First Impressions of 1.09CE

News, happenings
tronkel

First Impressions of 1.09CE

#1 Post by tronkel »

Yes, this version demonstrates that Puppy Linux (like all other operating systems) in order to gain acceptance and take-up, really need sto be a powerful cocktail of innovative features plus very polished appearance.

This version seems to have all of that. Barry Kauler's engineering inventiveness + polish from the helpers = an extremely smart system. It's very nice. This will make a lot of users ditch MS Windows (and other systems) for sure. It certailnly now has the sort of capability where users will move over to it as their main OS.

It generally seems very stable on my Cyrix 333Mhz + 64 MB RAM system. Has a 100MB swap-file. Firefox always seems to have a speed issue at times on this system but I think that in this version where it runs entirely in RAM, it is just about usable in this respect.

There is a minor problem with exiting to a prompt from the shut-down menu. If it has been doing a lot of paging to hard-disk the system does not get as far as the prompt but halts with the desktop background still showing and with a frozen mouse. Typing "reboot" or "xwin" from the keyboard does work though, even though the text output for these command remains "hidden" behond the desktop backround. This may be a problem of insufficient RAM on my system since similar or worse problems existed when I was testing the alpha versions of Puppy2.

Now back to playing with 1.09CE! :)
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer