Pizzapup 3.0 BETA 3, 2, & 1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Pizzasgood

Pizzapup 3.0 BETA 3, 2, & 1

#1 Post by Pizzasgood »

NOTE: BETA-3 is now uploaded. Use that.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2729#92729

pizzapup-3.0-beta.iso
MD5 Sum

NOTE: uses pza_save.3fs and pza_212.sfs. It is compatible with devx_212.sfs.

This is a beta. The features list is frozen, most are finished, and it looks nice. It's about 93 MB this time, but it includes gmplayer, some skins, alternate wallpapers, and some other stuff.

Highlights of Pizzapup 3.0: Encryption, Firefox 2.0.0.1, XDG menus, graphical improvements, (G)Mplayer, XMMS, Rox 2.5, and IceWM.

I can't remember all the changes I've made, and going over them in detail would be way to time-consuming. I'll just post the finished part of my to-do list and anything that needs explanation can be asked (the unfinished part consists of stuff like "bugtest", "fine-tune", etc.)
  • + IceWM
    + several IceWM themes (not many though)
    + defaults changer
    + h3v (a13)
    + remove Dillo
    + Firefox 2.0
    + default bookmarks
    + Configure Firefox to zoom in on images and have the old tab settings
    + Rox 2.5
    + sync backgrounds
    + do a grepsed to change all instances of pup_save to pza_save
    + Use pza_xxx.sfs and pza_save.3fs
    + load encrypted save-files
    + option to use encryption on reboot
    + getdir
    + Gtklist04MU
    + MU-Gtktheme changer
    + nicer gtk themes
    + wizard for making new save-files (psuedo-multiuser)
    + wizard for encrypting/decrypting save-files
    + XMMS
    + XMMS skins
    + Mplayer
    + Remove Gxine
    + set runaction on audio (except midi) to defaultaudioplayer
    + set runaction on video to defaultvideoplayer
    + Flash for Firefox
    + Zmixer
    + remove xtmix
    + mod "bad restart" notice, use dialog instead
    + missingmod fix!!!!!!!!
    + remove auto-stuff in gaim
    + fix universal installer
    + fix remaster script
    + set up multiple folder colors
    + better colors in rxvt
    + Upgrade Geany to 0.10
    + Mplayer gui
    + SDL (gmplayer needed it)
    + Fix icewm themes
    + nice wallpaper
    + logo
    + more themes (not many more though)
    + XDG menu system
    + Add .desktop entries for apps
    + remove extra gtk-theme menu item
    + remove dillo menu item
    + Include 3DCC (no drivers though)
    + nice cursor
    + fix inkscapelite-gtk bug
    + gaim .desktop entry
    + nice icons
    + fix desktop icons

Issues I'm already aware of:
  • Some menu-entries have duplicates
  • Some menu-entries have the old icons that overwrote the nice ones I added because their package contained it instead of being in the root-skeleton package.
Potential areas of difficulty:
  • I think I took care of all the scripts that care about the pup_ -> pza_ change, but I may have missed one or made a typo.
  • I replaced many of the .xpm mini-icons with .png icons. So far everything seems hunky dory, but there could still be problems.
  • I changed the defaults in XMMS and Mplayer to use alsa rather than OSS, which allows multiple things to use the audio. So you can watch eight movies and listen to music at the same time. I don't know if that will cause problems with some cards or not. Let me know if you have problems.
  • I converted the menu-system to XDG, so there may be missing menu items. Let me know if you notice any.
If you find a bug, please compare it to the behavior of Puppy 2.12. General Puppy problems are better discussed in general areas, as more help will appear. If you know the fix to such a problem, feel free to submit it. Chances are that unless it's small it won't make it in this version, but I'll find room for it in the next one.

If you haven't read the thread for the alpha and want to know more about this version of Pizzapup, you might want to do that first. It has some information about how I changed the filenames and stuff. That way I won't have to repeat myself ;)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13896

Have fun!
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Fri 26 Jan 2007, 21:07, edited 5 times in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Some not-so obvious features of this one that I should probably mention are as follows:

Right-click white-space in Rox window, got to options, then the types tab. There is a dropdown box to change icon-themes. I included different colors for the folder icons, so if you don't like orange there are alternatives.

I slightly improved the appearence of the Fbx and Gorilla IceWM themes, and improved the "snap-ability" of the Fbx one so it is only four pixels off rather than seven. Due to the nature of the theme and how IceWM handles it, I don't believe there is anything else I can do to improve that problem, and it only applies to the top border.

Both XMMS and Mplayer have a theme or three extra, though for XMMS it's mainly a color-change from orange text to blue.

There are a couple other wallpapers included in /usr/share/backgrounds, the default location for the wallpaper changer.

