3D Control Center: Graficscarddrivers

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

Hi there -

Is it just me or does the option "Install Nvidia Drivers" do nothing in 2.17.1 ?

I click the button - nothing happens.
This function is disabled in Ezpup 2.17r2 (which Tmxxine Prism uses) because at the time the Nvidia drivers were not compiled for the new kernel
Nvidia drivers are available but have not been added to 3DCC - yet
You can install nvidia drivers manually for now
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 785#135785
I click the button - nothing happens.
Nothing happening? In the Quantum realm, the act or intent alters the nature of 'Nothing'. It is very difficult to get a true 'Nothing' intentionally. :D
"Everything is possible. Nothing is unreal," as the Dimensional Traveller (Ozmanaught) said to the button . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

virtualbox

Time Travel

#17 Post by virtualbox »

Thanks to lobster for pointing this out.

Odd thing -
I have installed the recommended driver - all seemed well - 50fps in the GLtest last night.

However, this morning (after a reboot) I'm back down to 15 fps.

I also notice (possibly a seperate issue) in the Nvidia Xsrerver Settings Control Pannel (start - system - nvidia xserver settings) that under OPENGL/GLX information I have:
Direct Rendering: No

Is there any way to get direct rendering going under the Nvidia/2.17.1 combo I have here?

Reinstalling the driver, and then gl (both produce errors and the demo winges that GL is not installed - despite the fact that it is) brings me back to 50fps.

If I reboot my machine will I be back at 15fps, and if so - WHY?!

stevenbinion

#18 Post by stevenbinion »

Does this still work well with Puppy 3.01 or is there another thread for that? if not are you planning any future changes with 3DCC? It's still a great addition even as is, and you gave me a couple new things to try with it.

MU

#19 Post by MU »

There is no need for 3DCC in Puppy 3.
Puppy3 now has a DRI modules package in PetGet.
Please install that, and OpenGL and libSDL.

Then you will not need 3DCC any longer.
If you want to try propriatary NVidia or Ati drivers, use:
http://dotpups.de/puppy3/dotpups/XServer/

In Muppy008 (based on Puppy 3) 3DCC just remains to run the 3D demo, I deactivated the other points.

For Radeon 7500 to 92xx there is no more support, I was not able to compile 8.2.28 with the new Kernel.
It was very buggy anyway.
The free Radeon drivers are more reliable anyway than the crap from Ati.
If you depend on propriatary Ati-drivers for old Radeon cards, e.g. for Doom3, please install Puppy 108 or 109 CE as a gaming system, with the old 3DCC.
With Kernel 2.4, those drivers are more stable, I could play at least around 1 hour before the computer crashed and I had to reboot.

Mark