Seamonkey 1.08, Enigmail, gpg

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

Seamonkey 1.08, Enigmail, gpg

#1 Post by tronkel »

Here is a little problem that I have experienced over several Puppy releases that have Seamonkey 1.08 as the default browser.

Over the period that Puppy has included Seamonkey, I have got used to it and like it. Puppy really will have had a considerable effect on encouraging users to use Seamonkey over other browsers. This should get recognised by the Seamonkey project in some way 8-0 !

There is a problem with the Enigmail in the Puppy compile of Seamonkey 1.08. This extension crashes Seamonkey. I've tried various versions of the Enigmail extension, but none of them work.

Downloading the latest Seamonkey 1.1.2 and installing the latest official Enigmail solves the problem.

Would be nice though, if whatever is missing in the Puppy compile of Seamonkey 1.08 could be traced - or even upgraded to version1.1.2. if necessary. Seamonkey runs much faster when available as the default browser from the live CD. This would also save time and hassle by not having to install Seamonkey 1.1.2 separately from the mozilla.org website.

Some time ago I made a DotPet for gpg v1.4.7 here:
http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Encryption/

You may also need the libtermcap.so library for gpg which you can get here:
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/System_Utilit ... lities.pup

Useful Seamonkey extensions here:
http://users.skynet.be/fa258499/extensions.html

But be careful with them. Compatibility of many of them with the various Seamonkey builds is an issue here. If you get into a mess with any of them, you cannot directly uninstall the offending extension. Best thing to do if this happens, is to delete the relevant profile and start afresh with a new one. That's Seamonkey for you folks! It's a temperamental star in the world of browsers. All the best artists/performers are temperamental though! :roll:
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

PaulBx1

#2 Post by PaulBx1 »

Thanks tronkel! :) I will definitely try this. I had earlier attempted to compile enigmail but failed.

I too have gotten to like Seamonkey.

Henry

Enigmail Seamonkey 1.08 crash

#3 Post by Henry »

Thanks for pointing that out, Tronkel.

The way things are, Seamonkey seems to be the clear choice for email in Puppy, and I have finally dumped Opera to use Barry's compact Seamonkey suite implemetation. Further, using Seamonkey with Enigmail and Gnupg is the best hope for moving my business email operations to Linux and away from Eudora and windows.

I receive gpg'd credit card orders every day and need to be able to decrypt them. This works fine and has for many years in Eudora, but I have been struggling to get it to work in Puppy with Seamonkey 1.08. As you note, it crashes immediately.

I did a rough test with Seamonkey 1.1.3 and the appropriate latest Enigmail and it did not crash. But I don't have the means or skill to do a tidy installation, Seamonkey 1.08 being built-in as it is.

What I am hoping is that Barry will fix this with 1.08, or, preferably, update Seamonkey and, if necessary, the ancillary .pets to allow this less common but essential business function. Maybe for 2.18? ;-)

Henry

tronkel

Seamonkey 1.08 and Enigmail

#4 Post by tronkel »

Hi Folks,

I have also recently being putting Opera through its paces:

1. It's fast and very well designed. Nice email client
2. Has big probs with major website pages such as iGoogle though.
3. Can't link directly to gpg

So therefore I sadly had to dump it as well.

How about Firefox plus a Gmail account Henry? Firefox has an available extension called FireGPG that emulates the job that Enigmail + GPG does in Seamonkey's email client (and Thunderbird). Seems to work OK over the web using Firefox. Neat idea I think. Look at Firefox extensions page if you need to get FireGPG.

Best solution of all though would be a repaired Seamonkey 1.08 Enigmail setup (if feasible), or better still an upgrade to Seamonkey 1.1.3. for Puppy as Henry said. I wonder If Barry sees the importance of this. Hope he reads this post!

Cheers

Tronkel

Colonel Panic

E-mail clients

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

Seamonkey does the job well if you've only got a single e-mail account, but for those who, like me, have several I find nothing beats Sylpheed (not even Thunderbird).

tronkel

Multiple email accounts

#6 Post by tronkel »

Hi Colonel Panic

If you could solve the Seamonkey-Enigmail problem you might get promoted to Field Marshal ! :o

What's the difference between multiple Seamonkey/Thunderbird email accounts and Sylpheed multiple accounts?

I've also tried Sylpheed and like it a lot. It's fast.

Standard Sylpheed itself seems to be difficult to set up with encryption though. Sylpheed-Claws however does handle encryption and is also very fast but does seem unreliable in combination with GPG. It ought to ask for the signing password every time, but only seems to do so at random. Maybe it's supposed to work like that?

Other than that, it's a very good email client though.

Cheers

Tronkel

Colonel Panic

#7 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'll pass on the Enigmail problem; sorry, don't know enough.

I never found a way to set up multiple accounts with Thunderbird. I couldn't see an easy way to do it with Seamonkey either, but possibly I didn't look hard enough so I can't say that someone else won't.

PaulBx1

#8 Post by PaulBx1 »

In Seamonkey, under the menu Edit>Mail&Newsgroups Account Settings there is a button to add a new account. I have multiple accounts, it is no big deal. I imagine it is similar in Thunderbird.

Sylpheed may well be a nice email client, but I doubt Barry is going there. I suggest we all lobby him to update Seamonkey, so we can have Enigmail. :)

Colonel Panic

#9 Post by Colonel Panic »

Fair enough Paul, and thanks for the info for anyone wanting to set up multiple accounts in Seamonkey.

There's a dotpup for Sylpheed anyway so I'm not too worried if it isn't included in the "standard" Puppy.

Henry

#10 Post by Henry »

Hello, Tronkel, and others,

Just wanted to say that I installed the latest Seamonkey 1.1.4 using the instructions here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16899

and was able to install the latest Enigmail and gnupg and transfer my old keys. Decrypting credit card data works great. One more step toward moving my business to linux.

I do hope Barry upgrades Seamonkey, since the old version 1.08 takes up a lot of space. Also doesn't work with gnupg!

Henry