Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Jul 2019, 01:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
WakePup 1.0 - New, alternate Puppy boot floppy released
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
pakt

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2005, 03:12    Post subject:  

nmwinow wrote:
I downloaded and unzipped wakepup.exe, ran makedisk, and tried to boot. When I do I get the repeating message "FreeDOS" until the line fills, then a new line, on and on until I'm tired of watching new lines fill with "FreeDOS".

I might have other problems, because I can't see any of the files on the floppy. There are 474kb worth of them there, but I can't see them.

I tried Barry's boot floppy thing and never could get it to work either.
nmwinow, thanks for the feedback. You had problems with both wakepup and boot2pup floppies. That seems to point to a problem with the floppy disks. Here are some thoughts that come to mind:

- Did you write the images to the floppies from the same disk drive that you're booting from? One of the drives could be misaligned.

- Try reading the contents of the floppy on another computer. If you still can't read the contents, that would point to a problem in writing the images to the floppies or a defective floppy.

- Did you try with more than one floppy? The disk could be defective.

- If you have access to DOS or Windows, you could try making a wakepup floppy using the self-extracting archive version instead and see if that works.

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug 2005, 16:24    Post subject:  

Thanks, Pakt. I wrote from the same drive that I tried to boot from, but I only tried that one floppy. The version I used was the win self extractor. I need to try some more. I have access to 4 pcs but each one has something puppy doesn't like, if I had one complete machine without a problem, maybe 'd get it together.
jsavage

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2005, 17:43    Post subject: Starting Puppy from MSDOS (win98)  

The only bootable volume on my Tosh Sat Pro 420CDS is the internal hard disk which currently contains Windows 98. I assume I can use a similar soln to boot puppy from autoexec.bat. Are the instructions for this documented anywhere ?

James
MiniMe

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2005, 23:43    Post subject: New commands  

I am an experienced DOS user and there are some commands that can be replaced to make autoexec.bat it easier and the file can be much smaller. For instance the commands that do go to e:, then f:, or whatever; for usb, I think you can do %usbdrive%\whatever.evr. Okay, just an example. For the CD drive, I know you can do %usbdrive%\blabla.bla, just another example. I hope it works for you. Mr. Green
MiniMe

PostPosted: Sat 10 Sep 2005, 23:44    Post subject: Sorry!  

Sorry. Embarassed For the CD drive, I meant %cddrive%\blabla.bla.
pakt

PostPosted: Sun 11 Sep 2005, 08:36    Post subject: Re: Starting Puppy from MSDOS (win98)  

jsavage wrote:
The only bootable volume on my Tosh Sat Pro 420CDS is the internal hard disk which currently contains Windows 98. I assume I can use a similar soln to boot puppy from autoexec.bat. Are the instructions for this documented anywhere ?
James
James, you might try 'Puppy in Linux for Win98' at this location: http://www.psyplan.com/puppy.htm
friend

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep 2005, 19:38    Post subject: no floppy  

My laptop thinks it's modern enough to not come with a floppy drive, but not modern enough to boot from usb.. pfft :/

Well, so I'm wondering if I can just make a cd with the same stuff in it that is supposed to be in the pupxwake floppy.. will it work the same?
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep 2005, 21:52    Post subject:  

you can make boot cds from floppy images
there are a number of ways to do it

you can do it using mkisofs something like this:

Code:
mkisofs -J -r -b WAKEPUP -c boot.cat -o /tmp/cdimage.iso /tmp/cdimage/

this makes a bootable cd iso called cdimage.iso from a floppy image file called WAKEPUP, and adds all the files in /tmp/cdimage/ to the cd ... copy the WAKEPUP file to /tmp/cdimage/ first

here's an iso made from the wakepup boot floppy image using mkisofs ... NOT TESTED ... i have no idea if it works
friend

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2005, 14:41    Post subject: wow  

I must say, PuppyLinux kicks the progeny of a horse and a donkey. Not only did I get the answer, I got the answerI needed, but the iso too. It's like magic!

def thanks
puts "thaaaaaank you"
end

thanks.times(1000)

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2005, 18:00    Post subject: Puppy Boot Floppy to Recognize hdd .iso?  

How about the other direction?

Let's say I have a system without a CD-ROM drive or USB port, and wish to install Puppy to the hdd of that very system. The system has a floppy drive for using boot2pup or wakepup, a hard drive, a network connection, and a parallel port.

I could download the <100MB puppy-xxx.iso using another system, copy the .iso to an Iomega Zip disk, and then transfer this iso to the above system's hdd (no CD-ROM or USB) using the parallel-port.

Q: Once I have the puppy-xxx.iso from the original CD-size downloaded (and not via a "floppies iso" ) on the hdd of my system, then which of the above bootable floppy disks will allow me to recognize and then completely install the iso existing on the hdd of the system that I want to install this on ??

Some of the older Knoppix 3.x versions have the type of boot utility I am seeking, called from the 'mkbootfloppy' command. Once these boot floppies are made and used to reboot the systems where the same iso-version is already on the system hdd's, then the Knopiix 'bootfrom' cheatcode on these floppies can recognize and run the Knoppix .iso on these systems.

Wish a similar thing for Puppy. What can do this?
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2005, 21:59    Post subject:  

Beats me Smile

I know another way though, as I was in a similar situation before I got my cd burner. This is assuming you have Windows on it. There are programs for Windows that can open an iso and extract the guts. Barry had a link to one on one of his pages; I'll see if I can find it for you. With it, you can pull out usr_cram.fs, vmlinuz, and image.gz, stick them on the hd, make pupxide, and use the floppy to boot. Bam!

Otherwise, you could extract the files on another system and transfer them with the zip disk.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2005, 22:25    Post subject:  

if you can copy the iso to your hard drive you can probably copy the files in the iso (on the cd) to your hard drive
just copy the files vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_cram.fs
put a pupxide file on your hard drive (i think you can copy it from the floppy) and Puppy should boot from the floppy

if it works ok from the floppy, you can install Grub on your hard drive if you like so that you don't need to boot from the floppy

basically what Pizzasgood said
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2005, 22:31    Post subject:  

http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster

That's what I used before I got my burner. It might take some getting used to, but it gets the job done. Wink

Liam

PostPosted: Sun 02 Oct 2005, 22:06    Post subject:  

Can this be used to boot other Linux distributions or just Puppy?
Thanks.
greenboy

PostPosted: Sun 09 Oct 2005, 12:59    Post subject:  

Hi, I tried to use the Isobuster program but got this error:
Unreadible sector
I tried several files wmlinuz and so on.
I tries to ectract it to USB device
whats wrong?

Thanks
Page 2 of 3 [45 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: