Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 10:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Simple Installer
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [28 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
ecomoney

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2006, 01:57    Post subject: Yippeee
Subject description: Success

All it needed was four more hours and its cracked. I used the secretary's machine with the hard disk temporarily replaced.

Its 4:30am so excuse if Im a little vague. After grub refused to load on a fat32 partition I formatted the almost the whole drive (3.2 gig) to Linux ext2 with a 200mb swap file at the end using gparted. I used the pdisk drive partition manager into cfdisk to make the linux partion bootable. I then used the universal installer to install the files from the cd to the hard disk with the ATA fixed disk option (does this just copy the pup2.xx.sfs file or am I missing something?). I then used the control panel>grub bootloader config to install grub (I installed it to the linux partition and the Master Boot Record (mbr), just to be sure. I had created the "/boot" folder in the root of the linux partition just to be sure.

The pup_2.02 file was already in the root directory (from the universal installer), so I copied initrd.gz and vmlinuz off the cd into the /boot directory. After editing the menu.lst file using whodo's instructions as a guide it looked like this.

Code:
# GRUB configuration file '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.
# generated by 'grubconfig'.  Tue Dec 12 03:09:07 2006
#
# The backup copy of the MBR for drive '/dev/hda' is
# here '/boot/grub/mbr.hda.2355'.  You can restore it like this.
# dd if=/boot/grub/mbr.hda.2355 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
#
# Start GRUB global section
#timeout 0
color light-gray/blue black/light-gray
# End GRUB global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
  title Linux (on /dev/hda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0
  initrd /boot/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
title Install GRUB to floppy disk (on /dev/fd0)
pause Insert a formatted floppy disk and press enter.
root (hd0,0)
setup (fd0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title Install GRUB to Linux partition (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0,0)
pause Press enter to continue.
title -     For help press 'c', then type: 'help'
root (hd0)
title -     For usage examples, type: 'cat /boot/grub/usage.txt'
root (hd0)

Im assuming unecessary bits can be removed.

I tried it and it booted wahey!!! Very Happy

Just as an experiment I "upgraded" the files from a 2.12 disk I had handy (Ive tried a 2.02 to 2.12 upgrade before and it seems to be compatible). This worked and Im booting from it now.

Now for the whole Windows vs Linux thing, Ive recently read that linux is great because it gives you more choices. Windows doesnt give you as many choices and because of that it is easier to set up. I have installed many OS's from DOS6.2 to windows XP sp2 (not for at least two years though!). Ive also installed Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu/Edubuntu, Mandrake and Mepis and all have gone smoothly. It has given me choices and Ive installed them. I know about partitions and formatting thats fine. The installer has handled the rest. This is something quite different.....

Last time I installedx Windoze it tookm me 4 1/2 hours with all of the software/updates/antivirus etc, ok its taken me longer than that to LEARN HOW to install puppy, but not that much longer. I wont be going back for any amount of money. I do think this should be " complexity should be encapsulated" (to use a programming term). Its simply not something that can be figured out in five minutes by the average tinkerer like myself.

My aim with this (as well as keeping our current clients happy) is to setup a guide and some template pup_saves for computer recyclers. I think with the right knowledge and preparation it should be possible to get the time to recycle a computer using puppy (with a standard cd drive plus 1 hard disk, i.e. 95% of computers out there) in under ten minutes. This should make it profitable to deal with these computers which around these parts it quite frankly is not with windows. I intend to do another video of this and post it to the web, something less boring!

I will be practicing and refining the process as I go along and writing it up properly. Thank you for your help and clues along the way everyone Very Happy

Sorry, my server is down atm!
ecomoney

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2006, 21:45    Post subject: Installation  

Ive studied the installation and theres still an issue with the bootloader. Setting a timeout=o in menu.lst of grub would seem to make it wait indefinetely. Is there a way of making it accept the default (only) choice in less than one second?

