Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Jul 2019, 07:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
WakePup 1.0 - New, alternate Puppy boot floppy released
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
lucdoc

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2005, 03:38    Post subject: great job!...but.....  

well, i have make all good: floppy boots , find my usb drives ( cdrom or hd )
it incoming loading , but stops at this point:
loading kernel "E:\VMLINUZ"
so what i can do???
thankyou very much
pakt

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct 2005, 13:21    Post subject: Re: great job!...but.....  

lucdoc wrote:
...but stops at this point:
loading kernel "E:\VMLINUZ"

Sounds like you computer hangs while running VMLINUZ. Might be that the file is corrupt. You might try again with a new copy of VMLINUZ on your drive and see what happens.

Good luck Smile
mdcapt

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2005, 01:37    Post subject:  

I have a viking 512MB usb 2.0 stick that I am trying to be able to boot from. The computers I use are not able to boot from the stick itself, so I have tried both the boot2pup floppy image and the wakepup floppy image.

I have followed the instructions for copying the required files to the usb stick and making the pupxusb file, and I have followed the instructions for making the floppy images, but when I boot from the floppy, it does its' scan for devices and returns "target usb device not found".

Is there something I am missing or failing to do? I realize this might not be enough info, so please let me know what else I need to provide you with. Thanks in advance.
pakt

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov 2005, 03:55    Post subject:  

mdcapt wrote:
I have a viking 512MB usb 2.0 stick <snip> when I boot from the floppy, it does its' scan for devices and returns "target usb device not found".

The message means that your USB stick is either not compatible with the USB driver in BOOT2PUP/WakePup or that the file system on the USB stick is not recognized by the driver. This should be FAT 16. You might try reformating the stick and and see if that helps.

Please let us know how it turns out. There are many Puppy owners that would like to know which USB memory sticks will work.

BTW, when you test your USB stick next time, you might try using WakeUSB instead of WakePup. WakeUSB is compatible with Barry's "Install Puppy USB drive" wizard, option 2. See http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3352 for further info.

Good luck
Smile
mdcapt

PostPosted: Tue 08 Nov 2005, 23:45    Post subject:  

pakt

Thanks for your info and sorry it has been so long since I have posted back. I was trying different things out. So far, I have tried all three boot floppies and the viking stick on 3 laptops(acer travelmate, sony vaio, toshiba portege) and two desktop (both dells) and have not had any luck. I am afraid for now that I am going to have to chalk this one up to a puppy-phobic stick, unless someone else has gotten this stick to work.

I did try this stick with a feather linux boot floppy and it did boot up, but locked up not long into the boot process. I would think there might be a way to reconfigure the feather linux boot floppy to be used by puppy, but I haven't had the time to work with that yet. I will mess with that a bit and if I get it to work, I will post my results back here. Anyway, thanks again for your tips.
pakt

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2005, 04:08    Post subject:  

nmwinow wrote:
Hi pakt, I tried wakepup and wasn't sucessful. I'll try some more, but I'm posting now because you asked for feedback.

Thanks nmwinow.
nmwinow wrote:
I downloaded and unzipped wakepup.exe, ran makedisk, and tried to boot. When I do I get the repeating message "FreeDOS" until the line fills, then a new line, on and on until I'm tired of watching new lines fill with "FreeDOS".

I might have other problems, because I can't see any of the files on the floppy. There are 474kb worth of them there, but I can't see them.

I assume you got the repeating lines "FreeDOS" when booting the floppy. It sounds like there are corrupt files on it. Could you try again with an new floppy disk?

nmwinow wrote:
Also I don't know for sure that this USB thumb drive will boot. It would on another machine with pup 0.9.9, but it won't on the same machine with pup1.0.4. The 4 needed files (vmlinuz, usr_cram.fs, image.gz, and syslinux.cfg) are there, as is pupxusb.

You could also try my test version of WakeUSB (http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3352) on floppy. I would like feedback on that boot utility as well.

Good luck Smile
mdcapt

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov 2005, 21:17    Post subject:  

pakt

I tried all three boot floppies with my viking stick and did not get any of them to boot, although I did get the stick to at least be recognized and partially booted by a feather linux boot floppy, so I am assuming(maybe incorrectly, so if anyone knows of something else I might try, please let me know) that the viking stick is not supported yet. So I tried with a sandisk 512 cruzer micro with the wakeusb boot floppy, and it has booted just fine. Thanks for your info and help.
pakt

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov 2005, 03:59    Post subject:  

mdcapt wrote:
pakt

I tried all three boot floppies with my viking stick and did not get any of them to boot, although I did get the stick to at least be recognized and partially booted by a feather linux boot floppy, so I am assuming(maybe incorrectly, so if anyone knows of something else I might try, please let me know) that the viking stick is not supported yet. So I tried with a sandisk 512 cruzer micro with the wakeusb boot floppy, and it has booted just fine. Thanks for your info and help.

Glad I could help Smile

I've also found the USB flash pens from Sandisk to work. (Of the three I have, the other two are a PNY Attache and a TwinMOS Mobile Disk and only work with newer PCs)
RevX

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun 2006, 14:03    Post subject: How I got my USB stick booting with Puppy Linux 2.00  

I finally managed to set up a boot floppy disk for my USB stick (256MB, www.powerram.at).
I've spent many hours (and was about to give up at some point) and now I want to share
my knowledge and findings with you - hoping that they may help someone.

