Remember underdog?

Using applications, configuring, problems
tronkel

#16 Post by tronkel »

musher0 wrote:
In view of the fast-changing pace of Puppy, could your underdog script be used to incorporate an older Puppy into your current one?
I don't ever remember trying to piggy-back on another Puppy version. If the underlying Puppy distro is a full partition install, then it would probably work.

Underdog itself never worked perfectly. The ability to run an executable will depend, as always on the correct dependencies being available at run-time. The chances of any one specific executable being runnable increase if the underlying system is library-compatible with the Puppy version used as the main launcher. The efficacy of Underdog could well improve/change this time round, since Barry is reviewing the implementation.

@Lobster :

The script you refer to is not rocket science at all. All that script does, is to remove or create an underdog.lnx text file with the aid of a command-line menu. This has the effect of enabling/disabling Underdog as the user desires.

Exactly the same thing can be achieved by manually creating or deleting the text file. I certainly didn't implement the Underdog feature itself - it was Barry who did that.

Other interesting things to research as regards connecting up distro functionality are debootstrap and the chroot command.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

musher0

#17 Post by musher0 »

Thanks for your answer, tronkel! :)
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

So one would need to build some kind of super charged Puppy
that includes libs? from many main distros and kernel versions and
so on and by using underdog or what goingnuts is up to and that
would allow that one can make use of repos from many many of the
main distros?

"Partition hda1" Does that need to be fat32, ext2, ext3 etc or can
it be NTFS too?

Sure one could reformat a USB to Ext3 and place any distro
one would explore there and then use Lupu or slacko or saluki?

Can it use Fat32 or does it have to be ext3?

debootstrap is new to me. Does that work good in puppy?
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/01/deb ... tallation/

Does it only work for full install?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Pelo

newest technologies for our old puppies.

#19 Post by Pelo »

Just a fact : i run old puppies on recent ones by loading them 'sfs on the fly', the whole sfs of the old distro, and it takes profit of all the system of the newest (wifi, sound cards, programs). The recent puppy takes profit of the eldest too. Puppy a union Puppy b is the sum, the common part being the youngest.
And it works
Here i am with DPUP 485 installed on the fly on DPUP exprimo released 2013

The aim seems the same as underdog.
What is the interest : oldest puppies are richer than young ones, but they cannot connect on recent computers. Loading on the fly gives me the best of each one. Musher0 in french forum is not againt, others find this process foolish !

Polar pup : no trace of underdog files (pfind)

mistfire

#20 Post by mistfire »

Hello I tried to use underdog linux on slitaz. It works however slitaz environment runs also as a result there are two panels are running; one for slitaz and one for puppy. Is there anyway to supress running of desktop environment of other distro on underdog unless its initiated by user or switch environments between puppy and other distro?

mistfire

#21 Post by mistfire »

Underdog linux tool (with GUI frontend)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=916896