Pizzapup 3.0 BETA 3, 2, & 1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Pizzasgood

#136 Post by Pizzasgood »

Okay. Try the "logout" option. It should kick out into the command-prompt. If that doesn't work try control-alt-backspace and let me know. From the command-prompt, try the 'reboot' or 'poweroff' commands.

I can't think of what would cause it, though. I'll go review the changes I made. Maybe I'll notice something.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

can8v

#137 Post by can8v »

Pizzasgood wrote:Okay. Try the "logout" option. It should kick out into the command-prompt. If that doesn't work try control-alt-backspace and let me know. From the command-prompt, try the 'reboot' or 'poweroff' commands.

I can't think of what would cause it, though. I'll go review the changes I made. Maybe I'll notice something.
I tried logging out first and then using poweroff and reboot and and also tried using poweroff and reboot directly from the menu.

Unfortunately I can no longer produce the problem. Of course I am no longer running a pristine system. Right before I read your post I used the 3DCC wizard to install all of the components in that Wizard:
DRM kernel modules
Radeon driver for my Radeon 7500
OpenGL
and re-installed the SDL library.

I just thought of something I can stick the live CD in and choose pfix=ram and that should get me a pristine install, right?
I will try that and post right back.

***EDIT***
Okay I retested using the live CD and pfix=ram and I came up with the following results.
system shuts down normally using the following methods:
Logout then type "poweroff" or "reboot".
The system hangs using the following shutdown methods:
Selecting either "shutdown" or "reboot" from the logout menu in iceWM.
When using the reboot option from the iceWM menu it hangs as I described above (only the desktop wallpaper is displayed and no error message is presented).
When using the shutdown option from the iceWM menu it seems to get one step farther in that the desktop wallpaper is replaced with a black screen, but no other evidence of the logout or shutdown script running is evident as no text whatever is presented, just the black screen.

I am sorry that I cannot report any helpful error messages or other clues, but none are presented to me and I really don't know how to test more thoroughly. The good news is that PsyBaba should be able use this wonderful puplet in Xorg, by simply logging out then typing "poweroff" or "reboot" until you manage to figure out the cause of the problem, or come out with a newer release that doesn't present the problem.

Thanks again for this great puplet the more I use it the more I love it.

One last thought for PsyBaba I am not sure why I can no longer reproduce this problem from my regular install, but I have the notion that it is because I installed the correct driver for my video card so I can play some games. Perhaps if you also use the 3DCC wizard in the setup option on the iceWM menu to install the driver for your card you will also fix the problem, then you could shutdown or reboot however, you like.

CAn8v
Until the nets are full
http://webwitness.net

Pizzasgood

#138 Post by Pizzasgood »

Hmm... I think you're right, probably a driver issue. Otherwise Xvesa would probably have the same problem, if it were some script. If it were a generic Xorg problem I'd have it, so it's probably something related to hardware.

As far as I can tell, the problem is that X isn't being killed properly. Normally, rebooting or shutting down runs wmreboot or wmpoweroff. Those save either "reboot" or "poweroff" in a file. Then it kills X. When X dies, control reverts to the xwin script (which started X when booting). It then reads the file to decide whether to shut down, reboot, or restart X.

I was going to suggest a simple script that would kill X then reboot, but it turns out that's exactly what Puppy already does, so it wouldn't help :roll:

Oh, by the way: I've already uploaded RC1, just waiting for MU to move it so it can be downloaded. There are some slight changes since Beta-3. I set Xorg to not catch control-alt-delete, which means IceWM will instead. So rather than immediately reboot, IceWM presents you with options to cancel, log-out, shutdown, or reboot. Much nicer. I don't think I can do that for Xvesa though.

I also added two themes for Xmms and changed the default. I made the 3DCC entry more descriptive too. I updated graphburn to 0.7, and I modified boot.msg in the iso to say Pizzapup rather than Puppy.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

PsyBaba

#139 Post by PsyBaba »

:) A so quick response makes me wishful to help. So...

I have tried out Puppy 2.12 zdrv using xorg and it worked perfectly with both shutdown and reboot. So it seems the problem is somewhere else.

Then I tried Pizzapup again and here are the results:
1. When choosing reboot or shutdown from the menu, the icons and taskbar dissappear, the wallpaper remains with a frozen mouse pointer and nothing happens (sometimes I get also a black screen soon after).
2. Choosing Log out from the menu or hitting ctrl+alt+backspace first and then typing poweroff or restart works!
3. Using this method it finnaly asks me to save pza_save.3fs to disk.
4. And now SURPRISE! Once Pizzapup loads with pza_save.3fs the bug is gone! Now it reboots or shuts down perfectly. And I can start using this puplet, finnaly :) (I didn't believe that was the solution so I deleted pza_save.3fs file and tried once again saving it to hard disk and again the bug was gone)

So, shutting down or rebooting now again makes the icons and menu dissapear, with a wallpaper and a frozen mousepointer, but at least in the background it does what it should.

PsyBaba

#140 Post by PsyBaba »

Oh, by the way: I've already uploaded RC1, just waiting for MU to move it so it can be downloaded. There are some slight changes since Beta-3. I set Xorg to not catch control-alt-delete, which means IceWM will instead. So rather than immediately reboot, IceWM presents you with options to cancel, log-out, shutdown, or reboot. Much nicer. I don't think I can do that for Xvesa though.
I don't know is this could be relevant, but control-alt-delete presents me the above described options already in beta 3.00 (so xorg catches nothing??? - could this be the problem of the hang when shutting down?)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#141 Post by GuestToo »

if you open an rxvt console window, what happens if you type this:

killall X

or maybe, so you can see the error messages later:

killall X 2> /root/killall.txt

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#142 Post by GuestToo »

I don't think I can do that for Xvesa though.
you could disable ctrl+alt+del in /etc/inittab, that would work with Xvesa too

personally, i like being able to kill X with ctrl+alt+backspace, and to be able to force a reboot with ctrl+alt+del, but i don't think you can have that and the Icewm window

PsyBaba, does your /etc/inittab look normal? it should have line something like this in it:

::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

if that line is in /etc/init, your machine should reboot if you press ctrl+alt+del

MU

#143 Post by MU »

Pizzasgood

#144 Post by Pizzasgood »

Great. Discussion on Beta-3 and earlier should stay here if it continues. RC-1 may be discussed here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15374

PsyBaba

#145 Post by PsyBaba »

Opening rxvt console window and typing killall X kills the xwindows session normally. I have checked the file /etc/inittab and it contained the ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot string - but presising ctrl+alt+del still doesn't reboot my pc (not that I'm complaining about this - I prefer the menu that pups up :wink: )

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#146 Post by GuestToo »

typing killall X kills the xwindows session normally]
it would have been nice if there had been some sort of error message ... if you look in wmreboot or wmpoweroff, about all the scripts do is something like this:

echo -n "poweroff" > /tmp/wmexitmode.txt
killall X

that's about all they do ... you wouldn't think that there would be problems with the scripts

if killall X works, does typing wmreboot or wmpoweroff work properly? ... all the menu does is call these scripts

do you use JWM? i notice the menu does this:

exec /usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot
and
exec /usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff

does it work any better if you take out the exec and change it to:

/usr/X11R7/bin/wmreboot
and
/usr/X11R7/bin/wmpoweroff

one thing that might be happening, is that "killall X" may start to kill X, but an application that was started as a sub process of X is hanging, which prevents X from exiting ... but the wmreboot script might have already been killed, if the system thinks of it as a sub process of the WM which is a sub process of X ... in which case it wouldn't execute the fallback killall -9 X command ... hmmm

Pizzasgood

#147 Post by Pizzasgood »

If it's the generic Pizzapup, it should be running IceWM 1.2.29.

In /root/.icewm/preferences, it has these entries:

Code: Select all

#  Command to shutdown the system
ShutdownCommand="wmpoweroff"

#  Command to reboot the system
RebootCommand="wmreboot"
I didn't change the wmpoweroff/reboot files at all.

lvds

#148 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I have downloaded and tested your PizzaPup-RC1 and it sounds really great. Here follows a few ideas i noticed:

1. an orange theme exists for Firefox, matching exactly your design, named "Orbit Yellow 2006"

2. a lot of multimedia links does not work, you can check at http://beelinetv.com/

3. i noticed you use mplayer and sometimes it display good embeded multimedia inside firefox. Which packages did you install ? On mine distro i am building, every time mplayer loads inside firefox, the browser crash, even though i installed the mplayer108 with codecs and plugins... I would like to use the same packs than yours.

4. I tried to change locale and did work completely though mine was always crashing ; is there somewhere a .PUP package updated for this ?

All in all, you did a great job :D

Best regards,
Laurent.

Pizzasgood

#149 Post by Pizzasgood »

1. Yep, and I thought about including it. While I was using it, Firefox had some stability issues, and I got annoyed. I don't know if it was that theme's fault or some other tweak, but I decided to just use a mostly vanilla Firefox for simplicity's sake. Next version will probably have Opera anyways, depending on how well I can get it configured.

2&3. The plugin I used was Mplayerplug-in. It has some troubles. I wound up using the daily-build, because that was most stable. As for the remaining problems, it's a Firefox plugin, and as I don't plan to continue using Firefox I'm not very concerned with enhancing it much. The way I see it, including the plugin in the first place was "extra", because without it there'd be nothing. As for Mplayer itself, I compiled the 1.0rc1-3.4.4 version myself.

I'll make a package with the plugin later this week, along with some of the other things I did. There are already Mplayer packages though, so I won't upload Mplayer itself unless someone really wants the one I compiled (which isn't very special)

4. I know absolutely nothing about locales, sorry :(

Glad you like it :)

can8v

#150 Post by can8v »

Pizzasgood wrote:1. Yep, and I thought about including it. While I was using it, Firefox had some stability issues, and I got annoyed. I don't know if it was that theme's fault or some other tweak, but I decided to just use a mostly vanilla Firefox for simplicity's sake. Next version will probably have Opera anyways, depending on how well I can get it configured.
Oh Pizzasgood, say it ain't so. . . I love Firefox. Opera is not fully compatible with some of the Java Scripts I have written for my CMS. If you go to Opera, I will have to go back to standard puppy or stay with Pizza Pup 3 forever :~(

Pizzasgood

#151 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well, I haven't even evaluated Opera yet. If I do go with Opera, I might make a package for Firefox. Although, it isn't that hard to install Firefox by hand. Firefox is one of the easiest non-Puppy-specific packages to install. You just extract it somewhere and symlink the binary to /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin, whichever you prefer. You don't even have to do that if you run it straight from the directory.

can8v

#152 Post by can8v »

I realize that I can add Firefox I have alway done that with the official releases of Puppy, but one of the things I really like about Pizza Puppy three is that I don't have Sea Monkey or some other really large browser that I don't use hanging around taking up space. Also I run from a frugal install, which I believe means that everything is loaded into RAM. So the larger that sfs gets the longer it will take to load it at boot time. Because Pizza Pup 3 has nearly everything that I usually add, and doesn't have most of the extra stuff I never use I have been able to get my boot time down to about 22 seconds. It makes me smile every time I boot my computer. I know about the pupbegone dot pup, but unfortunately it is only affective with a normal hd install, and I cannot do a remaster from a normal hd install. Perhaps you can send me a detailed package list you used to create Pizza Pup 3 with the createpuppy script, then as newer core releases come out I can use puppy unleashed to create newer versions of what I am already using. You have already done, such a fantastic job with the iceWM, xdg menus, etc, etc, etc. . . I would hate to have to recreate that. Unless you know an easier way???

Pizzasgood

#153 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've never used the "simple remaster script", but PupBeGone is supposed to work with it, even with a live-cd (and maybe frugal). However, PupBeGone won't be able to uninstall non-Official packages, just the ones in the normal Puppy repository (I plan to include an adjusted version that can take care of that in a future version).

I could make a dotpup that would "uninstall" opera and then install Firefox. From there, the simple-remaster script could finish the job.

Another way is to use the Edit-SFS dotpup that I made to do it by hand. I can write up detailed instructions in that case, or even script it.

As for uploading the package list, that wouldn't help unless you also had the modified/new packages I used with Pizzapup, the modified initrd.gz, and the modified createpuppy script. I could upload all that, but it would be rather large. The other method is simpler.

I've considered just offering two isos, but I'd rather only have one "officially supported" browser to worry about.

xandas

Pizzapup 3.0 BETA 3,2 & 1

#154 Post by xandas »

Firefox lacks all Opera features. Learning this features helps the navigation.
Usually I install Opera in all Puppy versions.

Puppy 2.14 has Seamonkey, which doesn't handle .mht files.
Mht files contains all the htm code and the drawings in a single file, letting the directories clean.
Xan

can8v

Re: Pizzapup 3.0 BETA 3,2 & 1

#155 Post by can8v »

xandas wrote:Firefox lacks all Opera features. Learning this features helps the navigation.
Usually I install Opera in all Puppy versions.

Puppy 2.14 has Seamonkey, which doesn't handle .mht files.
Mht files contains all the htm code and the drawings in a single file, letting the directories clean.
Xan
Opera is okay, but it sometimes renders pages in a strange way and has problems with some Java Scripts that most other mainstream browsers do not. In particular I don't like Opera because it is incompatible with all the JavaScript WYSIWYG editors that use design.mode except TinyMCE, which has somehow found a work around (TinyMCE is a bunch of bloat and full of other bugs though).