GUI Dotpup for Icewin configuration

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

GUI Dotpup for Icewin configuration

#1 Post by tronkel »

As requested by WhoDo here is a GUI version of the recent text-based routine that I uploaded last week.

It is also an all C++ program developed in FLTK as suggested by Nathan.
The dotpup will automatically install to /root/.icewm which is the default location for Icewin. Make sure that whatever folder you decide to use for the executable also contains the Icewin preferences file (called "preferences").

At 226k the GUI version is somewhat larger than the 47k or so of the text-based version, so the guys developing Puppy 2.15CE can decide whether the extra size overhead can be justified. The same main algorithms are used in either version. FLTK statically links to the executable, hence the somewhat increased size.

FLTK itself is very interesting. It is a very light, powerful and complete C++ development system and could be ideal for say a "programmers" version of Puppy. Might even be very good to include in 2.15CE itself.

Dotpup is attached here.

PS have replaced the original dotpup with an improved version attached here. Screen update can now show the toggled state and original settings can be restored.

Code is also attached.
Attachments
icewinconfig.pup
(84.6 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
icewincodegui.zip
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Last edited by tronkel on Fri 16 Mar 2007, 08:51, edited 9 times in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

the default location for Icewm configuration files (keys, preferences, menus, themes, etc etc) would be /usr/local/share/icewm/ ... files in /usr are in the pup_xxx.sfs file, and therefore is in ram, and does not take up space in the pup_save file

the files in /usr can be modified, but the files would probably be copied to $HOME (/root) and then modified

there are other applications that assume that the preferences and menu files are in /root/.icewm/, like fixmenus, and Puppy comes with a default icewm menu file

vovchik

#3 Post by vovchik »

Dear icewm users,

I know most of you know this, but there is a reasonable editor that you can use to customize your icewm menus. The program works well, and I have been using it for at least a year. The authors' URL is:

http://wolfpack.twu.net/MenuEditor/

It compiles fine under puppy 2.10 with MU's devx package.

Incidentally, the same programmers also coded the great iv graphics viewer and the file manager Endeavour2. The latest version of iv also compiled fine once I installed the livendeavour2-dev package for Debian. The version I had in my puppy was ancient - 0.34, I think - and the new one is 2.14. Apart from adding ~500 k to the binary, I don't know what else it does better...but it is, in any event, newer.

With kind regards,
vovchik