Tinkering w/ Haze WM

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
technosaurus

#31 Post by technosaurus »

Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#32 Post by samira »

Hey everyone,
I managed to get a .tar.gz file with the haze binaries.. Tried it out, was ok at first. Then i noticed the fonts look funny in italics. Any way to change the fonts? Because in the hazerc the font options are rather cryptic.
And by the way, anyone notice the close button on the left is slightly to the right?

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#33 Post by samira »

P/S: any idea where the color of the menu bar is specified in the sources? I'd like to change it to grey (dark or light), white or silverish..

Keef

#34 Post by Keef »

To find a usable font on your system, use xfsontsel. 'select' copies the line to the clipboard, so you can paste it to hazerc.
I'd like to change the menu background too, but no joy yet.

goingnuts

#35 Post by goingnuts »

Close button intended right can be left aligned by deleting "sticky"-flag from menu.
Menubar color and height are hard coded. Attached patch add option

Code: Select all

DECORATIONS_INACTIVE_BG	gray

MENUBARHEIGHT  32

## Number of Desktop
to set the menu bar height to whatever size you want. Thats handy as one can reuse the 32-icons as miniicons:

# Old mlvwm style definitons
Style
"calctool" MiniIcon accessories-calculator.xpm NoResizeR
which will replace the red X with the icon in menubar upper right.
Or you could set height to 48 and swallow some cool WindowMaker-style dockapps...

I have worked on the pm_haze_xdg.sh script to handle more categories but not quite set yet. Going towards a Gnome-panel-like solution where most menus are in sub menus of an "Application"-main-menu...

I try to keep the "hazewm-0.2-collage" updated for download here
Attachments
haze-0.2_menubarheight.diff.gz
2. version fixing no MENUBARHEIGHT present in hazerc-file
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
haze_menu_test.png
(74.3 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Last edited by goingnuts on Thu 17 Oct 2013, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze Wm

#36 Post by samira »

Thanks everyone..
Been using mlvwm instead & see what i can do
instead, because Haze doesn't have themes. The
black menu bar with white fonts are a little
contrasting with each other. Any idea how to
turn it white or grey? Understand that if it's hard coded, where would be the best place to start for changing the menu bar colors? And i've tried the Colours option in .hazerc, however, my xserver quits. I can only run haze in it's default b&w theme.

goingnuts

#37 Post by goingnuts »

samira:hazewm is based on mlvwm - a lot of code change is just name changes (like "MlvwmWindow *ActiveWin;" -> "HAZEWMWindow *ActiveWin;"). So tinkering with mlvwm - implementing real code adds from hazewm - might be a proper way forward. Colors are set in InitGCs in main.c - my code for setting menu bar height via .hazerc can be extended to setting menu colors as well - but you can hard code new colors via changes in InitGCs (change the "GetColor( "#bbbbbb");" values...

samira

#38 Post by samira »

Thanks goingnuts,
I got the haze starter pack, and it works on v4.31.(though the standard package failed to run on v4.31).. But the menubar was like 1 px thin, so had to add the MENUBARHEIGHT parameter to fix the problem..

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#39 Post by samira »

goingnuts: you mentioned a way to change the menubar colour via .hazerc, what's the syntax? By the way, wouldn't we need to change the font colour if the menubar color is changed too?
goingnuts wrote:samira:hazewm is based on mlvwm - a lot of code change is just name changes (like "MlvwmWindow *ActiveWin;" -> "HAZEWMWindow *ActiveWin;"). So tinkering with mlvwm - implementing real code adds from hazewm - might be a proper way forward. Colors are set in InitGCs in main.c - my code for setting menu bar height via .hazerc can be extended to setting menu colors as well - but you can hard code new colors via changes in InitGCs (change the "GetColor( "#bbbbbb");" values...

goingnuts

#40 Post by goingnuts »

samira wrote:Thanks goingnuts,
I got the haze starter pack, and it works on v4.31.(though the standard package failed to run on v4.31).. But the menubar was like 1 px thin, so had to add the MENUBARHEIGHT parameter to fix the problem..
Thanks for reporting - in fact the starter-pack is expected to work on every known version and beyond...
The 1px menu is an error/bug - I have updated the menubarheight patch above to fix this - and updated the hazewm-starter-pet as well.
The standard package you mention - what is that?
The setting of menubar-color via rcfile is not coded yet - what I meant was that code similar to the code providing menubarheigt could be used to set the different colours.
And yes - font-color should be adjustable too - good point!

I tend to prefer further work to be done with offset in mlvwm and not hazewm.

mlvwm/hazewm is really low resource demand windowmanagers with quite extended properties. Hard to get memory usage above 400K for the static linked bin...

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#41 Post by samira »

goingnuts: the "standard" package i was refering to is "hazewm.tar.gz" which contained the executable.
By the way, I do prefer mlvwm over hazewm, in terms of practicality & aesthetics. However, haze being built on mlvwm code, meaning whatever bugs on mlvwm was probably reduced. (Eg. the double scroll bars). And I would like mlvwm to have more functions such as able to create a new folder,etc, just like on an actual mac.

goingnuts

#42 Post by goingnuts »

OK - thanks. I will try working on mlvwm. I have most of the code for theming menubar and will try to add some theming of the windows.
I am not sure if haze has less bugs - or that mlvwm has bugs...
In fact mlvwm seems more robust - the added theming in haze lacks error checking and so...
The scroll bars can be disabled in mlvwm via mlvwmrc ex:

# Define the default window decoration
Style
"*" MiniIcon mini-cross.xpm, NoSBarH, NoSBarV, NoResizeR, MaxmizeScale 100, MenuBar default
END

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#43 Post by samira »

goingnuts: Been trying out mlvwm since this morning. Did bump into some problems like:
1. When swallowing xclock, if we specify the foreground colour as 'grey' it appears darker than the menu bar. However, when specifying 'light grey', or in hex, it doesn't seem to understand and hangs.
2. When swallowing xload (with syntax xload -nolabel -fg red, etc), it hangs as well, only displaying the title on the menu bar when mlvwm is loading.
I did try that method to hide the scrollbars in .mlvwmrc, and it does look better.
I was wondering also, what if we just made changes to haze wm to mimic mlvwm, eg. changing the menu bar colors, icons, etc to bring make it more up-to-date, nothing too fancy though. Just simple, fast, and aesthetically pleasing.

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#44 Post by samira »

P/s: I didn't manage to get a screenshot as my xserver keeps freezing out of nowhere.

goingnuts

#45 Post by goingnuts »

Could you test attached mlvwm?
I have tried to make settings of colors for menu bar & windows possible via mlvwmrc - keeping system8 free of the colors and having close to default if none of the new flags are set. Menu bar height will be settable with system8 though.

The mlvwm parser wont accept content with "#" - its regarded as a comment - should work on that later - and every " " is considered a new command/flag so that "crashes" it too.

I also have attached my present mlvwmrc but you will probably need to adjust it.

Both attachment are fake .gz-files - just rename for use.

As for continuing on hazewm instead - I gave up - much easier to work in mlvwm-code and adapt things from hazewm.
EDIT: Removed attachments
Last edited by goingnuts on Tue 29 Oct 2013, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#46 Post by samira »

goingnuts: I downloaded your version of mlvwm, was quite impressed with it's flexibility. Also, it feels more zippy & light on my laptop with pup 4.30.. And though the icons aren't there, i managed to get it running with the plain & mac os 8 themes.
Attachments
mlvwm_system8.jpg
(133.75 KiB) Downloaded 562 times

samira

Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#47 Post by samira »

Keef: I've tried to use xfontsel but it seems when clicking 'select', nothing is in the clipboard for me to paste in geany/leafpad..

goingnuts

Re: Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#48 Post by goingnuts »

samira wrote:goingnuts: I downloaded your version of mlvwm, was quite impressed with it's flexibility. Also, it feels more zippy & light on my laptop with pup 4.30.. And though the icons aren't there, i managed to get it running with the plain & mac os 8 themes.
Thanks for testing! I will add the haze min/max, resize & close window boxes as style option and a few other things. And then post source & link to mlvwm-hacked-starter-pack...

samira

Re: Tinkering w/ Haze WM

#49 Post by samira »

goingnuts wrote:
samira wrote:goingnuts: I downloaded your version of mlvwm, was quite impressed with it's flexibility. Also, it feels more zippy & light on my laptop with pup 4.30.. And though the icons aren't there, i managed to get it running with the plain & mac os 8 themes.
Thanks for testing! I will add the haze min/max, resize & close window boxes as style option and a few other things. And then post source & link to mlvwm-hacked-starter-pack...
Great! I'll be waiting for that..since i last did any c programming way back in '04, i'm a bit rusty, looking at a .c file is abit overwhelming for now i guess.

Keef

#50 Post by Keef »

samira

A middle mouse click will paste into a text editor. Right click and 'paste', as well as ctrl+v, seem not to work.