Installing Puppy on laptop with 64 MB RAM

Booting, installing, newbie
LOF

Installing Puppy on laptop with 64 MB RAM

#1 Post by LOF »

I have recently fallen in love with all things Linux and discovered Puppy. I intend to purchase a cheap, old spec laptop and put the operating system on if possible.

Spec:
Pentium II 266mhz
64mb RAM
4.3gb hard drive
CD-Rom & Floppy drive
USB 1.1

Is it possible to install from scratch? Would Puppy work on this spec?

+ any other advice going.

Thanks,

LOF

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

puppy should work fine with you're setup, but you should create, & format, a swap partition of, say, 128Mbytes.

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

also it might be advisable to do check http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
for a few different models, as some brands are more linux friendly than others.

also, someone else might know where the link for hardware that works with puppy is, (that used to be on the wiki)?

LOF

#4 Post by LOF »

Sorry, still a bit confused.

Taken from http://www.puppyos.com/hard-puppy.htm
Type 1: The files vmlinuz, initrd.gz and pup_xxx.sfs are copied to a partition. This partition may already have something installed on it and that will not be disturbed.
Type 2: A full installation, taking over the entire partition. This is the normal traditional Linux hd installation, and requires the partition to have a Linux filesystem (EXT2, EXT3 or REISERFS).
Which do I choose?

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Don't normally recommend laptops, but if you're buying, you might want to consider getting it from Snowdog, who will install Puppy for you before dispatch.

PS. Be sure to update your profile to show your location!

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

with type one install, also known as frugal, everything is saved in a compressed file. the advantage of this method is that backing up just involves saving the pup_xxx.sfs file as, say, pup_xxx.sfs.bak . if some changes you've made to your system don't work properly, restoring puppy to a former state just involves renaming the .bak file to it's original name, & you're back where you were. also if you want to upgrade puppy, with this type of install it just involves copying over 3 files.

type two install, or normal, is just a traditional directory structure on your hard disk. which you decide to use is entirely up to you.

how is your hard disk currently formatted? also, as i mentioned before, you should probablymake a 128Mbyte swap partition. if you boot the puppy cdrom entirely in ram, which might be a bit slower with 64M ram, then you can use gparted to create a swap partition on your hard disk.

LOF

#7 Post by LOF »

muggins wrote:how is your hard disk currently formatted? also, as i mentioned before, you should probablymake a 128Mbyte swap partition. if you boot the puppy cdrom entirely in ram, which might be a bit slower with 64M ram, then you can use gparted to create a swap partition on your hard disk.
I have no idea how the drive is formatted, I haven't bought the laptop yet. It will be supplied without an operating system and so I'm looking towards Puppy.

I am complete novice when it comes to hard drives having only ever run the Windows install. Please tell me more, or point me to the appropriate resources.

Thanks.

Sage

#8 Post by Sage »

Snowdog's your man - knows all there is to know about laptops and Puppy. Why not send him a PM?

Tuga

#9 Post by Tuga »

hello to all :D

I'm new here too and i have installed puppy 2.12 in my old lappy.
Since i have plenty of HardDrive space i choosed the HD install and i'm satisfied with it.
what i did:
To boot the puppy i had to go to the Bios and choose the cdrom to boot.
At the boot prompt i had to put the option "puppy acpi=off"(was giving me error Kernel Panic)
When came the time to configure x i choose Xorg and all went well.
With the system on i configured my partitions using cfdisk (very simple and intuitive but gparted in the menu is simple too)
Reboted.
All the last steps again.(except the repartitioning)
Selected from the menu the HardDrive Install
Folowed the instructions
installed grub in hda and MBR
After the instalation rebooted from the hda and get the same error(KernelPanic)
Rebooted again with the puppy cd and edit the grub (aded acpi=off)
Reboot from hda and all went well
I then run the alsaconf script and sound ok
my pcmcia ethernet card was detected by the network wizard ok
And my usb stick wireless (sitecom WL-113) is working with ndiswrapper using the win driver from the sitecom instalation cd.

ToDo:

Test WEP and WPA (still learning what is that :oops: )How to creat a wep key???? :oops:
Video just........aaaaaaaaarrrggggghhhhhhh :? :? (but is not very important for me)
Put LimeWire to work(not dealing very well with java)
Put the PT dict. in Abi.

Puppy works just fine in my lappy, no crashes, fast and in the overall everything just work.I'm very happy with it :P

Hope this list help to guide you in the comon steps.

marksouth2000

#10 Post by marksouth2000 »

I'm typing this on a laptop that i got from Snowdog. Search the forum for my detailed post. The machine has very similar spec to that planned for purchase, except i have 96MB of RAM and 6GB disk. Puppy 2.12 runs beautifully. I'd recommend Opera as the browser especially for its quick zoom ability that makes it perfect for 800x600 screens. I also have a USB wireless stick (RT2570) to complete the sense of freedom.

Like Sage says, make some swap first, 128MB will do OK. You could do that with a tomsrtbt floppy. Search the forum for tomsrtbt, I have given detailed instructions more than once already.

A PII 266 is not a new machine and so it's unlikely that there is any esoteric hardware that is unsupported, the advice to search tuxmobile etc is more important with newish machinery.

SnowDog

#11 Post by SnowDog »

Hi LOF.
I PM'd you for more details.

re: will it work?
Probably, if not we'll die trying!

Will await your response.
Cheers
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.