Also, the setup here is for 2.xx series puppy. What would I need to change to make it work with puppy 1.09ce (as used at the cybercafe...Im getting so annoyed with people stealing the disks!!!)

Sorry, my server is down atm!
WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2006, 22:04    Post subject: Re: Installation  

ecomoney wrote:
Ive studied the installation and theres still an issue with the bootloader. Setting a timeout=o in menu.lst of grub would seem to make it wait indefinetely. Is there a way of making it accept the default (only) choice in less than one second?
Yes. Remove the # from that line in menu.lst which serves to make the line a comment only - not active.
Quote:

Also, the setup here is for 2.xx series puppy. What would I need to change to make it work with puppy 1.09ce (as used at the cybercafe...Im getting so annoyed with people stealing the disks!!!)
I believe that in Puppy 1.x you replace initrd.gz with image.gz - otherwise they are essentially the same for a frugal install. Others more familiar with 1.x will correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers
WhoDo

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2006, 22:20    Post subject: Re: Yippeee
Subject description: Success

ecomoney wrote:
Now for the whole Windows vs Linux thing, Ive recently read that linux is great because it gives you more choices. Windows doesnt give you as many choices and because of that it is easier to set up. I have installed many OS's from DOS6.2 to windows XP sp2 (not for at least two years though!). Ive also installed Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu/Edubuntu, Mandrake and Mepis and all have gone smoothly. It has given me choices and Ive installed them. I know about partitions and formatting thats fine. The installer has handled the rest. This is something quite different.....

Last time I installedx Windoze it tookm me 4 1/2 hours with all of the software/updates/antivirus etc, ok its taken me longer than that to LEARN HOW to install puppy, but not that much longer. I wont be going back for any amount of money. I do think this should be " complexity should be encapsulated" (to use a programming term). Its simply not something that can be figured out in five minutes by the average tinkerer like myself.

The difference is that with Windows you don't have a choice to COEXIST with another operating system. In Puppy you do. If you use Puppy the way you have used Windows, Ubuntu, Mepis, Mandrake, etc - a NORMAL install to take over a partition that already exists, or to create a new partition - the only difference is that you use Gparted separately from the Universal Installer. Once in the PUI you just have to answer questions, like Windows et al, and you get all the choices you need, including the Grub configuration installer called automagically. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes!

Quote:

My aim with this (as well as keeping our current clients happy) is to setup a guide and some template pup_saves for computer recyclers. I think with the right knowledge and preparation it should be possible to get the time to recycle a computer using puppy (with a standard cd drive plus 1 hard disk, i.e. 95% of computers out there) in under ten minutes. This should make it profitable to deal with these computers which around these parts it quite frankly is not with windows. I intend to do another video of this and post it to the web, something less boring!

I will be practicing and refining the process as I go along and writing it up properly. Thank you for your help and clues along the way everyone Very Happy

What you're planning - setting up a Puppy install that can be used on old recycled PC's - is what I do every week, 2 days a week, as part of a Work for the Dole project. We take donated PC's and recycle them for donation to charity groups, community organisations, refuges, refugees, unemployed, etc.

Time is not an issue in my group, so using a script we not only install Puppy to the hard drives but also install a number of refinements such as Icewm-Ultra, wallpapers, set double click in Rox, etc to make the machines as usable to Windows users as possible. That way we reduce their learning curve to almost nil.

Good luck with your project. Getting rid of the Windows partition and forcing your users to go "cold turkey" on Linux using Puppy is the only way to go IMHO.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2006, 22:33    Post subject:  

to boot Puppy 1.x, you would put something like this in Grub's menu.lst:

timeout 0

title = Puppy
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PFILE=pup001-none-262144 PHOME=hda1
initrd /image.gz

timeout 0 should make it boot immediately with no pause ... this assumes you are booting a frugal install with the Puppy files on hda1 ... this assumes the save file is called pup001 and it is about 256 megs (make it any size you like) ... this assumes that vmlinuz and image.gz are in / ... PHOME is not necessary, it forces the location of the pup001 save file ... none means no password, do not encrypt the save file

if you leave out the PFILE parameter, Puppy might use hda1 for the file system instead of a save file ... i'm not sure, i have never used Puppy that way

you can add a section to menu.lst if you want to boot Windows too ... kernel boot options can be added, like noapic nolapic nomce apm=off acpi=off apm=on acpi=on etc etc etc, depending on the hardware
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec 2006, 22:43    Post subject:  

unless it is a full normal install to a dedicated partition, in which case menu.lst for Puppy 1.x and 2.x would be about the same
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec 2006, 06:04    Post subject:  

ecomoney,

i just emailed you a gzipped grub file with menu.lst to boot cdrom's. this could be useful if you have to refurbish older computers that don't have bios support for cdrom boot.

also, for your clients that want to use puppy & windows, have you considered pupwin98?

http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWin98.htm

i think there's also a thread where someone's modified it, (successfully ?), to boot with pup2x version.
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 13 Dec 2006, 10:24    Post subject: A tutorial for hard disk install  

I guess I posted early on in the discussion the link to http://ph-islands.net/pupinstall - an old tutorial of mine in hard disk install of Puppy, but my post seems to be missing. Anyway, I hope that the link can help newbies - it's also in Flash's sticky at the beginner's section.
edoc

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec 2006, 23:08    Post subject:  

muggins wrote:

also, for your clients that want to use puppy & windows, have you considered pupwin98?

http://www.freeveda.org/linux/puppy/PupWin98.htm

i think there's also a thread where someone's modified it, (successfully ?), to boot with pup2x version.

Anyone know where the Puppy 2.x verion of pupwin98 resides,
please?

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006, 06:25    Post subject:  

hi edoc,

this is the link i was referring to:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?highlight=windows&t=12491

icpug also has a useful guide for windows users here:

http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/linnwin/step00-linnwin.htm
Leith

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006, 14:49    Post subject: Simple Installer  

I've now managed to get Puppy version 2.11 installed onto the hard disc. After much trial and error - good learning strategy - I've managed to copy vmlinus, initrd.gz and pup_211.sfs copied to a /boot directory. I've moved menu.lst to the same folder and have modified the menu.lst file to include the following:
timeout 10
title Puppy Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinus root=/dev/ram0
initrd /boot/initrd.gz

I can't for the life of me find the file zdrv_211.sfs on the CD to move it into the same directory as the other "important" files.

I am now getting the error:
ERROR: cant find Puppy on 'idehd' boot media. Pupmode=9 Pdev=hda1 exited to initial-ramdisk (/dev/ram0) command line. (the linux-guru can now debug, 'e3' editor is available)

I feel I'm getting closer each time I play with the system, certainly I'm learning more about the linux operating system - which can't be bad!!

Is the error message above associated with the file zdrv_211.sfs? and
Where (expletive deleted!!) can I find the zdrv_211.sfs file on the CD?

If I could crack this I'd be a happy happy puppy user!!! Smile

Can anybody help please. Thanks in anticipation.
muggins

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006, 20:16    Post subject:  

leith,

i thought zdrv_2xx.sfs only came out with pupversion 2.12. with 2.12, you can download an iso with zdrv_212.sfs included, or download them separately. see:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

for your menu.lst and a frugal install, besides copying initrd.gz, vmlinuz & pup_2xx.sfs, there's also a small file idehd

then in menu.lst you would have:

root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.gz

some people have reported success with replacing the second line with:

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ro vga=normal
raffy

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2006, 23:39    Post subject: vmlinuz and root  

Tips: use "vmlinuz" - I saw that it's vmlinus (with s) above.

If vmlinuz and initrd.gz are in /boot directory, those entries are fine. But pup_211.sfs should be in root (that is, outside, not inside any directory).

Page 2 of 2 [28 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Suggestions
Jump to: