Save directories to multisession DVDs using "growisofs"

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
tallboy

#16 Post by tallboy »

Well, that worked just as intended, apart from one small thing, see details below. I used multisession on a DVD-R disk, and made a directory named applications for Gramps, and all othe programs I want to have within reach. I discovered that updating the .gramps file that contains all data, is smart to do in a separate directory. When I first tried to save .gramps to the gramps dir, it simply spilled the contents into the dir, and the dotfile was nowhere to be found. Trying to be smart and rename to dot-gramps did not help, it just updated the loose files, and dot-gramps could not be found. When I did a new test dir, and moved the .gramps file into a dir called dot-gramps, and saved that dir instead, it worked. The .gramps file is always up to date. You can see the screenshot for details. I also made some new dirs for more programs, and they listed nicely within the application dir on the disk.

I wonder if there is a method to find the earlier saves, as only the latest are listed, maybe they need a date attached.

Tallboy.

BTW, the Gramps and it's deps installed and was ready to run in less than a minute.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback. What do the contents of the DVD look like through Windows?

gcmartin

Can save to a Multi-session CD-R too.

#18 Post by gcmartin »

Live Media Information
On one earlier question on adding folder/files to your LIve "CD", the answer is YES; this works same for a multi-session CD as it does on multi-session DVD.

Only distinctions that I am aware of, is, CD-R cannot be erased and re-used. like you can with a CD-RW. But for multi-session use, it works exactly the same for both media; namely you can add additional data after initiial burn..

This applies to DVD media (DVDR vs DVDRW) also.

Hope this helps

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

Flash wrote:What do the contents of the DVD look like through Windows?
When I look out through my windows, I see trees and birds, but cannot see a single DVD content! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've run Debian since v.3.0 for all heavy stuff at home, Mac before that, Puppy since v.2.13/2.14 or thereabouts, RedHat Enterprise at the university. We do have Windoze at the uni, but most of us prefer Linux. I'll bring the DVD along and take a look in 'doze.

Tallboy.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#20 Post by Flash »

Well, just take a look at the DVD in Windows. See if it looks different from the way it does in Puppy.

tallboy

#21 Post by tallboy »

Flash, will do.

Just to clarify for all; I forgot to add a screenshot showing all the content of / on the DVD above. The multisession DVD used in the screenshots is the one dpup_4.85 is booted from, so all directories are additions that are not read at bootup, but available when the disc is mounted.

Tallboy.

gcmartin

Adding SFSs to a Muli-session LiveCD/DVD

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Flash, after looking at your earlier question on Tuesday, I realize that I might not have given you an answer you were looking for.

You CAN add a file-folder to an existing Multi-session CD/DVD. and have these available to the system whenever you subsequently use that media. I'm sure you were already aware of this. But, I think your question may have been more along the line of whether "properly" placed SFS could be "drawn" into the desktop system, same as is done using frugal/full installation.

This is what I found:
About SFS(s) question, Yes, writing SFSs having them available to the system the next time you boot will NOT natively cause Puppy to pick up the SFSs, even though, I structured it in the same folders that a frugal/full system expects for SFS processing.
Flash wrote: ... if you're still following this thread, did that work? Did the Puppy DVD find and use the OpenOffice.sfs file when it booted?
LightHouse is the ONLY distro with technology for doing this, currently, for new startup Live media boots
LightHouse will, when booting using pfix=ram,sfsconfig <=== This tells the system to "embrace" all SFSs found on the booting Live media for inclusion into the LightHouse desktop..

For all other Puppy distros, one must use Shinobar's or JRB's SFS Linking utilities for managing SFSs on Live media systems after booting to their desktops.

Hope this helps.

2byte

#23 Post by 2byte »

gcmartin wrote: For all other Puppy distros, one must use Shinobar's or JRB's SFS Linking utilities for managing SFSs on Live media systems after booting to their desktops.
Since SFSs are just squashfs files, why not use the mount command to loop mount it read only?

I haven't tried this but it seems like it should work (?)

partsman

#24 Post by partsman »

@ Flash and
@ tallboy
@ gcmartin
AND ANYONE ELSE ! :lol:
The M/S tricks you guys have exchanged in the above !
Its too bad there wasn't a thread where these different little tricks could be kept in one place for anyone who would like to share and exchange :wink:
I dont know maybe already is one ? :?
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#25 Post by Flash »

Um, isn't this is that thread? :?

partsman

#26 Post by partsman »

Flash wrote:Um, isn't this is that thread? :?
Sorry Flash :?
I guess I have been looking in the wrong places :?
I looked for :
Tips & Tricks Using puppy as a M/S CD DVD
Alternative ways to use your M/S puppy
etc .
This tread is titled :
Save directories to DVD+RW as sessions, using growisofs
So this would go for frugal installs too :wink:
The title doesn't say anything about M/S puppy !
I am not trying to be an _ss here just saying :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

That's Okay. I do what I can to make the forum beginner-friendly, but it's still going to be a learning experience.

I have never used the abbreviation M/S to mean multisession, so you'd never have found it. (My first thought when I see M/S is Microsoft, and for sure no newcomer to Puppy would know what M/S means.)

Ted Dog

#28 Post by Ted Dog »

I used ms 4 multisession but people like Flash get confused :shock: There was a funny misunderstanding on one of my threads months ago when I used MS for multisession and others thought Microsoft it read either way. :P

partsman

#29 Post by partsman »

Flash wrote:That's Okay. I do what I can to make the forum beginner-friendly, but it's still going to be a learning experience.

I have never used the abbreviation M/S to mean multisession, so you'd never have found it. (My first thought when I see M/S is Microsoft, and for sure no newcomer to Puppy would know what M/S means.)
I agree with you flash but now you understand what i am trying to say :D
It would be nice if there was a thread where everyone could share various ways to use puppy running on a multi-session cd dvd blue ray etc.
And these ways are tested and truly work :wink:
Also the thread should be sticky :wink:
This way there is info for beginners to start learning about running multi-session puppy :wink:

partsman

#30 Post by partsman »

Ted Dog wrote:There was a funny misunderstanding on one of my threads months ago when I used MS for multisession and others thought Microsoft it read either way. :P
I read that post Ted Dog :wink:

gcmartin

Save directories to multisession,DVDs using "growisofs" comm

#31 Post by gcmartin »

You know, in a way, @Partman does show some of the nomenclature used in Puppyland which has differing meanings. So, the thread's title from "Save directories to DVD+RW as sessions, using growisofs" could be worded as "Save directories to multisession DVDs using "growisofs" command

@Partman, even though you abbreviate you might consider @Flash's observation about how, over the years, M/S means "Microsoft"; NOT "multisession". This confuses those who might want to help.

@Flash and others: To not cause confusion, it should have used the term for DVDs of "multisession"; NOT to be confused with a Puppy "SESSION", which is saved at the end of a user's desktop use for the next boot.

This post is an attempt to add clarity to the thread's original title and what that title pertains to.

Here to help

partsman

#32 Post by partsman »

Thank you gcmartin ! :wink:

tallboy

#33 Post by tallboy »

partsman, I would think you got to this thread from Can swap file manager run swap in a live multi-sessn dvd? via Updating software, where there was a link to
Please post your simple tricks you know but others don't that sent you here. :lol:
There are currently 780711 articles in this forum, and I agree - it is not always easy to find one's way to these few well fomulated threads with extremely interesting contents. 8)
The search function must be used, or site: in google, to find topics of interest, but the Forum index is also a good starting place.

gcmartin: noted!

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.