Muppy 007-212

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#16 Post by Sage »

Mark - I finally got it loaded, but there are serious problems with the keyboard. Neither the option for the UK nor (save us all!) the US are responding correctly, possibly not loading properly. The numerals are only obtainable by holding down the shift key and I couldn't set my network because I couldn't find the full stop (point, period). There were a lot of strange symbol keys present, but these didn't seem to correspond to any recognisable European or Asian script. This is fairly fundamental, probably meriting an incremental version issue rather than a patch? Indeed, I cannot d/l any patches until it's fixed.
[ If you need a selection of UK keyboards, let me know how many! I may have a French one somewhere, too. ]

Otherwise it is totally brilliant and you deserve a lot of congratulations. Glad to see the TuxRacer has become de rigeur at last - apart from Solitaire, and this one I don't know why small distro writers bother with some of the other cr*p listed under their token games offerings. Waste of space in many cases.

But, but, but - once you manage to refine and debug everything, I would strongly advise that you reinstate the full install to HD option. This one really is worth it. This facility should make it viable on an even larger range of HW.

MU

#17 Post by MU »

strange, I ran it on a notebook with US-layout yesterday.
Will investigate later, must leave now.
Anyone else has this problem?
Mark

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Stranger and stranger. Seems to be some machine-specific issues, possibly associated with memory capacity? My biggest, fastest machine runs OK with everything loaded including KDE, but lesser beasts seem to give a range of different issues, including k/b mis-function, lock-ups, etc. Initial selections can give some strange behavior, too, but not reproducibly. Await the results from additional testers. But it's still terrific and rivals the major distros now.
In the meantime, it would be helpful to have an assessment of the minimum memory requirement for the full monty, please.

MU

#19 Post by MU »

I ran it on a notebook with I think 256 MB (don't have it here).
It ran fine, but I used a 500 MB swap-partition.
Older Muppy-versions freezed the computer without swap, when I ran OpenOffice.
(when the memory-bar in Icedock reached maximum).

So on low-memory machines, a swap-partition seems to be a "must".

Mark

Sage

#20 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that, Mark. In the interests of speed of testing, I loosened all the HD cradles to run the CD, so no swap. Assumed those machines had enough main memory. Perhaps not. Bigger, does, of course, bring its own penalties! Perhaps a warning is needed in the initial boot screen so that new converts don't get a bad impression?

polux

#21 Post by polux »

Im running Muppy 007 from CD in 2 laptops. One is a Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon XP2000, 500 RAM, no Hard Disk and with a US Keyboard, the other is a IBM T41 with German keyboard.

No problems with the keyboard layouts in both. Everything works Ok. :)

I love my Muppy :twisted:

jam

Muppy007 Service Packs

#22 Post by jam »

Mark,

Can't see Muppy007 service packs when using the PSI installer. I can install manually so it's no big deal, but I'm spoiled using PSI! :)
Jam

Sage

#23 Post by Sage »

Apart from laptops, which I tend to avoid, there's a simple answer to using the full version of Mark's masterpiece. Fit one older CD drive to read and boot from and fit a more modern DVD/CD-RW/DVD-RW for running, saving, watching, burning stuff. Ideally, choose an older drive made after ~1997 with a speed >x20 if you want to boot to a CD-RW/DVD-RW image, but almost anything will boot to a CD-R. Nobody wants old CD drives any more so they can be canabilised from the local skip/tip/dumpster; around 50% are likely to be still working!!

jam

VESA / Xorg Auto-Detect

#24 Post by jam »

Mark,

Would it be possible to auto-detect whether to use Xvesa or Xorg depending on the graphics card? There are problems using Xvesa with Intel chipsets, yet Xorg works just fine so I was wondering if it would be possible to revert to Xorg if an Xvesa functionality probe fails.
Jam

tronkel

Muppy 007 trayicons

#25 Post by tronkel »

Hi Mark,

Congratulations again on a great version of puppy. It is running very fast on my 400MHz processor with 192MB RAM and 500MB swapfile. Faster than Puppy 2.13. and also KDE is extremely usable for the first time ever on this PC

I wonder what I am doing wrong here with the icewin trayicons. Even if I associate an application-specific icon with the shortcuts contained in the /root/trayicons folder, they do not appear in the icewin tray even after having been refreshed using the >> and << buttons. Not an urgent problem. Have a good day! :D

Best regards

tronkel (Jack)
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

MU

#26 Post by MU »

you must right-click the ">>" button.
This opens a drag-area (right-click to close it).
Drag programs on it, then left-click on ">>" and then "<<".
Mark

primalphunk

#27 Post by primalphunk »

Looks good but like Sage I have been unable to get the correct keyboard map(US in my case) to load.

peace,
James

MU

#28 Post by MU »

ah I see, I think it the keyboard-wizard has a bug with UTF-settings.