There is a variety of GTK themes. Some are the basic ones that come with Puppy, and others are some nicer ones using the fancy but slightly slower smooth-engine. It uses MU's theme-chooser.

The normal message when you do a hard-reboot has been modified to use a dialog instead, making it slightly more obvious how to get back in.

There is a save-file wizard that lets you encrypt, decrypt, and create new save-files from within Puppy.

There is a defaults-wizard that lets you change the default applications.

3DCC is included. You still need an internet connection to run it because I didn't include the many drivers you can use.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

:) Congratulations have added it to the wiki news

In your first post in this thread the wording says alpha (but it links OK to the beta) - you might like to edit as it is a little confusing . . .

Certainly a very good looking Puppy and therefore pleasing to use (based on the alpha)

I really look forward to Flash 9 for Linux (expected about March 2007)

Anyway I hope you gets lot of feedback (please everyone test and try - it might suit you just right)
I think a lot of people will appreciate your efforts - I notice you already have a free Pizza offer from Italy :)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 05 Jan 2007, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#4 Post by MU »

Nice, I think it matches right in the middle of Puppy and Muppy.

Litepup and Murga-Puppy:
reduced in size as far as possible
Puppy:
optimized for older computers, 100% original
PizzaPup:
optimized for older computers, but including the most important addons for "luxury" usage.
Muppy and also Rudy: blown up Puppys with addons needed only by a limited amount of users with newer computers.

And in addition of course all those specialized versions like for education/grafics.

This encourages me in blowing up Muppy even a bit more (add KDE), as now with PizzaPup I have to take less care to serve also smaller computers..

Mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

8)

I am running it now Mark - the encryption - some people will LUV that :)
It does feel very luxurious. Will the final release be based on 2.13? It has a very good feel to it. Highly recommended even at this Beta stage.

I would remind you of these HTML code pages (HTML is between "" and "")
using something like this as an offline page is very effective
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/IntroMenu
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MainSoftware

Let me know if you need help with customisation
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 05 Jan 2007, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Rickrandom

#6 Post by Rickrandom »

Dumb question:

I've got a frugal install of 2.12 beta2 (along with some other Puppies), so have a zdrv_212.sfs file in my C: drive.

Do I need to use the zdrv file that came with the PizzaPup or can I just keep the original?

Pizzasgood

#7 Post by Pizzasgood »

I think the original should work. They should be identical, and if not, at least compatible with either.

Lob, thanks. I copied and pasted the alpha link to save typing, but forgot to change the part outside the URL. :roll:

No, 3.0 won't be based on 2.13. I wasn't expecting 2.13 for another week, and won't even download it until I get back to campus on Sunday, at the earliest. Version 3.1 will be based on whatever the current Puppy at that time is though. I don't know when I'll start work on that, as I need to take time out next week for starting new classes. I don't yet know how much free-time I'll have this semester compared to last semester.

MU, yes, that's what I was thinking. Stick it in the middle, with better looks and some more functionality, but under 100MB.

I forgot to mention that this has a different cursor (yellowdot). I had to add a couple small library files from the developer addon to make it work, and I omitted the changer because I only added the one cursor. It can be disabled or changed inside /root/.icons. The symlink "default" points to the cursor to use, so more can be added manually, or you can install MU's X-cursors packages. If you remove it, it should go back to the simple black one.

Rickrandom

#8 Post by Rickrandom »

I get :

Code: Select all

error, cannot find Puppy on 'idehd' boot media,

PUPMODE=1 PDEV1=

Exited to initial-ramdisk (/dev/ram0) commandline...

(the Linux-guru can now debug, 'e3' editor is available)
or words to that effect, same when booting with either zdrv file. This seems to be at approximately the stage when it would usually ask which pup_save file I want to use.

Another thread suggested bad download/bad burn. I checked the download with md5 sum - OK, and then used isobuster (in Windows) to get the files so didn't even burn a CD, then edited the menu.lst file to add PizzaPup to the other pups I can boot. My new menu.lst entry was just a straight copy of the previous entries for 2.10, 2.2b and 2.13b, just editing the folder name. The boot parameters are unchanged.

Any suggestions? Could there be some confusion because there is an original 212 file alongside the pza_212.sfs file, or perhaps the pup_save files are confusing the issue.

My own suggestion is to stop being so mean with my money and go and buy some more blank CDs, but the shops aren't open yet.

Sit Heel Speak

#9 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Perhaps a look at your menu.lst would reveal clues...
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 11 Jan 2007, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

Rickrandom

#10 Post by Rickrandom »

Doh!

I was being a muppet. It was the upper case vs.lower case issue from a few months ago. I thought that was fixed, but changing the files to lower case resulted in it booting fine.

