanks Mark

#57 Post by JimCockfield »

MU wrote:...Now that we have 215, there just remains 1 technical advantage of Muppy: it can mount the sfs directly from CD.
This feature just will become officially available in Puppy in version 2.16 (re-written and optimized by Barry).
[snip]

I think Muppy 007 was the last Muppy, as an updated 215CE with the new SFS-features of 216 will make Muppy obsolete.
Mark, I don't know a lot about Linux, Muppy, or Puppy. I've tried a few of the Puppy derivatives from time to time to get a better feel for them (and I really like their speed). More recently, I tried the latest Grafpup beta. I'm keeping an eye on it's progress since photography is a hobby of mine and it has newer tools for processing images compared to most distros.

But, despite my lack of experience with Puppy or any derivatives, I did have a drive crash last month and ended up using Muppy 212-006 for a couple of days while I was recovering the data from that drive (copying the sectors from the old drive to a replacement).

I have a stack of CDs sitting around from distros I've downloaded in the past, and was trying to find one that had what I needed on it (or let me install software from a live CD) and let me browse the network at the same time.

After trying numerous "rescue" CDs with a variety of tools (partimage, dd, Gparted, HDClone, g4l, PC Inspector Clone Maxx0, XXCopy, EaseUS Disk Copy, CopyR.dma, CopyWipe) and more, Muppy provided a solution.

I wanted to find a way to run ddrescue (since all of the other software to copy drives or partitions I tried refused to run, gave up after too many errors, or simply appeared to be copying when no data was saved to the destination drive). It was a badly damaged drive.

Thanks to Muppy 212-006, I figured out a way to get what I needed.

To my pleasant surprise, the driver for my rt2570 based wireless adapter was already in the distro (and I don't have a wired connection to this PC).

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that GSlapt was functional and it let me install ddrescue from the slackware repositories while running from a Muppy Live CD. Cool. I don't think this is part of the standard Puppy versions, is it?

I really didn't care where I got it (ddrescue). I just needed a way to get it and run it from a Live CD, and Muppy provided a solution via GSlapt.

I've got a screenshot of ddrescue running under Muppy here (it took about 2 days to complete the copy my drive was so badly damaged).

ddrescue was a real life saver (well, data saver anyway since it was able to copy the drive well enough to let me run recovery utilities and get the files back I needed from the crashed drive), and so was Muppy (since it let me install ddrescue from the slackware repositories from a Live CD, while letting me work and browse the internet while ddrescue was running).

Screenshot of ddrescue running under Muppy 212-006

I didn't have a newer 007 CD around. lol

Anyway, thanks for your efforts, and if you change your mind about a newer version, please start a new thread in the forums here. I'll check in from time to time and see if I spot one. After my drive crash last month, I'm a Muppy fan. :-)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#58 Post by GuestToo »

i have a ddrescue dotpup package on my dotpups page, just download and click to install ... the package should work in most versions of Puppy

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DotPups

(ddrescue ver. 1.12 ... but the latest version is 1.13)

JimCockfield

#59 Post by JimCockfield »

Wrong Program. That's dd_rescue.

I tried it (ran it for 4 days straight with very little progress. It was a badly damaged drive and taking *way* too long to be of any practical benefit in my case.

Then, I started looking for a Live CD that had both dd_rescue and dd_rhelp installed to see if it might work any better. But, I gave up on it after finding some forum posts from people that had tried both approaches (ddrescue versus dd_rescue + dd_rhelp) on the same drive and said that ddrescue was far superior.

That's when I stumbled upon a Muppy Live CD and found ddrescue in the slackware repositories. This is the one that worked. It's shown as gddrescue in some repositories (gnu ddrescue), and it's a different program compared to dd_rescue. IOW, you have to read the package descriptions to figure out which one you're installing (as you sometimes see dd_rescue referred to as ddrescue, even though it's a different program).

Much faster - no need for helper programs like dd_rhelp (it does a lot of stuff like automatic changing of block sizes when errors are encountered and more -- with no helper programs needed):

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

This is the program in the dotpup you mentioned (dd_rescue). It's much slower. I gave up on it after running it for 4 days straight trying to get a crashed drive copied (and it was only a small way into it when I quit):

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

My advise to anyone that has a badly damaged drive with loads of bad sectors... Forget any other solution (Acronis True Image, partimage, dd, Gparted, HDClone, g4l, PC Inspector Clone Maxx0, XXCopy, EaseUS Disk Copy, CopyR.dma, CopyWipe, dd_rescue).

Find a way to run ddrescue instead. It's the "cream of the crop" from my experience trying to get data back from a crashed drive (in my case, it was impact damage while it was being written to). Now, ddrescue alone didn't solve my problems (since a lot of the sectors were bad and that corrupted a lot of files).

But, I was able to get the files I needed back after running other utilities against the new drive after the copy was completed.

Remind me to backup more often. :-)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#60 Post by GuestToo »

thanks for the information ... i have not tested the dd_rescue program in the package i made, so i don't know if it works or not

bobn9lvu

#61 Post by bobn9lvu »

Two other GREAT programs are Norton Ghost to clone the original drive,
and Spinrite to recover data on the bad sectors...
Both are a MUST for computer techies :!: :!: :!:

Bob 8)
[color=blue][size=150][b]Puppy Linux - [/b][/size][/color][color=red][size=150][b]Lift your leg at Redmond.[/b][/size][/color] :P :twisted: :P

thegeekster

#62 Post by thegeekster »

JimCockfield wrote:...Much faster - no need for helper programs like dd_rhelp (it does a lot of stuff like automatic changing of block sizes when errors are encountered and more -- with no helper programs needed):

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

This is the program in the dotpup you mentioned (dd_rescue). It's much slower. I gave up on it after running it for 4 days straight trying to get a crashed drive copied (and it was only a small way into it when I quit):

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

My advise to anyone that has a badly damaged drive with loads of bad sectors... Forget any other solution (Acronis True Image, partimage, dd, Gparted, HDClone, g4l, PC Inspector Clone Maxx0, XXCopy, EaseUS Disk Copy, CopyR.dma, CopyWipe, dd_rescue).

Find a way to run ddrescue instead. It's the "cream of the crop" from my experience trying to get data back from a crashed drive (in my case, it was impact damage while it was being written to). Now, ddrescue alone didn't solve my problems (since a lot of the sectors were bad and that corrupted a lot of files).

But, I was able to get the files I needed back after running other utilities against the new drive after the copy was completed.

Remind me to backup more often. :-)
I totally agree with you about the GNU ddrescue.........It's my preferred app for raw data copying from a faulty disk.....

Although I prefer to use Kent Robotti's RIPLinuX (the uppercase "X" at the end means it uses fluxbox, while a lowercase "x" means it's a CLI version only, no X)..........This has both ddrescue and dd_rescue, as well as a ton of other apps for rescue purposes and fits on an 8cm (pocket) CD-R with plenty of room to spare, as it takes up a whopping 70+ MB of space (around 35MB for the non-X version)..... :D

It also installs easily to a 128MB pdrive using a shell script found at the website (anything larger is a waste of space ;) ).......RIPLinuX is a Slackware-based setup, running a 2.6.x kernel and is constantly updated.....

I like to use Puppy and it's littermates for mainly desktop usage, not rescue, which I can carry around with me wherever I go..... :)

mavromilos

#63 Post by mavromilos »

Goodmorning to everybody!!!

Could anyone instruct me how to install this version in my hdd.
I have tried many times to install it but there are problems
During boot, it says after the kernel uncompression something like kernel panic and try pass the init etc.

Cound anyone please give me a hint?
What do I do wrong?

I use a Celeron 450 with 398mb ram.

Thanks in advance for yourhelp.

Vaggelis,
Milos, Cyclades,
Greece

Nightowl59

Muppy HDD-Installation

#64 Post by Nightowl59 »

Hi Milos,

did you get any answers to your post??

I had the same problem installing muppy on my PC/Laptop an i figured out how to do it. Interrested or have you solved it already?

Bye
Uwe

mavromilos

#65 Post by mavromilos »

Hi Uwe,
thanks for your interest,
I managed to install it doing this
on the first question i said that i do not want all the programs to start form
the cd
then with the grub bootloader script i did the hdd install.
but the problem is that i have not installed some kde programs especially k3b that i wanted to be installed (that's why i wanted muppy appart the wine).
Anyway i doubt if next time ill manage to install it again properly as i think it happened by luck.
Could U summarize the procedure pls?

Thanks in advance
EM
Milos