simpler file layout

Using applications, configuring, problems
bill

GoboLinux vs Others in Directory structure

#61 Post by bill »

Hi All,Well being new to ALL LiveCD distros and being a professed Junkie at trying them all out,I decided to have a affair with GoboLinux.After going through the motions I finally had to boot to Puppy Dingo and then change horses in the middle of the stream just to get GoboLinux online and connected to the internet.This may be because of my lack of experience but anyway this worked for me.Since I am Linux challenged I can understand what Miriam is saying about file structures and keeping ALL packages Complete in the respective directory.This has been my biggest confusion about Puppy but hey ! Puppy Dingo worked from the get go so I think I will stand down as to making any comment on how this should be done.I don't doubt that many newbies who have tryed to audit GoboLInux but not being able to query it on the net is a recipe for disaster in demoing their "better mousetrap" ??? If anyone is like me,and you have the same issue,whistle for the Puppy,it will get you sorted.:o) cheers,bill

bill

A FrankensteinPuppy (Dingo) perhaps !?!?!?

#62 Post by bill »

Apparently in my ignorance of LInux in general and changing the CD from Puppy (Dingo) to GoboLInux (midstream) this makes me think that the Puppy plays well with others.So some out of the box thinking is ? Would it be possible to morph(port ?) some Gobolinux to the Puppy ? I will leave this insanity in your capable hands,it is way past my pay grade but not beyond my imagination.cheers,bill

bill

Modification addition to your current Puppy

#63 Post by bill »

Here is a link describing a "Rootless" addition to your present distro for testing GoboLinux file structure.
http://www/gobolinux.org/?page=rootless

Karl Godt

#64 Post by Karl Godt »

I want to agree with miriam and Flash and people that think the same direction.

The directory structure is difficult to use because file could be in /usr/share or /usr/local fe. .

Why do I find icons at /usr/local ?
I haven`t created them !

Why do I find icons at /usr/local/lib ?
Icons I guess belong to 'galery'

To change all the directory structure could really harm the desktop `env`ironment (icon-path for menu aso.)