Here's the full story:
I grabbed Puppy Linux 2.00, burnt the image on a CD-RW, ran Puppy Linux from it,
and used it to create a bootable USB stick (well, the official documentation is a bit
outdated related to the single steps on how to perform this). In addition, I've put
Isolinux.cfg and pupxusb (dummy marker file) on it.

OK, time for a first try. I put boot2pup on a floppy disk, but it didn't work - the
Panasonic ASPI manager for USB mass-storage could detect the two USB controllers (UHCI)
but failed to find an USB device. Well, next try: WakePup. Same problem as before,
damn it. Last hope: WakeUsb. But same problem as before. So this was my first big
problem, the 'oh so great' ASPI manager (USBASPI.SYS) didn't cope with my USB stick.

I've then made some Internet investigations. I found DAT.EXE which also didn't work
and an iomega_usb_firewire_dos_driver_boot_disk.ZIP. Latter one came with three
USB device driver files (aspiehci.sys, aspiohci.sys, aspiuhci.sys) which are loaded
in the config.sys with several variations in passed parameters. And - bingo! -
aspiuhci.sys found my USB stick!!! So I had my working USB driver now.

OK, time for a second try. Again, boot2pup on a floppy disk, but no success again.
tiny.exe (called in the autoexec.bat) just rebooted my PC. Damn it! OK, time for
WakePup again. And after some tweaking - IT WORKED! Booted from USB stick. The magic
of 21st century technology. Smile (I really was enthusiastic about it, but I guess you
have already figured that out.) If my time allows it, I'll also try WakeUSB with the
aspiuhci.sys driver.

Here comes the interesting hint section:
In case you also have problems finding a working driver for your USB device, go get
that Iomega package, and see which entry in the config.sys is successful. When you
know this, take your driver (and the parameters) and use it for boot2pup, WakePup,
or WakeUsb (or whatever) instead of the default Panasonic ASPI manager. Also, notice
which drive (letter) your USB stick is assigned to.
It might be possible that you need to modify the autoexec.bat, too. Depending on which
'boot system' you use (and how many partitions you already have) you have to add more
drive letters to be checked and/or modify the LASTDRIVE setting (set it to Z).
Next thing: all the boot packages check for an image.gz file but it is called
initrd.gz in the Puppy Linux 2.00 version!!! So, fix the autoexec.bat accordingly.
Finally, you can optimize your config.sys and autoexec.bat (remove unnecessary checks
and/or CD driver loadups, etc.). This requires some basic batch file processing knowledge.

I hope I didn't forget something important... The various packages can be easily
found by using a search engine of your choice.

Good luck!
Leon

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun 2006, 16:02    Post subject: Re: How I got my USB stick booting with Puppy Linux 2.00  

RevX wrote:
I've then made some Internet investigations. I found DAT.EXE which also didn't work and an iomega_usb_firewire_dos_driver_boot_disk.ZIP.
Latter one came with three USB device driver files (aspiehci.sys, aspiohci.sys, aspiuhci.sys) which are loaded in the config.sys with several variations in passed parameters. And - bingo! - aspiuhci.sys found my USB stick!

I made many unsuccessful attempts until I found your post. I tried with aspiuhci.sys and it found my Canyon CN-USB20EFD1024A (Aluminum_1024MB) USB stick.

Many thanks for many very useful informations!
kevanf1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2006, 16:28    Post subject:  

Hi there. I have a Sony Vaio Picturebook notebook PC. It will only boot from a special USB floppy drive. I have a CD drive with it which locates in a PCMCIA port. Can I use wake2pup to boot as a floppy then insert the puppy linux CD and install onto a bare drive from there? Does this work the same way as the mkbootfloppy did in older distro's?
JohnMurga
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2006, 17:14    Post subject:  

I remember it used to be possible to to boot the old 128Mb builds on my Vaio directly from the PCMCIA drive without any cheatcodes or the USB drive ...

I don't know what the situation is now as I haven't tried it a while.

Cheers
JohnM
kevanf1

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2006, 05:40    Post subject:  

Hmmm, I'll pop the CD in and see what happens Smile
Sit Heel Speak

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2006, 11:11    Post subject:  

This seems like a good place to suggest pakt's wkpup2x_img.zip and modified initrd.gz, for booting Puppy 2 from a USB stick through a PCMCIA adapter. Downloadable at

http://www.puppyos.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=345
pakt

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul 2006, 02:13    Post subject:  

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
This seems like a good place to suggest pakt's wkpup2x_img.zip and modified initrd.gz, for booting Puppy 2 from a USB stick through a PCMCIA adapter. Downloadable at

http://www.puppyos.com/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=345

Sit Heel Speak, thanks for pointing that out.

Another advantage with booting a USB stick through a USB2 PCMCIA adapter is that the USB sticks that I have that didn't work with WakePup/WakePup2 when plugged into a USB1 port, worked with the adapter. Apparently the Panasonic USBASPI driver detects USB2 hardware better than USB1.

Paul
Page 3 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: