Muppy 007-212

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tronkel

Icewin trayicons

#31 Post by tronkel »

Thanks Mark, that has fixed it. Would you please upload a revised script with the revisions for checking the ROX version when you have a spare moment. I know you are busy with work and Muppy - so anytime will do - not urgent :D

tronkel (Jack)
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

primalphunk

#32 Post by primalphunk »

MU wrote:ah I see, I think it the keyboard-wizard has a bug with UTF-settings.

Please type in a consolewindow:

export LANG=C
input-wizard

If it works then, I'll add it to the servicepack.
Mark
It was a little bit of a challenge finding the correct keys to type this at the console...maybe I should have just pasted each line...We all get a little smarter in retrospect... heheh

Muppy did not complain about the first line but when I typed the second one here is what was returned.

sh: input -wizard command not found

So that didn't appear to fix it for me. Do I need to be in a different directory or something? Remember...I'm still a stupid newbie so I am often oblivious to the obvious.

peace,
James

MU

#33 Post by MU »

input-wizard
not
input -wizard
Note the space you have typed before the "-".
Mark

primalphunk

#34 Post by primalphunk »

MU wrote:input-wizard
not
input -wizard
Note the space you have typed before the "-".
Mark
Actually I have tried it multiple times without the space. It's just when the error is returned to me that the shell inserts a space in it's output...

peace,
James

primalphunk

#35 Post by primalphunk »

This is my best effort to be helpful and give you a lot of feedback about my keymap issue.

I'm not familiar with azerty keyboard maps...so I previously used quite a bit of trial and error in the vain hope of finding the right keys.

Thinking that perhaps I used a -(minus in mathematics) when I should have used a -(hyphen) I decided to try your suggestion again but this time I used konsole and just did a cut and paste of your text. My results were different this time. The second command launched the kb selector gui and I was able to select us keymap. There were no Gdk errors as I experienced when simply fishing around for a solution on my own. It even seemed to have worked for a time.

I decided to logout to the command line and try xwin starticewm just to see if the changes had stuck.(Maybe I sabotaged my best efforts right there?) The keymap was unfortunately for me set back to an azerty one. I retried the commands and the dialog boxes that popped up in the kb selector gui seemed to indicate success but when the real test came...trying to type w, z, a and whatnot in a text editor it was again back to azerty.

I kept messing about with things and at times when I selected the keyboard and mouse setup tool I produced an error message like below.
(process:3466) Gdk warning **: locale not supported by Xlib
(process:3466) Gdk warning **: cannot set locale modifiers us.map" keyboard map

There were even times after rebooting that the system would pause 60 seconds with similar warnings about the keymap failing to load.

I took a look at the /etc/keymap file and it did indicate a us keymap was loaded. Later, after producing some of the Gdk error messages I listed I found something of the error messages themselves in the same text file.

peace,
James

MU

#36 Post by MU »

ok, as a workaround:

edit /etc/profile

replace
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
with
LANG=en_US

Then reboot.

Then this locale error should be gone.
I will try to check more carefully, what programs are affected by that error.

Mark

***edit*** note for me: bugreport: kppp from menu does not work:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1913#91913

**edit2**
chooselocale-bugfix:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2187#92187
**edit3**
colorselect-bugfix:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2056#92056

MU

#37 Post by MU »

updated the servicepack for 007.

Fixed:
added "grey" to icedock-colors
fixed rox-traybuttons to detect what rox is active
kppp now launches from Icewm-menu
chooselocale and input-wizard now work with UTF-8 locales.

Mark

puppyfan12

Does the Nvidia drivers in 007-212 fix NForce2 issues?

#38 Post by puppyfan12 »

Mark said there's new Nvidia drivers (in 3DCC) in this version of muppy. Does this version fix these problems I've been having with Asus A7N8X-E (nforce2 chipset) motherboard? Or possibly it's unrelated...if so could you post suggestions there?

*edit* as an after thought I moved the content for the ethernet problem I had with 006 into it's own thread so I don't clutter this one. I'd just like to know here if the 007 nvidia driver updates fix those problems.

*update Feb 12, 2007 5:44pm EST* Ignore problem mentioned above. The issue was zdrv_212.sfs was corrupt and had a 0 (zero) byte size. After copying that file from the iso, everything works as it should.
Last edited by puppyfan12 on Mon 12 Feb 2007, 22:50, edited 3 times in total.

drongo

#39 Post by drongo »

Are the links at the top of this thread still working? I downloaded eight Linux ISOs on Friday night. Two didn't produce bootable disks. One of these was Muppy. I used a different link and attempted to download Muppy again last night but the MD5 does not match (it didn't match the first time - but I assumed the iso had been updated without changing the MD5).

