[Wish] Pet backup a la FEBE / TEBE +CLEO

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
Dromeno

[Wish] Pet backup a la FEBE / TEBE +CLEO

#1 Post by Dromeno »

FEBE (for Firefox) and TEBE (for Thunderbird) are superb backup addons. In one click they back up all the installed addons in a directory of choice, so it becomes much easier to share those with other people.

I wish there was something like that for puppy: a one click program which compares a fattened puppy with the original .iso and then produces a .pet which contains all the software which is added since the 2fs was created.

Then you would be able to send that pet to somebody with another puppy + own 2fs, install it. The result would look like the two 2fs files were merged.

You should have the choice to not add personal information like passwords, bookmarks etc in the backup

In this way you would not only be able to create your own puppy distro but also to mix/merge existing puplets of the same parent puppy.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Well really a remaster would make sense here.

What may be interesting is that linux has no system for fixing a corrupted full instal...it relies on the file system remaining healthy
I remaster my full install to create a backup as an sfs.
Perhaps something akin to system file checker in windows could happen..ie at boot mount the sfs backup...compare with full installation and replace any files that appear to be missing or the wrong size/date

mike