Geany crashes X...

Please post any bugs you have found
mmm

#16 Post by mmm »

Dougal and Newcrest,

Thanks for the links, I downloaded the 10.2 pup but didn't get 'round to installing it yet. Now that I have downloaded 11 I'll give it a go first. I use Geany a lot so I've got used to its qwerks.

Regards,

mmm

mmm

#17 Post by mmm »

Group, Dougal and Newcrest,

I have used Geany 0.10.2 in Puppy 2.16 and installed Geany 0.11 as well, both versions still can crash X when closing Geany from the taskbar and they both can get stuck minimised or maximised on the taskbar. It doesn't happen all of the time. These problems aren't critical as they are easily avoided, they are just a bit annoying.

It would be great if this one could be worked out but until then I would recommend not closing Geany from the taskbar.

Cheers,

mmm

Puppy 2.16, Live CD, 512MB pup_save.2fs

deadeye

#18 Post by deadeye »

Is this a really a Geany bug or maybe a bug in the used window manager or maybe a bug by the combination of both?

Dougal

#19 Post by Dougal »

deadeye wrote:Is this a really a Geany bug or maybe a bug in the used window manager or maybe a bug by the combination of both?
I'll check it and see if it's really a bug.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Dougal

#20 Post by Dougal »

I tried again and again and it wouldn't crash X for me.
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

GeoffS

#21 Post by GeoffS »

Can't get Geany to do it BUT GnuCash does it quite reliably - particularly if you try to minimise the help window. I thought it was GnuCash until one or two other programs did it, Ghostview has done it a couple of times - minimise (while trying to read a manual :( ) and X crashes.
Is it something I (we) have added?
Geoff
running Puppy 2.13. with GnuCash .sfs file.

mmm

#22 Post by mmm »

I might be imagining this but it seems to be more likely to crash when you are opening and saving files and also if you have been minimising and maximising the windows. Just to be clear it crashes when I right click on it on the taskbar and "close", I can't remember if it is maximised or minimised (I think it is minimised). It could be crashing when it gets stuck minimised or maximised on the taskbar. The Geany window can still be minimised/maximised/closed from the top left hand corner.

Regards,

mmm

Puppy 2.16, Live CD, 512MB pup_save.2fs

deadeye

#23 Post by deadeye »

Because it seems different applications are affected, I guess it is more likely a bug in the window manager or whatever application handles the used taskbar.
If I'm wrong and the problem is in Geany I would be glad about any further information to find and fix the problem.

mmm

#24 Post by mmm »

deadeye,

I'm not saying that it is a Geany bug as such, but I've observed it many times and only with Geany. This still doesn't mean it is a Geany bug I guess it could be a windows manager bug that only affects Geany and other applications I never use. I used Geany 0.10.1, 0.10.2 and 0.11 and whatever version of JWM is used with 2.13. 2.14 and 2.16. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

mmm

deadeye

#25 Post by deadeye »

Is there a JVM dev here? If not, perhaps someone should report the problem to one of them, maybe they have an idea how to track down and fix the problem.

alienjeff

#26 Post by alienjeff »

deadeye wrote:Is there a JVM dev here? If not, perhaps someone should report the problem to one of them, maybe they have an idea how to track down and fix the problem.
Uh ... joewing, the "Joe" of Joe's Window Manager, JWM, has already posted in this thread here.

-aj
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

Dougal

#27 Post by Dougal »

As I mentioned before, I couldn't get it to crash in Puppy with JWM.

Maybe something else has a hand in it (proprietary drivers?).
Some say your nose
Some say your toes

deadeye

#28 Post by deadeye »

alienjeff wrote:
deadeye wrote:Is there a JVM dev here? If not, perhaps someone should report the problem to one of them, maybe they have an idea how to track down and fix the problem.
Uh ... joewing, the "Joe" of Joe's Window Manager, JWM, has already posted in this thread here.
Oops. Forgot his post ;-).
But then the question is, has the JWM version in Puppy (e.g. 2.16) still this bug? If so, an upgrade of JVM in Puppy should solve the problem, if not, it is probably a new one.

mmm

#29 Post by mmm »

Group,

As alienjeff pointed out joewing stated that this bug has been sorted in JWM 1.8 December 24, 2006. Puppy 2.16 uses JWM v1.8. As far as proprietary drivers go I'm using Puppy in a different notebook now so I'll see if I can crash it. Not something I generally try to do, but I'll have a go.

Cheers,

mmm