Please type in a consolewindow:

export LANG=C
input-wizard

If it works then, I'll add it to the servicepack.
Mark

tronkel

Icewin trayicons

#29 Post by tronkel »

you must right-click the ">>" button.
This opens a drag-area (right-click to close it).
Drag programs on it, then left-click on ">>" and then "<<".
Mark
I tried what you suggested Mark, but the only application icon that appears after using the drag area and the >> and << buttons, is the generic puppy cog-wheel icon.

Is there any linux command I could use that would refresh the configuration relating to associated program icons for the traybuttons perhaps?

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Thanks

tronkel (Jack)

MU

#30 Post by MU »

ah I see, it uses the globicons from rox 1.2.

Workaround: edit:
/usr/local/MU-rox-traybuttons/resource/run-mu_rox_traybuttons

replace line 14:

Code: Select all

globicons = readfiletolist("/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons")
with:

Code: Select all

globicons = readfiletolist("/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons")
I will have to add a check, that finds out if rox1 or rox2 is activated.
Mark

tronkel

Icewin trayicons

#31 Post by tronkel »

Thanks Mark, that has fixed it. Would you please upload a revised script with the revisions for checking the ROX version when you have a spare moment. I know you are busy with work and Muppy - so anytime will do - not urgent :D

tronkel (Jack)

primalphunk

#32 Post by primalphunk »

MU wrote:ah I see, I think it the keyboard-wizard has a bug with UTF-settings.

Please type in a consolewindow:

export LANG=C
input-wizard

If it works then, I'll add it to the servicepack.
Mark
It was a little bit of a challenge finding the correct keys to type this at the console...maybe I should have just pasted each line...We all get a little smarter in retrospect... heheh

Muppy did not complain about the first line but when I typed the second one here is what was returned.

sh: input -wizard command not found

So that didn't appear to fix it for me. Do I need to be in a different directory or something? Remember...I'm still a stupid newbie so I am often oblivious to the obvious.

peace,
James

MU

#33 Post by MU »

input-wizard
not
input -wizard
Note the space you have typed before the "-".
Mark

primalphunk

#34 Post by primalphunk »

MU wrote:input-wizard
not
input -wizard
Note the space you have typed before the "-".
Mark
Actually I have tried it multiple times without the space. It's just when the error is returned to me that the shell inserts a space in it's output...

peace,
James

primalphunk

#35 Post by primalphunk »

This is my best effort to be helpful and give you a lot of feedback about my keymap issue.

I'm not familiar with azerty keyboard maps...so I previously used quite a bit of trial and error in the vain hope of finding the right keys.

Thinking that perhaps I used a -(minus in mathematics) when I should have used a -(hyphen) I decided to try your suggestion again but this time I used konsole and just did a cut and paste of your text. My results were different this time. The second command launched the kb selector gui and I was able to select us keymap. There were no Gdk errors as I experienced when simply fishing around for a solution on my own. It even seemed to have worked for a time.

I decided to logout to the command line and try xwin starticewm just to see if the changes had stuck.(Maybe I sabotaged my best efforts right there?) The keymap was unfortunately for me set back to an azerty one. I retried the commands and the dialog boxes that popped up in the kb selector gui seemed to indicate success but when the real test came...trying to type w, z, a and whatnot in a text editor it was again back to azerty.

I kept messing about with things and at times when I selected the keyboard and mouse setup tool I produced an error message like below.
(process:3466) Gdk warning **: locale not supported by Xlib
(process:3466) Gdk warning **: cannot set locale modifiers us.map" keyboard map

There were even times after rebooting that the system would pause 60 seconds with similar warnings about the keymap failing to load.

I took a look at the /etc/keymap file and it did indicate a us keymap was loaded. Later, after producing some of the Gdk error messages I listed I found something of the error messages themselves in the same text file.

peace,
James