Mounting a Win95 Filesystem - Japanese Version

Using applications, configuring, problems
tallthom

Mounting a Win95 Filesystem - Japanese Version

#1 Post by tallthom »

Have Puppy 5.1 booted in a system with an old HDD with a Win95 Japanese FS on it. I need to copy off some of the data, but can't seem to find a way to mount the FS.

Puppy doesn't detect the HDD at boot (i.e. no desktop icon) although using Gparted will show it as "unallocated". I know the FS still works because I can boot the Windows 95 to some degree on the old machine, but I just don't have any medium for removing the data that way (floppy is not working) and there is no networking. (Actually, the keyboard and mouse on that machine are missing - don't ask me why!)

I moved the HDD into a newer system and booted Puppy hoping to have a go at mounting the FS and copying the data off. I'm able to see the disk, so I imagine if I can get the FS driver I could have a go at mounting it...

Needing a "MacGyver" fix here if anyone has some thoughts or ideas.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

FS - sorry ..what's that??

If you can see the drive...surely you can mount it.

Disclaimer...you are using a usb HDD shell right.
Some older units needed 2 usb ports to mount .

Some usb ports are iffy.

Try a rear port....usually better.

Have a backup usb to copy files to.
Or copy to a cd-dvd.

Chris.

Kosh

#3 Post by Kosh »

FS = file system. :D

Good ideas though.

However, maybe you should try a different distribution, one that has support for Japanese. Maybe even one that is made in Japan. You'd think it had support for their old DOS-era file system.
Check this out: http://nihongoperapera.com/japanese-linux.html

tallthom

#4 Post by tallthom »

@cthisbear - Yes, sorry... fs is "file system" which is non-standard terminology, I guess. :oops:

I've actually got the drive connected by the IDE channel directly (internally), not via USB. I can "see" the drive in the hardware list - gparted can make access to it - but the file system on the drive is unrecognizable by Puppy so it reports "unallocated" and has no way of mounting it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what kind of command to use to mount the Japanese DOS file system - weren't the code streams separate back then? I'm going to try a Japanese Linux distribution to have a go (as per your suggestion @Kosh), but nothing really works as well as Puppy :D

Anyway, thank you both for your replies. I appreciate them.

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

fs is "file system"

Yeah! Sorry mate....
our Sydney smog getting into my brain cell.
Now I know how an Amoeba feels.

'''''''''''''''''

" but nothing really works as well as Puppy '

http://openlab.jp/puppylinux/index.html.en

Puppy Linux Japanese Edition

There you go...based on 4.3.1

Chris.