Precise Puppy 5.7.1 - perfectly spanking solution

Promote Puppy !
seadog

Precise Puppy 5.7.1 - perfectly spanking solution

#1 Post by seadog »

About time I posted this, having used Puppy OS for the last 10 years.
At present, working mainly from a suitcase, I need a pc which is small, but does everything. The Packard Bell netbook with a 10 inch screen is just the job. (£200 on ebay). However, the Windows 7 it comes with is without an office suit and runs like a slug. My Brother printer also has trouble when trying to print or scan using Windows software.
Thus I use Precise Puppy 5.7.1. which is perfect, without bugs. I boot from a dvd using an external cdrom drive, with the 'puppy save' file kept on the hard drive in a folder marked 'Puppy'. This is to avoid Microsoft trying to delete it, if kept just as a file. The work is kept also on the hard drive in another file marked 'Linux'. This is a lot faster to boot and also work with than the Microsoft offering.
I use Abiword, Gnumeric and Libreoffice for the office work and play videos with the built in player. The browsing and email is taken care of by the most excellent Seamonkey (best browser ever). Even the latest Tor web browser loads and runs without problems and Seamonkey can then be configured to run within Tor, for email security.
The printing and scanning Is done with a Brother DCPJ4110 DW. The latest drivers for both functions, downloaded their website, the 'deb' versions, just one click to install. These have been recently re-written and now both work really well. Much faster than the Microsoft offering. Flash installs also with one click.

Ok, this is a computer for work, not for games, so have not tried any MORPG with Puppy, but for work, just perfect. I preferred to keep the windows on the hard drive and take advantage of Puppy's renowned flexibility and run from the dvd, saving stuff back to the hard drive.

So, big hats off to Barry and the others who thought this one up, because this issue is a classic. Simple. easy, and brilliant because it just works.
Which makes me think that this set up would perhaps be perfect for 3rd World use, as it uses a cheaper pc and brilliant operating system. There is certainly something to be said for these lower end computers running a no nonsense Linux operating system.

Last thing, for private email, try 'bitmessage.ch' as a provider. Access this via Tor browser (or re-configured Seamonkey) and you have a really anonymous system.

Happy Puppy-ing chaps

vicmz

#2 Post by vicmz »

Nice one. :D

As an additional note, Puppy can dual-boot with Windows if you install it to the hard drive by either using Frugal Installer (a utility made by Shinobar) or an exe installer. Exe installers install Puppy in Windows just like any other program, then when you reboot you have a menu to choose which system to start. More info:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61404
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]