Booting lupu-510.iso from Grub2?

Using applications, configuring, problems
TheTick

Booting lupu-510.iso from Grub2?

#1 Post by TheTick »

I have Ubuntu and Parted Magic .isos that I'm able to boot from Grub2, but I can't seem to get lupu-510.iso to boot. I must be missing something with grub2. Below is my menuentry:

menuentry "Lupu 5.1" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,2)
loopback loop (hd0,2)/boot/iso/lupu-510.iso
linux (loop)/vmlinuz isoloop=/boot/iso/lupu-510.iso
initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

Note (hd0,2) is the correct drive and the other isos that boot fine are on this drive in the same /boot/iso directory.

The Linux image is loaded but fails to find the .sfs files. Do I need an insmod for some other filesystem?

ICPUG

#2 Post by ICPUG »

Puppy is not configured to boot from iso.

At its simplest you have to extract 3 files from the iso - vmlinuz, initrd.gz and the .sfs file.

You can place these files down 1 directory level at most - not two like you did with the iso.

I have no knowledge of grub2 configuration so I leave you to sort the config file. If you use a subdirectory of /puppy510 for storage then a kernel parmater of psubdir=puppy510 can help (but is not essential if you have only one puppy).

Kosh

#3 Post by Kosh »

You managed to boot Parted Magic from iso? What's your menuentry for that?
What other isos are you booting?

TheTick

#4 Post by TheTick »

I have only tried the isos I mentioned above and an Ubuntu Rescue Remix (similar menu entry as any Ubuntu iso). By the way below are my grub2 menuentries for the other two images.

menuentry "SystemRescueCd 1.5.8" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,2)
loopback loop (hd0,2)/boot/iso/systemrescuecd-x86-1.5.8.iso
linux (loop)/isolinux/rescuecd setkmap=us isoloop=/boot/iso/systemrescuecd-x86-1.5.8.iso
initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz
}

menuentry "Test Parted Magic ISO" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,2)
loopback loop (hd0,2)/boot/iso/pmagic-5.4.iso
linux (loop)/pmagic/bzImage iso_filename=/boot/iso/pmagic-5.4.iso boot=live load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 noeject noprompt
initrd (loop)/pmagic/initramfs
}

Kosh

#5 Post by Kosh »

Thanks, I'll try that.
I had not managed to get it to work. At least it's easy to extract to a folder and use it that way, unlike, say, Zenwalk, which is a fine distribution, but a pain to run from a USB stick, at least in a multi-boot environment.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

The Linux image is loaded but fails to find the .sfs files.

Perhaps you should not put the puppy vmlinuz, initrd.gz and lupu-510.iso on the top level of the filesystem or different folders.

It seems that the search for the .sfs file is reduced to the first and second level of the dir tree.

Putting the .iso not to /boot/iso/ which means third dir level but to /boot/ or `mkdir /bootpuppy` could fix it I guess.

HTH