Geeqie: Gtk2 image viewer (is in alpha)

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
muggins

Geeqie: Gtk2 image viewer (is in alpha)

#1 Post by muggins »

http://geeqie.sourceforge.net/
Geeqie is a lightweight Gtk+ based image viewer for Unix like operating systems.
Main features

* EXIF, IPTC and XMP metadata browsing and editing
* interoperability, easy integration with other software
* geeqie works on files and directories, there is no need to import images
* fast preview for many raw image formats
* tools for image comparison, sorting and managing photo collection
Run via Menu->Graphic->Geeqie

N.B. I've compiled this to use exiv2 libraries, so exiv2-0.16.pet is also required.

dogone

Geegie

#2 Post by dogone »

muggins,

Shades of Gqview but better. Geegie looks very nice indeed! It has an intuitive and efficient interface, is FAST, feature rich and flexible.

Geegie is not exactly small by Puppy (Barry's) standards, but I believe Barry should take a very careful look at it. Geegie could very well warrant the space. It sure beats everything Puppy currently ships with.

disciple

Re: Geeqie: Gtk2 image viewer (is in alpha)

#3 Post by disciple »

IIRC it is only forked from gqview because they couldn't contact the gqview developer. When I last looked, pretty much everything seemed to be on a to-do list.
In what ways is it better so far?
Because I suspect Barry is well aware of gqview, which he obviously doesn't want to include in Puppy.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

dogone

Re: Geeqie: Gtk2 image viewer (is in alpha)

#4 Post by dogone »

disciple wrote:IIRC it is only forked from gqview because they couldn't contact the gqview developer. When I last looked, pretty much everything seemed to be on a to-do list.
In what ways is it better so far?
Because I suspect Barry is well aware of gqview, which he obviously doesn't want to include in Puppy.
I'm a long-time fan of Gqview. It's always struck me as the best compromise in terms of browsing, viewing and managing images and it's duplicate detection/removal feature is superb. It's also relatively easy to navigate.

Geeqie (pronounciation?) takes the good of Gqview and adds valuable features and some very intuitive key bindings. Navigation in Geeqie is a cinch and feels very natural. Not having touched to application before, I had no difficulty changing the control focus, scrolling the two lists or zooming and panning the image. Overall, Geeqie has one of the best thought out UI I've laid hands on!

For these reasons alone, I feel sure the Barry will fall for Geeqie hook line and sinker. It may however, be too big for his tastes. But even if he declines to include it as a core app, Geeqie must make it's way into a Puppy repository. Puppy people can't pass this one by.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Puppy4 already has exiv2 library.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

koolie

#6 Post by koolie »

Dont abandon GQview too quickly.

I have used GQview for years and never considered that it needed any improvement, but the new features in GeeQie are excellent, and it is noticeably faster.
There are a number of issues with it, such as..
when trying to display more than ~100 thumbnails it crashes. (I have a huge amount of RAM)
Mouse scrolling of image doesnt work.
Arrow panning and scrolling of image is erratic, to put it mildly. Left-right is mostly ok, but up-down causes pointer to jump into file-list window.

When this stuff gets fixed it should be a great prog.

Pelo

Viewnior and fotoxx are better, in my opinon.

#7 Post by Pelo »

Geeqie was a nice image viewer and is still used as default in our more recent Puppies (here Pupjibaro 1.0.6 Wheezy)
Nevertheless, Viewnior and fotoxx are better, in my opinon.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 23 Apr 2016, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

I'm guessing you're talking about an older version of fotoxx, are you?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pelo

Fotoxx, which version ? I cannot tell now.

#9 Post by Pelo »

Fotoxx, which version ? I cannot tell now.
But fotoxx is really surprising, bot for browsing your pictures, but for editing. The curves to adjust light or colours do miracles, and it's visual, not numbers to type. I like it.
It's an old product. But about 'old' for developers does nots mean quality, means on what it can be used. If your fotoxx run via your Puppy and your computer, don't ask yourself more questions, do your job, edit your pictures.
:) to develop for me was meaning take the white paper, project the negative image on it, put it in the bath, wash it, puti it in the fixator bath, wash it again, and let it dry,
Not a version number
However numerical images makes it easy,... and cheap
PS : fotoxx ask you to index your repositories. Do it.

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

PS : fotoxx ask you to index your repositories. Do it.
That's what I was getting at - the recent versions I've tried won't let you do anything without indexing - I find programs like this incredibly annoying.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pelo

what programs do you like ?

#11 Post by Pelo »

what programs do you like ?

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

I don't know that you can beat xnview-mp for what it does, but I've still got geeqie set as my default viewer.
For editing I pretty much just use gimp.
Don't get me wrong - Fotox is incredible, especially for its tiny size, but I'd just like to edit with it occasionally, so I don't see the need for it to insist on indexing.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pelo

Fotoxx is to be used for editing pictures

#13 Post by Pelo »

i fully agree with you. Fotoxx is to be used for editing pictures, and not all of them.. .