SOLVED Problem printing via turboprint to Canon S520 inkjet

Please post any bugs you have found
r__hughes

SOLVED Problem printing via turboprint to Canon S520 inkjet

#1 Post by r__hughes »

Live CD puppy 3.01 on an AMD K6 3D 476MHz/384MBram
Trying to print to a Canon S520 inkjet using turboprint-1.96-3.tgz. Installation went OK with printer installed as device CUPS/tp0 which is defined as Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0
- but I have 2 problems:-

1) I can print from seamonkey but not from abiword, gnumeric or notepad - first 2 crash if printer dev is changed from lpr to CUPS/tp0 & hang if lpr is changed to /dev/lp0---- Any ideas? Do I need devx_301.sfs?

2) using http://localhost:631 I can see my Canon-s520 printer definition but the pdf-printer is the default. If I try to set the canon as the default I get a username/password box - this appears twice for anything I enter (is there a correct puppy secret username/password?) then I get a blank seamonkey page:
http://localhost:631/admin/?op=set-as-d ... r_name=tp0
--- nothing I try will change the canon to default printer.
Last edited by r__hughes on Wed 21 Nov 2007, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

r__hughes

#2 Post by r__hughes »

I found the answer in this post - many thanks to bucehohl

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23286

briefly - there is a command line option that lets you (re)define the default CUPS printer- and bypass the localhost:631 password barrier. Once this is done Abiword and Gnumeric will print via lpr to the newly defined default printer.

I forgot to use the turboprint xtpsetup to set tp0 as default at the start since xtpsetup changes the CUPS printer page directly and this led to a comedy of errors because once you use the commandline lpoption -d it locks out further CUPS page attempts.- so ----

1) If the commandline -

Code: Select all

lpoptions -d tp0
has been used to set the default printer it will have created a file
/etc/cups/lpoptions which will override any subsequent CUPS localhost:631
printer page selection - REMOVE IT!!!

2) Get CUPS localhost:631 print select page to work properly by defining the root password to a new value using the commandline -

passwd root
then enter a new password (like root) at the prompt.

3) Use CUPS localhost:631 printer page selection to set the default printer, now the username/password can be entered (root root) and the selection will work. This will be confirmed by the commandline -

lpstatus -d
which will now track the CUPS page selections.
-------------------------------------------
edited 21nov07
I find I have to use the lpoptions command to print to a networked pup301 printer e.g.
lpoptions -d tp0@192.168.0.101
but when the networked pup is offline, lpstat -d still shows it as default - - - so I put the following lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to remove any old manual printer default settings at bootup ---

# remove any old manual lp defaults
if [ -e /etc/cups/lpoptions ];then
  rm /etc/cups/lpoptions
fi