Another bit of strange WG111v2 behavour.

GeoffS

Another bit of strange WG111v2 behavour.

#1 Post by GeoffS »

I may be wrong ascribing this to the WG111 but it is a start.

I use ndiswrapper and a small script (see below) to connect to my router/access point (a LinkSys WRT546) which in turn is connected to a Motorola cable modem. It takes a long time (up to 5 minutes) for dhcpd to provide an address. :( I seem to be able to speed this by starting Rutil or WAG and doing scans. It doesn't matter whether the router has been just been turned on or been on for hours.

Then for the really strange bit.

Over Christmas I took the WRT546 to my sister's to convince her and her husband that they needed a similar device - that worked. :D
The only difference from here was that the WRT546 was connected to an ADSL modem. I used this computer with the same setup, I did not change anything. It connected IMMEDIATELY every time. :?

Can anybody suggest a reason?

My script follows
## Home1
echo
## Following code now done in rc.local
## Load the driver
## modprobe pcmf502rd
##modprobe ndiswrapper

if [ -e /etc/dhcpc/*.pid ] ; then
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
fi
iwconfig wlan0 essid Home1 key xxxx mode Managed
sleep 3

##dhcpcd wlan0
dhcpcd -t 60 -h puppypc -d wlan0
exit
Cheers
Geoff
Puppy 2.12 frugal install.
Thinkpad 600E

SnowDog

#2 Post by SnowDog »

I can't speak to the ADSL/Cable bit, as I am presently using dial-up.
However, I will get satellite (semi-high speed) early next week and look forward to seeing if it makes any difference with these adapters.

I intend to connect the sat modem directly to my linksys (dd-wrt) which is currently set up as an AP, behind an ipcop router box.

I was thinking that it may have had to do with the dual set-up (router and AP) that I have going on, but it seems many people are having similar troubles with these USB adapters, so I look forward to eventually pinpointing the problems.
I really shouldn't waste so much time and just go buy some proper adapters, but I have a hard time letting go of this stuff until I find a definitive answer.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

GeoffS

#3 Post by GeoffS »

AND just to end it all - I recently became aware that the WG111 was connecting immediately. Now, I don't know for how long it has been doing this (could be a couple of weeks) but I can think of nothing that I've done to either the router or this computer that should have caused a change. :? :?
Geoff

SnowDog

#4 Post by SnowDog »

Hey Geoff,
Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble with that adapter.
I experienced similar behavior from 12 (yep twelve) different WG111v2's.

I just had to keep trying all of them to see if one was possibly different from the rest.
If it's any consolation though, I did try the same adapter under many different linux's with the same or similar results. Since none was significantly different, I gave up.

O.T. part:
I've been absent from these forums for some time now; partly for personal reasons, but mostly because I finally had to force myself to re-examine this whole idea of trying to promote puppy (linux), as an OEM installed (or even a free option) on machines I sell, because of these type of hardware (and for puppy in particular), licensing issues.
But... the licensing part "appears" to have been settled: Cheers to Mark South's persistence and Barry's good nature, for that outcome as seen here: http://www.puppyos.net/news/comments.ph ... 416-055722
Of course, this pertains to more than just puppy and more than most other linux based distros, because it's the hardware vendors who are at fault mostly.
I hope the day soon comes when we can put something like puppy, into production without having to worry about not being able (or at least not easily able), to support the masses and all the cheap proprietary hardware being sold.

Cheers
P.S. and also kinda O.T.
I finally found a D-Link G122 Rev "b", which I believe one can compile drivers for, but I haven't had time to find out yet.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

laptopnewbee

#5 Post by laptopnewbee »

this may be way out of date, but i'm just throwing in this comment to this thread. under the "other" os my wg111v2 usb stick sometimes doesn't get an ip as fast as it usually does, i fix the issue by having the software redo the connection.

well back to research as i'm trying to get my wg111v2 stick to work with puppy.
so much to learn, so late a start.