It looks very slick, but I couldn't immediately get the wireless working, so I'm back in 2.12b to post this. Then I'll have a closer look at PizzaPup. (BTW, is there some Freudian significance that I keep typing PizzaPub, notPizzaPup?)

Interestingly, the little yellow dot on the cursor is showing here in 2.12b along with a semi-transparent text insert cursor (don't know what to call it). I thought all the settings were isolated within one pup_save file. Is there some bleed / crosstalk from one to another? If so, this would be a bad thing.....

Edit: I've got the wireless working, so posting from PizzaPup now.
Last edited by Rickrandom on Sat 06 Jan 2007, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

#11 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Rickrandom wrote:Is there some bleed / crosstalk from one to another?
(edited --superfluous)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 11 Jan 2007, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.

Rickrandom

#12 Post by Rickrandom »

Curiouser and curiouser...

I'm in 2.12 after a power off, not just a reboot, and have the yellow dot pointer cursor and the shadowed semi-transparent "I" text insert cursor. When I click on a link (in Firefox) I get the old skinny solid black pointer and the wristwatch(?) timer while the link opens, then back to the yellow dot pointer.

If I boot 2.12 with no save file I get the old cursor.

I have booted 10 or so times this morning, to and fro between 2.12 with a save, 2.12 without a save, and PizzaPup, with warm reboots and full power off, and I have rather lost the plot, but I think I had PizzaPup with the 2.12 cursor at one stage!

I tried Muppy a few days ago, again a frugal install, and I have a feeling that there is some brief screen message with 2.12 just before X starts that says something about Muppy, but I may be misreading it in the moment it's on screen.

It might be that I've done something dumb (nothing new there) especially as I have so many files on my hard drive, and I've had to rename some to allow booting with different versions based on the same core, but I just don't know where to look or what to look for.

I don't want people to waste their time looking for a bug when it might all be my own stupid fault.

Sit Heel Speak

#13 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Well, you can always apply Pizzasgood's simple fix, above, and see what happens.

Pizzasgood

#14 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, all I know is that I don't know much. I do have one idea. Puppy can load files that end in .sfs as extra modules, like it does with devx_xxx.sfs. I don't know what string it searches for, but if it's something like *<version>.sfs, it could be picking up the pza_212.sfs file. Rename pza_212.sfs to pza_212.sfs0 and see if it Puppy still does it.

Also, when in Puppy, try looking at /root/.icons. If there is a directory named default, then something similar to the above situation is happening. If there isn't, then something strange is going on.

I'm going to go do some experiments on my end to see what I can come up with.

Sit Heel Speak

#15 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

If I run Puppy 1.08r1, and then 2.13 (both being frugal installs to the first hard disk), then just before the 2.13 desktop comes up there is briefly flashed on-screen a degraded view of the 1.08r1 desktop--sometimes with so much visual static as to be almost unrecognizeable, sometimes replicated in four quadrants, et cetera. The only file the two distros share, AFAIK, is the swap file. I guess 2.13 at startup is reading display info from the swap file and is attempting to show it. Is it possible that Puppy is taking Rickrandom's cursor information from his swap space, assuming he has one?
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Thu 11 Jan 2007, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

I don't know the exact format Puppy looks for, but it looks like *<version>.sfs, with the execption of pup_<version>.sfs, which should already be mounted. I don't know if there can be anything between <version> and .sfs yet.

That means that if you run Puppy 2.12 with Pizzapup (which is based on 2.12) it will mount pza_212.sfs also. In addition, I must have missed the exception part in Pizzapup, because it mounts pza_212.sfs twice (it "should" mount pup_212.sfs instead of pza_212.sfs again). With any other version of Puppy, there would be no problem.

I guess I'll crank up the internal version to 3.00. That makes more sense anyway, I guess. I'll still have to find a better solution in the future though. Also, this means that the zdrv_212.sfs won't be detected, but since it will be identical to zdrv_300.sfs, if you have it installed on a linux partition you could probably symlink it to save the 16 MB. Don't quote me on that though, I've never tried mounting through a symlink.

EDIT: Okay, I have my local version at version 300, and I added ^pza to the exceptions list. I left ^pup in there too, so the reverse problem, loading up a pup_xxx.sfs file in Pizzapup, doesn't happen.

This also means that devx_212.sfs needs to be renamed to devx_300.sfs to work with Pizzapup, but symlinks do work.

I've also improved the icons in the IceWM quick-launch-toolbar thing, along with removing some more duplicate menu entries.

cagliostro

Just what I'm looking for

#17 Post by cagliostro »

This has just the features many people want. I noticed in the forum that people often ask for a Firefox puppy. In the poll about 40% said they would use Firefox, about 24% wanted Opera, and only 16% were happy using Seamonkey (the rest had other browsers as their number one choice).