I'm desperate to try Muppy - it looks lovely.

MU

#40 Post by MU »

I did not change the links.
As many people use muppy, they still should work.
Cannot test myself at moment, as I'm not on ADSL any more.
Mark

dittaeva

About the error message in Adobe Reader

#41 Post by dittaeva »

If the error message that Adobe Reader gives is the same that I got when installing Adobe Reader (I haven't tested the muppy, so I can't say) then the only thing you have to do is to go to the adobe directory (/usr/Adobe/plugins or something like that) and remove the file (it's a plugin) that it is nagging about.

It seems the extension is not very important, nor are many of the others. Beware that there might be licensing issues if you redistribute it like this, though.

cosmo

Accented characters

#42 Post by cosmo »

Hi Mark

I've also a problem with french keyboard on my old Toshiba 2100cds.
I try to get the french keyboard, all work azerty okay with the fr map selection, but I have symbols instead of accented characters.
I thought locale download fr_FR will solve the problem, but no...

So today I applied the new service pack...tada! ^o^
In the locale choosing now, I have everything in double like this:
de_DE and de_DE.UTF-8, fr_FR and fr_FR.UTF-8....I downloaded a new one to try fr_FR@euro, it doesn't solve anything for accented characters...but it's not in double in the local choosing.

Thanks °°>

setecio

#43 Post by setecio »

How would you describe Muppy007 ?

Is there a page/link that lists puppy derrivatives and a description of each (its focus / reason) ?(Muppy007, Pizzapup, Teenpup, litepup etc)

MU

#44 Post by MU »

Muppy007 is a system inheriting the speed of Puppylinux, but looking more "modern" using enhanced theme-engines (Icewm, Gtk-Themeselector).
Most "every day programs" (like Office) also support the german language (but the system-tools like the wizards don't).
Though the Iso is over 400 MB, the core system remains small by default, as Muppy introduced the concept of 2 seperate SFS files in the Iso.

Only the optional software in the included inbuilt second filesystem might run slow on old computers (KDE, Gnome, Java).
I had reports that Muppy007 runs ok on computers with only 128 MB Ram.

Muppy includes many libraries and programs requested in the last year.
So you have a system that works out of the box with the most common programs.

This is different to Puppy, where a newbee might get in trouble installing all the required dependencies.

You can see Muppy as a kind of early version of Puppy 2.15CE.
215 is a bit more up to date, and even more modular, offering additional software "pre-installed" in so called SFS-files.

Now that we have 215, there just remains 1 technical advantage of Muppy: it can mount the sfs directly from CD.
This feature just will become officially available in Puppy in version 2.16 (re-written and optimized by Barry).

Pizzapup is like a small Muppy: looks modern too, has several important libraries that normal Puppy does not have by default.
It closes the "hole" between Puppy and Muppy.

I think Muppy 007 was the last Muppy, as an updated 215CE with the new SFS-features of 216 will make Muppy obsolete.

For germans, an additional german_216.sfs could be created.

Mark

New Puppy Fan

Please, help to start Muppy !

#45 Post by New Puppy Fan »

Hey, guys!
Muppy really rocks. I got into trouble: I wanted to try jwm window manager, so I ran: xwin jwm. Now how can I go back to initial boot with icewm. When I type xwin icewm there is no icedock and other stuff as it was before.
Thanks!

MU

#46 Post by MU »

xwin starticewm

Mark

setecio

#47 Post by setecio »

MU wrote:xwin starticewm

Mark
Is there a good place to learn the most usefull commands used in Puppy, maybe 20 or 30 of the most useful ?

MU

#48 Post by MU »

http://www.puppy-linux.info/

just "xwin starticewm" you will not find there, as it is Muppy-specific.
That script is used to set up some of the programs I have thrown together, to give a (more or less) consistent desktop.

Mark

setecio

#49 Post by setecio »

Thanks, excellent page. (shell commands link at top)

New Puppy Fan

#50 Post by New Puppy Fan »

xwin starticewm

Mark
Thank you, Mark.
1. Now I'm wondering how to remove from the system tray applications: Droparea, expose2now. I'm not sure if I will ever use them and what they are for. They appear in jwm too.
2. Is it possible (and how) to delete the upper tray and move the icedock applet into the system tray at the bottom. I got use to icewm standard look with multiple windows in it.

Thanks, Mark, I really appreciate your help.