2.13 final, like beta 1,2 will not start with config file

Please post any bugs you have found
Sit Heel Speak

#16 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(deleted by poster)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sun 14 Jan 2007, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#17 Post by Henry »

Not sure I understand. I don't have or want a hard drive installation, although I do have the pup_sav.3fs on the hard drive of course.

Henry

Sit Heel Speak

#18 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Ah. Sorry for being both obtuse and flippant. (rest of apology deleted by poster -- irrelevant)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sun 14 Jan 2007, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

#19 Post by Henry »

Thanks, your comments are very welcome, informative if not corrective ;-)

I have really been quite rigorous and cautious about my testing. I have a whole stack of numbered backup pup_sav.3fs files, all of which are good with 2.12 and untouched by 2.13. After trying 2.13 I am careful to delete the tainted file and copy out another pristine one to try again. I did indeed at one point try the pfix=clean thing although it was by definition not applicable since I had a pristine file.

I have not used any "universal installer" as far as I know.

I have the growing suspicion that 2.13 should still be a beta, so I am simply going to wait. 2.12 is very solid.

Henry

Ledster

#20 Post by Ledster »

Just to add my experiences to this thread. Posted this on the software forum, with only one response - sympathy from a fellow sufferer!

<
My first real problem with Puppy!
Downloaded the 2.13 full drivers iso, Checksum ok.
Ran it to upgrade my 2.12 version (CD start to hard disk .3fs) and all went ok up to starting xwin - a quick glimpse of something and exit to prompt. typing xwin gives the same result. I'm pretty sure my computer can't cope with xwin, but Puppy 2.13 thinks it can and can find no way to revert to the xvesa driver I was using before. I could reinstall - a boot entirely from CD offers me a choice of xvesa or xorg, so I know it is still available (I tried both - xorg crashes, xvesa works).

Is there a way to force 2.13 to start with xvesa? I have tried typing Xvesa, but it only gives me a grey patterned screen with an X for a cursor. Nothing else. I hate giving in to a piece of software!

Computer is a 450Mhz Pentium 2 with 128Mb RAM and an S3 Trio video card with 2Mb RAM.
>

Tried examining the xorg.conf file but past "#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard..." it was blank

Since then I have tried several times using the Xorgwizard and it has now totally trashed itself. The startup goes normally up to starting the xvideo and then the screen goes totally blank. Nothing I can do.

Good job this was my trial setup, the main one will stay on 2.12 for now - unless someone cleverer than me can sort out what the problem is.

Ches

Henry

#21 Post by Henry »

Yes, it does sound very like the problem I observed.

I can't help, and don't know how to force Xvesa in that situation.

You said, "Tried examining the xorg.conf file but past "#everything past here is auto-generated by Puppy's Xorg Wizard..." it was blank"

That's what you would see in your working xorg.conf file. I did as Barry suggested, using the console mp after X exits while trying to boot from the 2.13 CD. Then you see something autogenerated after "past here." I sent the file to Barry but it was beyond me.

Henry

cherriepuppy

#22 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi
dont know if this will help, had a problem with my laptop with xorg & vesa, barry sugested commenting out some lines in xwin, then run xorgconfig to set up manually and it worked, might be worth a try.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14140

cheers

cherriepuppy

Henry

#23 Post by Henry »

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not received the messages as you did on your laptop, but thought it worth a try so went back to Barry's directions to comment out the lines in /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin, tried twice, carefully, but no joy.

Henry

PaulBx1

#24 Post by PaulBx1 »

I have really been quite rigorous and cautious about my testing. I have a whole stack of numbered backup pup_sav.3fs files, all of which are good with 2.12 and untouched by 2.13. After trying 2.13 I am careful to delete the tainted file and copy out another pristine one to try again.
Ah, sounds like a person who's been burnt in the past. Paranoia can be good! :)

Just for grins, have you done an e2fsck on that pup_save of yours, that won't boot?

Have you tried simply renaming it to .2fs?

Do you have any way to look at the boot logs, for example when you get into that "cyclic 'type xwin' situation", can you look at them from the command line? I wonder if the video wizard throws anything in the logs...

Does it go through all the scripts, including rc.local, before dying on you? I guess I need to read your other thread about 213beta to see what is going on; it wasn't entirely clear in this thread.

If you can tell it to boot only to the command line, you might be able to edit the wizard and throw in echo statements and the like to help debug your situation. That is, if the system will pick up the edited version from the upper layer of unionfs at that point (which I don't know).

Henry

#25 Post by Henry »

Thanks! It's late now. I'll get back to you after I try to digest this.

Henry

Henry

#26 Post by Henry »

You wrote: "Just for grins, have you done an e2fsck on that pup_save of yours, that won't boot?

Have you tried simply renaming it to .2fs?"

No, I haven't done an e2fsck on it (and probably don't know how to).

Yes, I had early on tried simply renaming it .2fs, just tried again. No difference.

I'm a little wary/weary of trying things I don't understand; I come from a pre-linux generation. I started this string, part one, the day 2.13 beta1 emerged, so think I'll just wait for the next version before I expend any more energy on this. I suppose ideally I would have been taken up on my offer to mail a disk for beta checking, but who has time for that? ;-)

Thanks again.

Henry

WhoDo

#27 Post by WhoDo »

Ledster wrote:My first real problem with Puppy!
Downloaded the 2.13 full drivers iso, Checksum ok.
Ran it to upgrade my 2.12 version (CD start to hard disk .3fs) and all went ok up to starting xwin - a quick glimpse of something and exit to prompt. typing xwin gives the same result. I'm pretty sure my computer can't cope with xwin, but Puppy 2.13 thinks it can and can find no way to revert to the xvesa driver I was using before. I could reinstall - a boot entirely from CD offers me a choice of xvesa or xorg, so I know it is still available (I tried both - xorg crashes, xvesa works).

Is there a way to force 2.13 to start with xvesa? I have tried typing Xvesa, but it only gives me a grey patterned screen with an X for a cursor. Nothing else. I hate giving in to a piece of software!
Try running Xorgwizard from the prompt. That should let you choose at least a basic setup to get you going.

I believe that Xwin is a startup script for X that uses the parameters you set with Xorgwizard. Typing that again won't change anything unless you have changed Xorgconfig with the Xorgwizard or manually.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ledster

#28 Post by Ledster »

Hi WhoDo,

Yes, I tried running the Xorgwizard from the command prompt. It just put me into the cyclic problem again - select xvesa and it still tries to run Xorg and crashes to the prompt.
Last night I very carefully backed up my working 2.12 on my other computer (Athlon 1.2 (900 MHz), ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard, 256Mb memory, Geforce 2 MX400 video card with 32 Mb memory) and used the 2.13 disk. Same problem.
Like Henry I shall stick to 2.12 for now.
Hope you clever guys can sort it out!

Ches

Henry

#29 Post by Henry »

Good evening, Lobster,

Thanks for the update. As you said earlier, this is something that must be sorted. I bit the bullet and rebuilt in StarLite 2.13, and have a very tidy system now. But I would not want to have to do it again in order to upgrade.

Henry

Henry

#30 Post by Henry »

Oops!,

Apologies to Lobster, whose name I misread.

Henry

Henry

#31 Post by Henry »

And apolgies to you too!, Ledster.

Henry