There is a huge difference between Puppy 2.12 and 2.13 so I will have to wait for your 3.1 release. My computer came with ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, and this is a nightmare. Previously I had to run the 3D Control Center to be able to use Puppy at all. With Puppy 2.13 various resolutions and refresh rates are now automatically available, for the first time.

I just installed Puppy 2.13 two days ago, and have installed Firefox 2.0.0.1, but now need to get Flash, and Icewm, etc. etc. Your release has a much better appearance than what I can get. And it already has Mplayer. There is no way I could duplicate what you are doing.

I tried a CD of your Beta. I changed the global font setting to 96 and then clicked on "restart Icewm" so the setting would take effect. Nothing happened. This worked on my computer when I restarted JWM.

I ran Firefox. I used the middle mouse button to open links in Tabs. There should be a small "x" button in each tab, to allow closing it. Your Firefox says it is 2.0.0.1, the same as the dotpup that I have just installed, but the little close Tab button is missing.

(Aside: I don't know why people claim Opera is faster. I tested Firefox and got good initial speed bursts on downloads, gradually subsiding to 148 KB/sec. With Opera, in the same download tests, there was no initial speed burst. It started out at 100 KB/sec, and gradually came up to 136 KB/sec and stayed there. In every test I performed Opera never came close to the download speed of Firefox. But users keep insisting that Opera is the fastest.)

Anyway I really look forward to your final relase

Rickrandom

#18 Post by Rickrandom »

Sorry if I haven't replied for a couple of days - I haven't been sulking, honest. I couldn't get to this forum - still don't know why.

As I have 768MB RAM, I assume it won't use the swap, but what do I know?

Anyway, I will try the renaming and some more evaluation over the next couple of days. Today was work and so is tomorrow. :(

Pizzasgood

#19 Post by Pizzasgood »

I ran Firefox. I used the middle mouse button to open links in Tabs. There should be a small "x" button in each tab, to allow closing it. Your Firefox says it is 2.0.0.1, the same as the dotpup that I have just installed, but the little close Tab button is missing.
That was intentional. I don't like the new style, because I have this habit of accumulating many many tabs. I have 19 right now, and I've counted fifty at times. The X button on them increases the minimum width (which I also cut down a bunch aside from removing the X). Also, you'd have to move the mouse to wherever the particular tab you're on is to get to the x. With it over to the right, you can always go to the same place, so you don't have to think as much.

One thing that might appear counter-intuitive is that you can't close other tabs, but that isn't true. You can still close any tab from the tab itself by middle-clicking.

To put it back, type about:config in the address bar. There is a setting in there that looks something like "browser.tabs.close". It is set to "3". If you double click it, you can change it back to "1", which is the normal behavior.

As for Opera, I believe they are referring to the running speed, not the download speed. As in how long it takes to start, to respond to a button press, or to render a page. The download speed is mostly dependent on outside factors. Opera is also supposed to be less hardware-intensive, so the speed factor would be much more evident on an older computer. I haven't tested any of this for myself yet. Incidentally, I'm considering using Opera rather than Firefox in a version or two of Pizzapup. It depends on if I can configure it to work how I want. I have no qualms about whether it's closed or open, or whether people have heard about it. The only things that matter to me beside size are whether it feels good and runs fast. So far it never felt right, but I never did any serious configuring yet either.

Fonts: I've never messed with them before. I'll give it a go after I finish reading through the forum. Maybe you need to restart X itself rather than just IceWM.

When I make a version based on 2.13 or higher depends on my time and stress. I'm starting a fresh semester at college, and I'm taking more classes than I did last semester. Also, I've never intended to keep up with Barry. If I did that, all I wouldn't have time left over for new things. My plan is to keep my local version semi up-to-date, and to add packages to it whenever I create them. After enough stuff accumulates, I'll finish any loose ends and make a new version. Right now, my best guess for a date on 3.1 would be sometime after Puppy 2.14, but that's just speculation.

Also, waiting gives time for people to solve any bugs that Barry introduces with a new version.

@Rickrandom: See my last post. Puppy is loading pza_212.sfs as an extra .sfs module. I'm changing my internal version to 3.00, so the name will be pza_300.sfs and Puppy won't have problems with it until Barry makes version 3.00. By then either Puppy will use a different method of name searching or I'll have some kind of workaround.

Pizzasgood

#20 Post by Pizzasgood »

The fonts work for me when I restart X.

Also, Xorg isn't dependent on Puppy. It's controlled by /etc/X11/xorg.conf. If you configure it in Puppy 2.13, you should be able to copy that file into Pizzapup. I can't guarantee that will work, but it might. Make sure that you don't have graphics drivers installed in one and not the other first though, or there will be problems.