Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 02:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Grafburn cd burner - new version 0.10.1
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 7 of 11 [151 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
mrpeabody

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 20:28    Post subject:  

here's what's happening: when I select "audio" mode, and step through the choices, when it gets to the point where it tries to burn the cd- a console-type window comes up. Almost immediately, the window disappears. So I assume it is giving me an error message, but no time to read it.

Using ^S I managed to see some of the message, but not the last few lines. It seems to be invoking cdrecord, which I had trouble with before with this same USB burner. It does recognize my h/w (model) but says: cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer. Try Linux-2.4 or Solaris. (I am running Puppy 2.14)

Funny thing is, it seems to blank the cd ok, and seems to make the iso disk ok. Do they use a different driver?

Thanks-
Scott
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 20:53    Post subject:  

No it is using the same 'driver', but cdrecord is being invoked a different way. Try this in the console and let me know what happens.
Code:
cdrecord -pad -v dev=[yourburner] -dao speed=[yourspeed] [path_to_directory]/*.wav

Replace everything in the brackets with appropriate values for your setup, ie 'dev=/dev/hdc' and 'speed=4'.

This is the command grafburn is using to burn an audio cd, which as I said is working on my machine. But cdrecord is known to be a bit flaky and has in fact been forked by the Debian developers because of various issues. If we can't get it working reliably I may add in code to use cdrdao rather than cdrecord, if it is installed. Of course it could be thatI might just have to adjust the script somewhere.

Nathan

mrpeabody

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 23:02    Post subject:  

Thanks Nathan- here's what I got:

cdrecord: Drive does not support SAO recording
cdrecord: Try -raw option
cdrecord: Illegal write mode for this drive

BTW- its an HP CD-Writer+ 8290
Nathan F

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 23:07    Post subject:  

Try this. Replace the '-dao' part of the command with '-raw' and see what that does.

Nathan

mrpeabody

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb 2007, 23:40    Post subject:  

It works! Smile
Nathan F

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb 2007, 00:03    Post subject:  

I'll test to see if it goes OK on my hardware. If that line is compatible with most hardware I will change the program to call it that way. If not I will have to either set it up in the preferences dialog or figure out a way to detect the drive type, so I can know what command to use.

Thanks for sticking with me and helping to find a solution!

Nathan

mrpeabody

PostPosted: Tue 27 Feb 2007, 20:02    Post subject:  

Cool! thanks Nathan.
plinej

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2007, 12:12    Post subject:  

Nathan I'd vote for setting it up yourself in the preferences. The burner must be old if it doesn't support disc at once.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Wed 28 Feb 2007, 14:05    Post subject:  

Duly noted, of course this situation is probably more common that you might think. What I think I might also go ahead and do is use cdrdao for this function if it is present on the system.

Currently working on porting it to gtkdialog3. I'm changing all the file/directory selector widgets from Xdialog to gtkdialog so they use the new style widget. I also added a preference to stop it opening a filer window in the temp directory when creating a new project. When I get time I will do some reading up on ElTorito, but it might not make the next release.

Nathan

Alicemurga

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar 2007, 02:38    Post subject: spam  

spam
lvds

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2007, 01:38    Post subject:  

Hi Nathan,

First of all thank you very much for Grafburn as we use it and it is a great tool !

This week i discovered what seems to be a little bug. When selecting for an ISO file to burn on a cd, i was searching for the ISO file somewhere in subdirectories in my hard drive, and i found if the ISO file is somewhere a little far away from / then grafburn crash. I admit the file was somewhere far down into subdirectories. I could reproduce the bug a few times.

It is not really blocking as i moved the ISO somewhere up near from / and everything worked fine, but i thought it would be better to report to you.

Best regards,
Laurent.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2007, 19:01    Post subject:  

Nathan,
I have a request. I wanted to use Grafburn to create an iso from a directory of files, so I clicked on "Create a data cd/dvd". But then it said that I had to copy the files to a certain directory -- unfortunately I don't have the room in that directory to do that. I really need to just choose a existing directory, which is on a mounted partition.
At that point I aborted, by clicking the window close box, which proved to be difficult, got some error messages.

I ended up using Gcombust.
Nathan F

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2007, 22:03    Post subject:  

I can see your point, in fact my wife managed to make it abundantly clear when she tried to burn a 4 gig dvd yesterday. I'll do some rethinking on how this is all going to work.

Nathan

Nathan F

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2007, 01:28    Post subject:  

Well I'm dusting off this code again and trying to add in some improvements that have been on the back burner for a while. I've added some rudimentary ability to burn audio cd's using cue or toc files, which is both faster and reduces the amount of temporary storage space required. I plan to have a go at improving data cd creation next. I want to support burning a directory to disk other than the preconfigured temp directory, as well as making it possible to just symlink files into the temp directory before creating the iso image, once again to reduce the amount of temporary space required.

I've also added some code to hopefully deal with drives that have to be set to "raw" mode rather than dao or tao when burning audio disks, which was a known bug in the last version. In order to have the cue/toc support it will be neccessary to have cdrdao installed, but I also plan to add in a check for it.

If anyone has any other features or suggestions please speak up in the next few days so I can plan accordingly.

Nathan

zigbert

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2007, 08:01    Post subject:  

if making it possible to use symlinks instead of real file, it would be nice to run Grafburn with options. for instance 'grafburn -data /tmp/searchresult'. It would make a perfect integration with Pfind (and any other script that wants to burn something). Maybe Pbcdripper could send result to Grafburn?

Sigmund
Page 7 of 11 [151 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: