Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 03:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Howto boot Puppy from internal Compact Flash card
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
dvw86

PostPosted: Tue 02 Aug 2005, 01:34    Post subject:  

I have hda1 formated as 3GB FAT16 and hda2 formated as 115GB ext2 with Puppy 1.0.3 installed on it. Grub manages the boot options. I thought that I would try the install to USB script on hda1 just to see how it would work. Everything looks like it installs fine. I modified syslinux.cfg as Barry instructed. Grub finds the vmlinuz file and starts to boot, but half way through booting up on hda1 I get a kernel panic. The error is:
"Warning: unable to open initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

Puppy on hda2 still works fine.
wscarl

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug 2005, 19:09    Post subject: How to send you hardware?  

Barry
Like to send you some hardware. Small - lite - so you can play with IDE Flash Modules - also made short cable so that you have both on one ide header Question Very Happy How to send you hardware? Question
Warren
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 04 Aug 2005, 22:04    Post subject:  

wscarl,
I've already got the NTA06010A, which has a Compact Flash card plugged in internally via an adaptor to the IDE cable.
wscarl

PostPosted: Fri 05 Aug 2005, 14:41    Post subject: IDE flash module vs ide flash card  

Transend IDE flash module vs ide flash card - ide flash module has longer life for read/write can be set as Master/Save as well as read/write or read only and are avilable 32meg-2gig - 40/44pin. Also it has a low profile.
Agilos

PostPosted: Wed 17 Aug 2005, 12:25    Post subject:  

WSCARL: Are the speeds comparable between a flash module and a flash card? Just concerned about a performance difference. Let me know thanks!
BlackAdder

PostPosted: Fri 19 Aug 2005, 22:15    Post subject:  

Perhaps I can add my 2 cents worth.
Transcend quote the instaneous data rate of the IDE flash module at 16.6MB/sec. They also say that it should be good for 100,000 write cycles and they give a 2 year warranty.
There are a number of speeds of CF cards available. Makers have taken to quoting the speed in terms of base CD-ROM speed. So there are 30X, 45X and 80X cards advertised. A 30X is 30 x 150KB/sec or 4.5MB/sec, and I assume that is the instantaneous data rate.
On that basis, the IDE flash module is faster than most CF cards.
The Transcend CF cards are also said to be good for 100,000 write cycles, but some carry a 5 year warranty. Maybe Transcend is expecting the IDE Flash to hit the 100K limit sooner than the CF cards, but that is only my surmise.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2005, 00:03    Post subject:  

Here's the Wikipedia article about flash memory. Well worth reading.

Here's another, more in-depth article about flash memory.
wscarl

PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2005, 22:42    Post subject: IDE Flash Modules vs CF-Wait if you got big buck's FLASH HD  

IDE FM currently transfer rate of PIO mode 4
While Flash HD are available in IDE ata100, SATA 150and Scsi 160and upto 40gig and in 3.5, 2.5 and 1.8 form factor's
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2005, 00:07    Post subject:  

Wow, a 40 GB flash drive? How much does it cost? The largest flash memory I'm aware of is an 8 GB CF card that costs something like $800.
wscarl

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2005, 15:58    Post subject: FLASH HD  

IDE FLASH 40gig 3.5 under $1200.00 USD last I checked- will post current price later.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Aug 2005, 17:18    Post subject: Check Industial Flash HD Drive- Soild State Drives  

http://www.adtron.com/products/I25fb.html
http://www.bitmicro.com/products_edisk_35_ide.php
http://www.provantage.com/rwh_93982_Product_Info.pdf#search='IDE%20Flash%20Hard%20drive%203.5'
http://www.memtech.com/35inch.html
http://www.curtisssd.com/products/drives/
http://www.m-sys.com/site/en-US/
gnomen

PostPosted: Sat 01 Oct 2005, 11:22    Post subject:  

Any updates on this?

I am especially interested in anything on Marvs "write-to-pupxxx-only-what-has-been-modified-or-deleted-since-last-boot-project" as that process is taking some time

It seems to me that the changes in /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit mentioned in the beginning of this thread are implemented as standard in Puppy 1.05. Is that correct or am I being blind and stupid?

My syslinux.cfg looks like this
Code:
default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz
append PSLEEP=5 PHOME=hda1 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 PKEYS=no

In other words I scraped the nodma statement and set the PSLEEP to 5. It works without hickups. What happens if I set PSLEEP to 1?

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2005, 00:23    Post subject:  

I'm running on an IDE/CF card and found that I had to have the ide=nodma to avoid errors during boot (even with CF card as slave). It would boot after a number of retries on the errors but the nodma parameter cleaned this up. Could be related to the brand of CF card or IDE adapter...
via

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2005, 15:44    Post subject: my CF can't startx  

my cf existing on hdc1 not hda1
i changed in syslinux.cfg for PHOME=hdc1
after boot it stucked on try to get usr file from sdc (cdrom)
then it said sorry can't startx,i got only text mode

do you have anytrick to make it work
BlackAdder

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct 2005, 03:56    Post subject:  

gnomen - you are correct in assuming that the changes to modules and sysinit are part of Puppy 1.0.5. If you set the PSLEEP parameter to 999, Puppy will not do the USB wait thing and is supposed to defer writes to the CF card until shutdown. Except that it does not seem to do that deferral. Have been meaning to check the scripts to see what actually happens, but have been fluffing around with other things. Marv's mods are not in standard 1.0.5 as far as I can see.

re the ide=nodma parameter, it seems to make no difference on the combination of IDE controller and CF card that I have. Have tried various combinations of idebus speed and DMA settings without seeing any speed change, and no errors are reported in my case.

Guest, could you tell us what your configuration is, e.g. what you have on hda and hdb; plus what your syslinux.cfg looks like. I may be able to help; having a CD-ROM as sdc looks a bit odd.
Page 1 of 3 [37 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: